1999 LC - needs more work (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK. I bought a 1999 LC for cash off a 3 year lease with 35K miles on it. It now has 114,000 miles. In the last 4 months I have done 1) near FR and Rear Brakes rotors and pads. 2) new timing belt and water pump (as precaution) 3) new exhaust system, muffler, etc. These three repairs cost me more than $3500. Today I learned that I need 4 new injectors, coil packs plugs etc. for $1600. Or $2200 if I repair all 8 injectors. So, while I love this car, is it time to trade in? I will be at $6k in repairs in last 4 months! Was I just due for all this? The last 2 years had been basically repair-free until all this went wrong when I hit 110,000 miles. Thanks Eddie

You're getting hosed on your repair rates. Why do you need all new injectors? Do you have a check engine light on? Truck running rough? Coil packs are not uncommon to fail, but it's almost always a single one and it's something that is VERY easy to replace on your own for about $80.

thanks for reply. check engine light on blinking and truck running rough, for sure. guy said may want to do all 8 injectors bc of labor costs for next time the other 4 fail. ill ask about just replacing one coil pack. can i really need 8 new spark plugs? this is helpful thanks.

I had a stumble and stall problem a year ago. ODBII scanner said it was #4 injector. Turned out to be poor connection at the wire harness/injector. Get your hands on an ODBII or ask your repair shop to give you the actual code ##'s. and post them up here. No way all 4 injectors went out at once.
WELCOME:flipoff2:

Service schedule calls for replacement of plugs at 120k, so you're about there. They're iridium plugs, little more spendy than normal.

Truck running rough is definitely a coil pack symptom. I'd get the code and see which coil pack it is (or what is it if it's not a coil pack). You should have something like C030X, where X is the cylinder that's not firing. Your mechanic may be replacing all of them as preventative maintenance, which is totally unnecessary (and expensive).

The repairs you listed in #1 and #2 (brakes, timing belt, etc.) are normal maintenance / wear items. They just happened to occur close to the same time as other repairs. Your view of overall reliability / quality should not get penalized for these.

Better labor rates notwithstanding, I'd take the money you spent for these repairs out of the equation and ask the question again, "Should I keep this vehicle even though I spent $X,XXX on exhaust and injectors/coil packs over the two year span I've owned it."

Ultimately its your question to answer, but if it were me I'd keep it.

Around 128k miles, I had to replace to coil packs (one went, replaced, then a week later another went). It is very normal to have to replace these in this car, but after I replaced the 2, I haven't had a problem (knock on wood). Timing belt has to be done, normal wear and tear (on almost all cars, excluding the ones without a timing belt/chain). Brakes, of course normal. I go through brakes a lot faster, so I know how you feel (As beautiful as California is, I go through brakes much faster than those who don't live in hilly places). Spark plugs go around then too. Honestly, keep it, you won't have much more to do once all this is taken care of.

CODES!

Here are the codes from the dealer
po301, 303, 304, 305, 307

Thanks for your feedback on these codes...

Eddy

You can replace all 4 coil packs and all 8 of the plugs for less than $400.00 doing it yourself. Coil packs are simple... a couple of the plugs are a PITA but doable. You just need a couple of swivel joints and a short extension for the DS near the firewall.

hi everyone, am new here but i have some experience on toyotas, so this will be my firs post, from the codes p0301-303-304-305-307 that means thas you have a missfire on cylinder #1 #3 #4 #4 & #7, when 2 or more trouble codes for a misfiring are recorded but a DTC p0300 is not recorded, indicates misfires were detected and stored into ECM memory al different times, so my advice is just replace all spark plugs i never saw 5 coil bad at the same time

So, bc I pay pretty high rates for labor (unavoidable),what should I do? thinking 4 injectors (rather than 8), 3 coil packs and all spark plugs. Do I have much choice? (other option is all 8 injectors). Thanks for feedback...:bang:

Not to hijack, but I've been looking to buy a 100; I read somewhere that the starters on these go out relatively early? Wonder also if the misfires could be from a bad harness? Also, could the engine have gotten wet (like from washing it or crossing a stream) setting those codes?

So, bc I pay pretty high rates for labor (unavoidable),what should I do? thinking 4 injectors (rather than 8), 3 coil packs and all spark plugs. Do I have much choice? (other option is all 8 injectors). Thanks for feedback...:bang:

From what he's saying, I'd only replace the 8 plugs and go from there.

Not to hijack, but I've been looking to buy a 100; I read somewhere that the starters on these go out relatively early? Wonder also if the misfires could be from a bad harness? Also, could the engine have gotten wet (like from washing it or crossing a stream) setting those codes?

Search for your info on starters, plenty there, also in the FAQ. For the misfires, bad harness would likely be other problems, and for getting wet, that usually only affects distributors, which the 100 doesn't have.

We have 173000 miles on our 1999 LC. One of the best if not the best vehicle that I have ever owned. Other than standard maintenance, oil changes at 3,500 miles, timing belt at 97,000 and plugs at 120000, this thing is a tank. Oh, I had to replace the antenna mast at 160,000. We are also on our 4th set of Michelin LTX tires, great road tires and super in the snow on our three or four trips to the snow every winter. Other than the gas mileage, especially last summer when it hit $5/gallon, we absolutely love it. (I almost forgot, my parking brake cable is seized, I think a coke over flowed, sat in the recess where the cable enters the cab and turned to solid, probably will have to replace the cable) Compared to my Land Rover and Porsche, this thing is the bomb! Phil

Phil - Thanks for encouragement. I feel strongly about my 1999 LC. But have had a very rough 4 month stretch. Did you replace injectors when you did spark plugs at 120k? It is a tank, expensive to own, but dollar for dollar experience best vehicle I have ever owned as well. Eddie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom