For Sale 1997 TURBO Lx450 - Feeler thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1997 Lexus LX450
168k miles. Factory working lockers. 1000 miles on complete Front Axle Rebuild.

Motor Work: at 160k miles, new Toyota head gasket, fully cleaned head and fuel injectors. 165k miles, Turbonetics T63 turbo installed with intercooler, custom downpipe, gauges, etc. Turbo runs fantastic; EGT’s run 1200-1300. Truck is 100% happy and pulls great. dash mounted ScanGauge II shows good water temps even with A/C running in Summer heat.

Brand New Toyota 93-94 Radiator (Brass core), new thermostat, fan clutch and belts

Slee Shortbus front bumper

National Luna dual battery setup with Diehard platinum primary battery.

Cargo mounted Xantrex power inverter.

Alpine head unit with ipod connection, upgraded speakers and custom cargo area 10” subwoofer, powered by JL 250/1 amp and 1 farad capacitor.

Custom one-off sliders with cat protection and textured finish powder coating.

Suspension: Heavy rear and J-Springs up front with Landtank Caster plates and new double cardon driveshaft.

Rear Cargo storage: Custom sub mount. Custom drawer box with 250LB sliders and Fridge slide with 250LB slides as well. NORCOLD 50 not included in sale.

Tires: 295 Nitto Terra Grapplers with 75% or more tread life remaining.
Price: $16k
lx450.jpg
lx450 dash.jpg
lx450 - engine.jpg

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what kind of hp/tq figures do you suppose it's putting out, and what kind of fuel economy do you see with the turbo setup?

Out of curiosity, what kind of hp/tq figures do you suppose it's putting out, and what kind of fuel economy do you see with the turbo setup?

Hard to accurately answer this. No before/after dyno was done but I think the general consensus is that with 7-8 lbs of boost it should put the 1FZ at 300-350 HP. Don't hold me to that though.

I installed the turbo with the full intentions of simply improving the drivability of 80 series. I wanted to retain the 1FZ reliability as much as increase the power. At WOT the turbo produces 9-10lbs of boost without a problem.

I RARELY go over 5 lbs of boost because 4-5lbs pushes the truck as much as I need. If I keep the truck, my next upgrade would be a valve body upgrade for the transmission.

In terms of power, I can tell you that right now it'll walk a stock 100 series. Upgrade the transmission valve body, mash the pedal and it'll probably make you smile, big time.

Gas mileage right now is about 12mpg average. I think the cold weather has had more of an effect on the consumption with the turbo versus a N/A motor.

Last edited:
Is this running any sort or aftermarket fuel or timing? Is it intercooled (re read and see it does have an IC). Any build thread to look at of this truck and set up?

Great looking truck!:cheers:

Exactly. I'm wondering which exhaust manifold you used and did you do the work yourself? If so would love to see a build up thread that I must have missed on here somewhere. Really clean rig. I really miss my supercharger but really would appreciate a turbo more.

Why you selling it?

Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. I previously owner (from stock form) Phrogg4ever's 4BT FZJ80. I seem to have a knack to building trucks, enjoying them and then wanting to do another one. I really have no huge desire to sell this, thus the "feeler thread" title.

There is no specific build thread for this truck. The turbo kit is the MGSGrunt's old kit. I have a local friend who builds and drives race cars. He helped me from start to finish, to install and improve what the kit had, like doing solid TIG welded piping and eliminating 90% of the rubber joints it had with the Intercooler setup.

The manifold is a turbonetics I believe. Here is a link to MSGrunt's install. https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/145209-97-40th-turbo-build.html

In terms of aftermarket fuel or timing, nothing has been done....not for lack of willingness though. When the truck was completed, we did install a WIDE-BAND sensor to get an accurate reading of the fuel/air ratio. As mentioned, one of my top concerns was to retain reliability. I don't want to drive around worried I was going to hurt anything. The stock 80 series setup(fuel management) seems to handle 7-9 lbs without an issue. Beyond that, I'm sure a megasquirt system or the like, would need to be pursued.

LX

Nice rig Brandon. What grade of fuel are able to run in that, regular or super unleaded?
thanks Josh

Pic's?

Can you show more pictures of the motor, and turbo install, and also describe any leaks, rust, dents? Are you thinking of any trade/partial trades with this? Any guarantee or warranty on recent turbo/motor-work? Thanks, interested maybe.

Josh,

Never run anything but premium (93) grade fuel. I've never felt a need to try a lower grade just to save a few bucks on 20 gallons.

Ducati,
I'll see if I can gather more pics. No real leaks to speak of. There might be a little wet spot at the front of the motor but I'd hardly call it a leak. Rust, non to speak of either, other then minimal surface stuff on the undercarriage. Dents, none. the rear passenger side fender flare has a spot where it rubbed against something. Other than that, only a few minimal key scratches by the driver door lock.

I've had 3 80-series trucks and seen many 80's up close over the years. This one is very clean and would be very hard to replicate at $18-20k.

Last edited:
Let me know if you decide to sell this.

William

I'm interested, as well, but at a lower price.

Interested parties can certainly PM or email if you'd like to make an offer or discuss further.

I'm more than happy to provide full list of mods with costs as well (total is about $24k).

Last edited:
Looks Great! Good luck with the sale!

LC

Josh,

Never run anything but premium (93) grade fuel. I've never felt a need to try a lower grade just to save a few bucks on 20 gallons.

My concern is that super/premium unleaded on the west coast is only 91 octane vs 93. Wouldn't want to have to add octane boost to the fuel with every fill up.
thanks Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom