1999 LX 470 is this a good deal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am currently being offered a 1999 Lexus LX 470 1 owner in trade for my 2000 jeep wrangler Lexus has just over 150,000 miles all service completed at a lexus dealer in Rockville MD has not been driven much in the last 10 years maybe 8,000 miles timing belt water pump etc. done at 144,000 miles it is clean and has been garage kept what are the things I should be aware of on these or should I stay away waiting on dealer to let me take it to my mechanic to go over first before any decisions are made. Just want to make sure I cover all my bases. Did sign onto the Lexus sight for service history 27 pages most in the first 9 years of life.

Thank you,
Dan

So many factors to consider. What's the value/condition of your Jeep? Plenty of "what should I look for" purchasing threads if you search to give you an idea of what to check out condition wise. I'd say on the whole, the Lex will be more reliable and have much better resale than a Jeep, but if your Jeep is a built Rubicon and you're using it for wheeling, the Lex won't match that out of the box.

It is a dealer not an individual I bought the Jeep at this dealer and it had some issues he is trying to make it right by offering me the Lexus the jeep has 154000 miles hardtop straight 6 4.0 5 speed sport not a Rubicon no lift just a stock sport jeep.
Thank you for the responses I am just trying to get a feel for the Lexus as I am not familiar with them have been reading through the posts though.

if you're asking for advice on what to look for when purchasing a 1999 LX there are many threads on this, the search function is very easy to use on iH8mud. for any truck of that age, you will be putting money into fixing aged equipment. The AHC suspension should be the first thing to look into. If you plan on offloading, keep in mind the 1999 LX does not have ATRAC, VSC, and a 2 pinion front diff. Those upgrades came on 2000 and up models.

If you're asking if the LX is better value than a jeep, hands down. You are in a land cruiser forum after all! Take it for a test drive and see if you like the way it drives and handles. the IFS should make on road feel a lot more comfortable vs. the jeep. My decision is bias but if i was presented an opportunity for a trade like this, i would jump on it. Depending, of course, on the condition of both vehicles.

It is a dealer not an individual I bought the Jeep at this dealer and it had some issues he is trying to make it right by offering me the Lexus the jeep has 154000 miles hardtop straight 6 4.0 5 speed sport not a Rubicon no lift just a stock sport jeep.
Thank you for the responses I am just trying to get a feel for the Lexus as I am not familiar with them have been reading through the posts though.

Last edited:
has not been driven much in the last 10 years maybe 8,000 miles timing belt water pump etc. done at 144,000 miles

Maybe 8000 miles in 10 years? So if it has 150000 miles and the TB/WP was done at 144000, that was 6000 miles ago. How many years ago was it? Did this thing get driven 8000 miles 9 years ago and then sit until a week ago?

These are relevant questions you will need to ask/consider.

Maybe 8000 miles in 10 years? So if it has 150000 miles and the TB/WP was done at 144000, that was 6000 miles ago. How many years ago was it? Did this thing get driven 8000 miles 9 years ago and then sit until a week ago?

These are relevant questions you will need to ask/consider.

Water pump timing belt done at 143246 along with spark plugs power steering flush repacked front wheel bearings but all this was done in 2008 story is guy had it parked at his a vacation house and was used as a vehicle when they were there. service records since then are new battery o2 sensor oil changes periodically a/c recharge so basically it has sat for the most part for 10 years.

if you're asking for advice on what to look for when purchasing a 1999 LX there are many threads on this, the search function is very easy to use on iH8mud. for any truck of that age, you will be putting money into fixing aged equipment. The AHC suspension should be the first thing to look into. If you plan on offloading, keep in mind the 1999 LX does not have ATRAC, VSC, and a 2 pinion front diff. Those upgrades came on 2001 and up models.

If you're asking if the LX is better value than a jeep, hands down. You are in a land cruiser forum after all! Take it for a test drive and see if you like the way it drives and handles. the IFS should make on road feel a lot more comfortable vs. the jeep. My decision is bias but if i was presented an opportunity for a trade like this, i would jump on it. Depending, of course, on the condition of both vehicles.

Those upgrades are 2000 model year, not 2001.

Do it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom