1997 TLC 40th Wheels and Tires set up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could someone share his wisdom with me and help me with my dilemma...
I'm ready to move on (kind of) from keeping my 40th "stock looking", I want to upgrade wheels and tires... I'm undecided on which wheel size to use, 16", 17" or 18" and tire size 285, 295 or 305.
I believe a -12 mm or -18 mm offset will do.
What I'd like as a final product is:
1.- To have the tires stick out about 1-1/2" more to kind of be even with the fender flares.
2.- Wider look.
3.- A bit taller look.
...I'd like to keep my truck with out a lift if possible.
What configuration would you recommend so the tires won't compromise normal performance.
Thanks in advance guys!

Could someone share his wisdom with me and help me with my dilemma...
I'm ready to move on (kind of) from keeping my 40th "stock looking", I want to upgrade wheels and tires... I'm undecided on which wheel size to use, 16", 17" or 18" and tire size 285, 295 or 305.
I believe a -12 mm or -18 mm offset will do.
What I'd like as a final product is:
1.- To have the tires stick out about 1-1/2" more to kind of be even with the fender flares.
2.- Wider look.
3.- A bit taller look.
...I'd like to keep my truck with out a lift if possible.
What configuration would you recommend so the tires won't compromise normal performance.
Thanks in advance guys!
If your upgrading go with at least 17's. While there are currently tire options for 16 inch wheels they are slowly being phased out.

Tire size really depends on what you do with the truck and what you consider "normal performance". 285's should be fine with no lift. If you plan to have the tire stick out past the fender lip then you really don't want to go much taller or they could rub when the suspension compresses. If you never go off road that may not be an issue. Tire size also impacts wheel size. If you go with 285's then I would stick to 17's just to have a little more sidewall, but, if it only spends time on the pavement the 18's might be ok. Less side wall would result in slightly tighter handling but a slightly rougher ride. 285's will sap a little power but it's not too bad. I had those before I jumped up to 315's and barely noticed a difference over the stock size tires.

As for the offset I can't help ya there, never explored various options as I have no plans to move away from the stock wheels (at least until I can't get good tires anymore). You might buy a cheap set of spacers to see if you like the look of them sticking out more before investing in expensive wheels.

If your upgrading go with at least 17's. While there are currently tire options for 16 inch wheels they are slowly being phased out.

Tire size really depends on what you do with the truck and what you consider "normal performance". 285's should be fine with no lift. If you plan to have the tire stick out past the fender lip then you really don't want to go much taller or they could rub when the suspension compresses. If you never go off road that may not be an issue. Tire size also impacts wheel size. If you go with 285's then I would stick to 17's just to have a little more sidewall, but, if it only spends time on the pavement the 18's might be ok. Less side wall would result in slightly tighter handling but a slightly rougher ride. 285's will sap a little power but it's not too bad. I had those before I jumped up to 315's and barely noticed a difference over the stock size tires.

As for the offset I can't help ya there, never explored various options as I have no plans to move away from the stock wheels (at least until I can't get good tires anymore). You might buy a cheap set of spacers to see if you like the look of them sticking out more before investing in expensive wheels.
Yes, normal performance in my case would be 70% pavement and 30% wet dirt 😁 ( no heavy mud, what a waste right 😬)....so as long as tires don't impede turning and suspension movements I'm ok.
I believe back spacing could be an issue if I go over .285's?
Thanks for the share brother!

I would look at Icon wheels if you consider non OEM, which is likely due to the newer and bigger OEM wheels have positive offset. I haven’t researched directly for the 80 series, but I bet several members have.

To give you a reference point here are 295/75/16 on stock wheels and stock suspension. I think this is the largest tire that look and perform decently on a stock height truck. Personally, If I changed wheel size I would stay with those similar tire dimensions.
8D1FC5F2-7965-4728-A65C-D63F8B9ADBE5.jpeg
34D28EBC-2D43-4E09-9A95-ECBB99F874FC.jpeg
942AE20C-5F2A-499D-8C63-2F6A5352045A.jpeg

Here are 285/75/16 on stock wheels and suspension.

03B47A17-4F1F-4824-BA1E-DF87AE172005.jpeg

I’m running Fuel D665 17x9 - bolt pattern 6-139.7. You can find all the specs on this wheel at the Fuel website. These were as close as I could get to OEM backspacing and offset specs.
I’m running a LT285/17-R17 tire. They don‘t protrude out past the fender flairs.
The one thing I had to do and it was easy is, I had to take the wheels to a machine shop to have the wheel bore enlarged by 4mm so they would fit over the rear axle hub.

What would a reply be without show off photos………..

devo

477FDA40-D30D-4AA5-9094-FA3CC50B645A.jpeg

0730C5D2-330E-4573-9A86-61D6061DEB22.jpeg

32846898-62C5-4D3C-AD2D-1606AA692A6A.jpeg

8CE1D406-40D0-4DB1-A8C5-5CE707DB5A50.jpeg

I would look at Icon wheels if you consider non OEM, which is likely due to the newer and bigger OEM wheels have positive offset. I haven’t researched directly for the 80 series, but I bet several members have.

To give you a reference point here are 295/75/16 on stock wheels and stock suspension. I think this is the largest tire that look and perform decently on a stock height truck. Personally, If I changed wheel size I would stay with those similar tire dimensions. View attachment 3213534View attachment 3213535View attachment 3213536
Very nice 40th.
I believe if I stay with stock wheels I can't accomplish what I want, which is to have that wider look, offset would remain the same and there is hardly any gain in width from 275 to 295.
But I get the idea.
I'll look into the Icon wheels though.
Thanks for sharing man!

I’m running Fuel D665 17x9 - bolt pattern 6-139.7. You can find all the specs on this wheel at the Fuel website. These were as close as I could get to OEM backspacing and offset specs.
I’m running a LT285/17-R17 tire. They don‘t protrude out past the fender flairs.
The one thing I had to do and it was easy is, I had to take the wheels to a machine shop to have the wheel bore enlarged by 4mm so they would fit over the rear axle hub.

What would a reply be without show off photos………..

devo

View attachment 3213629

View attachment 3213630

View attachment 3213631

View attachment 3213634
Awesome rig brother!
Yeah, offset means a lot when it comes to turning or suspension rubbing...
Do you have a lift or leveling kit in yours or are you running stock?

Very nice 40th.
I believe if I stay with stock wheels I can't accomplish what I want, which is to have that wider look, offset would remain the same and there is hardly any gain in width from 275 to 295.
But I get the idea.
I'll look into the Icon wheels though.
Thanks for sharing man!
You are very welcome!

Thanks, I chased that one for several months and had to buy his 62 as well to get it!

If you decide to sell the stock wheels, please PM me, I would be interested!

You are very welcome!

Thanks, I chased that one for several months and had to buy his 62 as well to get it!

If you decide to sell the stock wheels, please PM me, I would be interested!
I think you did pretty good, that one is well worth it to chase it for years if necessary!
I will keep you in mind on the wheels.

Update:
After an in depth research, I decided to use 18" wheels and 305 tires.
I had a great team at Discount Tire here in Houston and they helped a lot.
I found some nice rims and here is the result....remember, my 80 has stock suspension, but no rubbing so far!
I love it!

20230116_105758.jpg

20230116_110020.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom