SOLD 1997 LX450 NO lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. LX450
Mileage
Color
Green
Clean California title, NO RUST, NO LEAKS, NO DASHBOARD CRACKS, 246XXX highway miles, drives and shifts smoothly, never taken off road, clean in/out (grocery parking lot gash on the flare) 2 oxidation spots on the hood and roof {as shown in the picture) seats are all good EXCEPT for the driver side (pictured), non smoker/no pets, cold AC, straight front/rear bumper, I'm the 2nd owner... Cons: both front driver and passenger seats doesn't move forward/back but I have them fixed all the way back, For a 1997 model it emits smoke on a cold start but disappears after it warms up... I want 12K on it

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023 (1).JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: RJH
Clean California title, NO RUST, NO LEAKS, NO DASHBOARD CRACKS, 246XXX highway miles, drives and shifts smoothly, never taken off road, clean in/out (parking lot gashes as seen in the picture) 2 oxidation spots on the hood and roof {as shown in the picture) seats are all good EXCEPT for the driver side (pictured), non smoker/no pets, cold AC, straight front/rear bumper, I'm the 2nd owner...

View attachment 2564842

View attachment 2564843

View attachment 2564844

View attachment 2564845

View attachment 2564846
$?

Hey there, I’m interested and local. Do you have any additional pictures? Issues with smog?

Hey there, I’m interested and local. Do you have any additional pictures? Issues with smog?
I just wanted to mention the elephant in the room. I think the big question would be regarding the head gasket. 250k on the truck and smokes on start-up. No matter how well it was maintained, if you take that to a qualified shop, they will find $15k-$30k worth of stuff to do just with the motor. Ask me how I know.
I'm not trying to say this truck isn't worth $12k, because it does appear to be worth $12k and it looks like an excellent platform to continue investing in. What I am trying to say is: don't spend your LAST $12k on acquiring the truck and think you're good. You should spend your FIRST $12k on the truck and acknowledge that serious future investments will be required to maintain its value, then you'll be good.

Last edited:
I just wanted to mention the elephant in the room. I think the big question would be regarding the head gasket. 250k on the truck and smokes on start-up. No matter how well it was maintained, if you take that to a qualified shop, they will find $15k-$30k worth of stuff to do just with the motor. Ask me how I know.
I'm not trying to say this truck isn't worth $12k, because it does appear to be worth $12k and it looks like an excellent platform to continue investing in. What I am trying to say is: don't spend your LAST $12k on acquiring the truck and think you're good. You should spend your FIRST $12k on the truck and acknowledge that serious future investments will be required to maintain its value, then you'll be good.
Wow good write up

are u basically saying more money is needed after 12k to do maint on it like the head issue?

Wow good write up

are u basically saying more money is needed after 12k to do maint on it like the head issue?
I see the purchase of an FZJ80 as only the first step of a large and serious investment. Not for the faint of heart.
I just recently bought a 97 LX450 that I thought needed a little work, it snowballed quickly. If I would have known that I would be spending many thousands more, I would have started with a nicer rig, like the one for sale here. I would feel just fine giving this rig whatever it needed, instead I've found myself dumping too many thousands into a rig that I compromised on in the beginning.

Last edited:
I see the purchase of an FZJ80 as only the first step of a large and serious investment. Not for the faint of heart.
I just recently bought a 97 LX450 that I thought needed a little work, it snowballed quickly. If I would have known that I would be spending many thousands more, I would have started with a nicer rig, like the one for sale here. I would feel just fine giving this rig whatever it needed, instead I've found myself dumping too many thousands into a rig that I compromised on in the beginning.

Thanks @Mtntopper I agree and think this is extremely sage wisdom.

I'd even say that when I bought my 80's it pushed me harder to find triple-locked examples. Is it because I need lockers for the driving I do? Rarely. But I'd much rather put $5k into a $25k car, vs. put $10k getting a $5k car right. At the end of the day, low miles, lockers, no rust means you'll always be able to sell and have no regrets.

Saw this lx450 locally and it’s really clean,body paint,no rust and interior.It’s not the head gasket it’s the valve seals that is bad that’s why it smokes.And I guess the price is OBO considering it does not have any lockers. Just my 2 cents info for any body interested in this lexus

Saw this lx450 locally and it’s really clean,body paint,no rust and interior.It’s not the head gasket it’s the valve seals that is bad that’s why it smokes.And I guess the price is OBO considering it does not have any lockers. Just my 2 cents info for any body interested in this lexus
is valve seal expensive to repair? Also, why didnt you buy it?

is valve seal expensive to repair? Also, why didnt you buy it?
Was looking for a Lexus with lockers but I almost considered buying it and and was planing to put arb lockers and the repair will cost as much as a head gasket at around $2K because might as well do the head gasket,water pump,seals and hoses.

It is the valve seal and to have it done by a qualified mechanic with an oem parts the quote was 1.5- 2k tops

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom