1997 LX450 rear bumper, issue with cladding??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have discovered that putting a SLEE bumper on my LX will present an issue with my side cladding. What has anyone done to address this or make it look right?

I just put mine on the other day. They told me this would happen. It will be tight against the cladding. You could take the cladding off, or just live with it. My plan is to live with it for now, and take it off later if necessary.

It was a little awkward getting the bumper in place though because the bumper puts pressure against it, and vice versa.

Regular 80's don't have the cladding, so they don't have to deal with this.

:frown: Oh man! i was planning on getting slee's new rear bumper too. Damn cladding :mad:. I was hoping not to remove it as it leaves too many holes to fill. I guess I'll wait and see if somebody comes out with a solution otherwise I'll have to line the rear only. Post some pics of your bumper and let us know how it goes. Thanks. :popcorn: :cheers:

I bought my LX from a fellow whose brother does custom fab work for a living, and made both front and rears for the LX. I will post up some pics later and if you guys like them, I can pass on his contact info. They are top notch pieces! I may have the opposite problem as you guys though, as I have to take my cladding off to fix a cheapy paintjob, and once they are off and I am sanding, all those holes may get filled... Then my bumpers will be too wide:doh:

Look at bump it off road. LX with bumper installed.

BumpItOffroad
DSC_0342.JPG

I have discovered that putting a SLEE bumper on my LX will present an issue with my side cladding. What has anyone done to address this or make it look right?

Which Slee bumper did you get?? Have you spoken to "Slee"??

Here's what it looks like on the cladding. It's really right against it, but it's not deforming the cladding or anything like that. I guess the only problem could be rubbing between the tube and the plastic, or crap getting between the two. Not a problem in my opinion. The tube would need to flare out about an extra 1/2 an inch or so for it to 100% clear.

But like I said before, I was told in advance of this, so it wasn't a surprise.
IMG00077-20110322-1706.jpg
IMG00087-20110322-1712.jpg

I would be worried about the extra pressure pushing on that cladding would cause it to start wearing through the paint on the body......starting rust.

Also there will be quite a bit of moment between the bumper and cladding. The body is mounted on rubber body mounts the bumper is mounted to frame. Going down logging roads or pot holes roads there will be quite a bit of movement between the two.

Bumper looks great other than the cladding issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom