1999 LX - What can the AHC system handle and should I swap it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a 1999 LX and it is stock, been babied and only has 137 light miles on it. I am planning to add a few things like rear bumper, roof rack, maybe a roof top tent, to be able to do some light to moderate overland camping with the wife, 2 boys (5 and 2) and doberman. My concern is how much weight the AHC system can sustain before I will start to seriously damage it.

I have seen posts where some of you with the AHC in the 1999-2004 LX's are able to do some decent off roading and one post I loved where a guy was showing a picture of him in his LX at a summit next to another 100 series LC and he was talking about how his ride was so much smoother on the way up, and I was thinking to myself that is what I was hoping for, but again, I am concerned about thrashing the system by putting all this extra weight on it.

Anyone done a moderate build and kept the AHC intact?
Thank you mud

Interested in this as well. While I will not be going quite as big as you, I would like to see what these systems are capable of. Have one that I am planning on taking a look at that is in good condition. Mine will mainly do tow duty vs. the RTT and Armor.

This has been discussed a good bit. Here is one thread that has a bunch of good information regarding how AHC works as a balance of your coil springs and the hydraulic system to support the weight of the truck. Pay particular attention to everything that @PADDO has to say as he is the AHC authority here. The short version is that as you add more weight you will need heavier rear springs and possibly spacers or heavier torsion bars up front so that the hydraulic system is not overworked. It is doable, however. I've got sliders, and am going to be adding a front bumper and winch and maybe rear drawers with the plan being to keep AHC. Already have King springs in the rear and my pressures are, if anything too low currently.

Also, @Ramathorn15 has a really nice build with his AHC intact so check him out.

When you find out let me know. I just bought a 2013 and am finding it hard to get sliders and bumper.
You might want to slide on over to the 200-Series forum since you have a 2013. I believe the AHC is a different setup between the 100 and the 200 models.

It's alllllll about neutral pressures. Simply ensure your springs and torsion bars are matched to the weight of the rig. I think AHC can handle an awful lot if you take care to match your springs appropriately.

For bumpers, opt for aluminum versions if you can. It'll cost a little more, but the weight savings will avoid adding unnecessary weight.

Agree with the above. Easy to get too heavy on these trucks regardless of AHC. I’ve got a dissent aluminum bumper on the way and am in general watching my weight.

This has been discussed a good bit. Here is one thread that has a bunch of good information regarding how AHC works as a balance of your coil springs and the hydraulic system to support the weight of the truck. Pay particular attention to everything that @PADDO has to say as he is the AHC authority here. The short version is that as you add more weight you will need heavier rear springs and possibly spacers or heavier torsion bars up front so that the hydraulic system is not overworked. It is doable, however. I've got sliders, and am going to be adding a front bumper and winch and maybe rear drawers with the plan being to keep AHC. Already have King springs in the rear and my pressures are, if anything too low currently.

Also, @Ramathorn15 has a really nice build with his AHC intact so check him out.
These are great points.

I have been asking the same questions myself recently (mostly because on black Friday I was convinced I should buy a front bumper, rear bumper, and sliders....). Most posts recommend better rear springs (typically the King KTRS-79s) and adjusting your torsion bars. If you still are not good on your pressures, purchase some LC torsion bars. Rather than a black Friday bumper splurge, I opted for a cheap ($50) old laptop for a techstream, a techstream, and the king coils.

I have a pretty intense build and won't get rid of my AHC until I absolutely have to.

Here's just some of my stuff that added weight:

Front and rear bumpers
Winch
Roof rack
Roof top tent
Steel drawers
4 gallon air tank
16 gallon water tank
1/8" steel skidplate for the water/air tanks
Fridge

You just have to get creative and adapt the system. I'm actually using standard torsion bars and coils off a 250k mile LC. My pressures are on point.

I have a pretty intense build and won't get rid of my AHC until I absolutely have to.

Here's just some of my stuff that added weight:

Front and rear bumpers
Winch
Roof rack
Roof top tent
Steel drawers
4 gallon air tank
16 gallon water tank
1/8" steel skidplate for the water/air tanks
Fridge

You just have to get creative and adapt the system. I'm actually using standard torsion bars and coils off a 250k mile LC. My pressures are on point.

Sliders?

Excellent,
that is what I was hoping to fin out, thank you for all of your input, I think I am going to have the shop upgrade the springs which will also allow me to handle the 285/75/16 's that I am putting on, sticking with stock wheels and new rear bumper for now

Just went on a trip and had the rig super heavy, stayed in a downtown hotel on the way back. Without AHC I wouldn't have fit in the garage and parking would have been a nightmare. Also wouldn't be able to fit it in my own garage. Huuuge plus.

Just went on a trip and had the rig super heavy, stayed in a downtown hotel on the way back. Without AHC I wouldn't have fit in the garage and parking would have been a nightmare. Also wouldn't be able to fit it in my own garage. Huuuge plus.

One of the driving factors in trading up my 99LC for a 06/07 LX with AHC is to give myself breathing room in my garage. I have a 4 post lift that the cruiser lives under and I've got about 1" clearance with my summer tires right now. An extra couple of inches would be a huge benefit. I could use the roof rack for something for once.

For reference, I have a TJM front bumper with winch, slee sliders and slee rear bumper with spare. I run abot 2" of AHC lift and have cranked the T-bars and added rear spring spacers. Rides like factory, but any more than 800lbs of people or gear, it drops to low mode. stock non-AHC rear springs would likly fix this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom