1999 Factory Rear Locker Worth it? ('99 vs '00 purchase question) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is probably way more then you will need. I have used it like 4 times. It is great to have, but not a game ending thing to have in these vehicles. The 100 is extremely capable just with the center locked, and ATRAC is very good at what it does. During HIH6 I got stuck in a pretty technical spot. I locked the rear and still had to give it a few tries to get up. The 100 behind me walked the same obstacle with little effort (still want to see those pics stan @paflytyer :p). Could be a line choice, tires, etc, but I say go for the truck you like the most, and don't base it off the locker vs ATRAC debate.

I believe this was the spot in HIH6 and I happened to take a picture of the stuck LC with rear locker and along came an LX with ATRAC - no issues at the same spot. This further convinced me that all I needed was ATRAC and was amazing to see & experience ATRAC in action at HIH6.

PICT4649.JPG

If you watch someone who knows how to work ATRAC , it will make you a believer. With that said , I have also seen it not do so well on a muddy long hill climb where speed and spinning mud was the ticket, but every where else it was fantastic. I do think that Rear locker and ATRAC front would be the best combo for just about most things.

I went with a 99 because of the locker. The front diff issue is a concern, but more of a concern was the ATRAC having to "reset" after like 8-11 seconds of usage. Not a great condition I we want to experience climbing a loose hill out in the desert. Backing down is not really an option sometimes.......

Great video! As close to apples to apples as you can get. Any idea if it was same driver on all three attempts?

I believe this was the spot in HIH6 and I happened to take a picture of the stuck LC with rear locker and along came an LX with ATRAC - no issues at the same spot. This further convinced me that all I needed was ATRAC and was amazing to see & experience ATRAC in action at HIH6.

View attachment 1333167

That would be it. Thanks for the pic also!

Great, here's 2 more pictures and that is Stan taking some close up shots at HIH6.

PICT4650.JPG

PICT4651.JPG

I think for off-road the locker is better, but for 99% of the time atrac is better, like in snow and everyday situations. I have a 99 w locker and have driven other 100's and owned a 4Runner and gx470 with atrac they were both superior in the snow. 2000 and up atrac vehicles also have vsc which is a benefit.

perhaps if @paflytyer was a better spotter, people with lockers wouldn't be getting stuck?!?!?!?!?! haha, j/k, :p I have never had anyone describe what a trail section was going to be like so specifically like Stan. I was lucky enough to have him lead us on Blackbear pass @ HIH this year. Best Spotter in town! In my personal experience, the rear locker is like the magic button. Never have I ever used it and not gotten passed an obstacle the open diff had trouble with, I also have zero experience with Atrac though. If my 99 didn't have the "weak 2 pinion front diff" I probably would have not put a front locker in.

Sold a '99 to ensure I had a vehicle with VSC. You can not out drive VSC on the road. Unbelievable what it does in emergencies. This all happened when I started driving my children around. ;<)

You can add lockers.

A-TRAC in front and locker in back. Hard to beat that combo.

My order of preference:

1) F/R locked + ATRAC
2) F/R lockers, no ATRAC
3) F or R locker + ATRAC runs a tie. Reason is, front locker adds reliability but rear locker (instead of front locker) offers more capability. Going for reliability over capability is probably the more sensible thing to do.

If I ran in more snowy/icy conditions, I'd probably flip #2 for #3

4) ATRAC only (w/ 4-pinion front and w/ a chance for a locker in the future)
5) Rear Locker (w/ 2-pinion front)
6) Rear LSD (though mine didn't really work after 90k), no ATRAC
7) No lockers, no ATRAC.

I was curious about doing something like this. Is there a write up somewhere?

i did something similar but everything is factory no slee box. i used oem locker computer box and wiring i kinda have a write up on it

I am going to look for that write up, and any others. Just picked up a dirt cheap 99 with a bad motor, but has a rear locker that would really be a nice addition to my 2000 LC.

I have done all the harder trails in Moab with my 2000 LC with ATRAC only that I used to run in my built 80. Had to do a couple things a little different, but no issues. Good aired down tires and a good driver make a big difference. I do like the VSC and ATRAC on the highway or dirt roads.

I have a 2000 LX 470. Would you go with an ARB rear locker or try an find a 99 stock elocker and have it installed (would that even work?)

I have a 99 that I added an ARB to the front, it has not stopped going forward yet

I have a 2000 LX 470. Would you go with an ARB rear locker or try an find a 99 stock elocker and have it installed (would that even work?)

Yes it would work... and between ARB and Stock locker it all depends how much you want to spend. The ARB will require a lot more $$$ and I can't say one is better than the other.

I off-road mine almost as much as on-road these days. For basic overlanding airing down with ATRAC is totally fine and the VSC is worth it. For off-road, you just can't beat a locker. I've used my factory locker countless times, usually pulling someone out on a really slick surface. It's never let me down, but of course I maintain the heck of out my Cruiser.

I'd take an ARB or Harrop locker over the OEM UZJ100 rear locker any day. The biggest difference: Time & distance it takes to engage/disengage. I've never cussed my ARB front locker. Can't say that about my OEM rear e-locker.

@iRMX
Great, here's 2 more pictures and that is Stan taking some close up shots at HIH6.

That is my rig behind the white one in the pic you posted. I walked right up that with ATRAC. I've got a video I'll try to post up for fun.

I'd take an ARB or Harrop locker over the OEM UZJ100 rear locker any day. The biggest difference: Time & distance it takes to engage/disengage. I've never cussed my ARB front locker. Can't say that about my OEM rear e-locker.

This is a good point. I definitely plan ahead when engaging mine, usually engaging it "just in case" vs need it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom