1996 Toyota Tacoma Values? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, i might have a chance at a 1996 toyota tacoma, extra cab, 4wd, 4-cyl, 5-speed, new head unit, truck cap, 150k miles...any thought on what it might be worth...i'd rate it as being in good condition.

I like the 2.7 - nice motor. I'd say around $5K

I know a guy that picked up an identical truck but it was a '98 with 120K for $4000. The 4 cyls are bullet proof.

Go over to this board to confirm pricing: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/

cruiseroutfit said:
Run from the 4cyl in my honest opinion, the 3.4 is a FAR superior motor...
:confused: I have to strongly disagree with this statement. I have owned both and would have to agree that the 3.4L is WAY stronger than the 2.7L. On the flip side, the 2.7L has less inherant flaws than the 3.4L. I have seen many 3.4L with poor oil circulation resulting in rod knock. I believe this is a left-over problem from the 3.0L design.

trailcarnage said:
...:confused: I have to strongly disagree with this statement. I have owned both and would have to agree that the 3.4L is WAY stronger than the 2.7L. On the flip side, the 2.7L has less inherant flaws than the 3.4L. I have seen many 3.4L with poor oil circulation resulting in rod knock. I believe this is a left-over problem from the 3.0L design.

How many 3.4's do you know that have actually had problems? We have several (including my 96' Tacoma with 130k and a 4Runner with 110k)... Driving the 2.7L for a week about killed me after driving the 3.4L... Why settle for less? In my opinion it is like going from 2WD to 4WD... the 3.4L is a GREAT motor. I have quite a few customers running Tacoma's, I am yet to hear of a complaint, and 3.4L's are starting to pop up in competition rock crawling buggies and are becoming great 3.0L replacments as the cost of used 3.4's comes down. I am acutally yet to hear of a disatisfied 3.4L owner (not including TRD supercharger problems).

bkg said:
I like the 2.7 - nice motor....

Yeah, it is a nice motor, but so is the F, 2F, 3FE... but they arn't a 1FZ ;)

Why settle for less when a 3.4L isn't that much more money?

Back to price quotes... a freind just bought a 97', 3.4, rear Elock, 130K for $4k

Cruiserhead05 said:
Hey, i might have a chance at a 1996 toyota tacoma, extra cab, 4wd, 4-cyl, 5-speed, new head unit, truck cap, 150k miles...any thought on what it might be worth...i'd rate it as being in good condition.

I also vote for the 3.4 over the 2.7. The 3.4 has great power, I love it and would not want to go back to the 4cyl, which I've also owned.

If you have any aspirations of running large tires, heavy protection, etc. then definitely get the 3.4. You will be glad you did.

As far as reliability goes, the 3.4 is very reliable and there are tons of high mileage 3.4's out there still going strong.

$3,000 doesn't sound bad though.

I see lots of 4x4 tacomas in new england with 100-120k trading hands for upwards of 5 grand. I've had a few high mileage 3.4's myself with zero problems. The 2.7 in the older tacoma is a little weak, but if the truck is going to stay stock, it gets better mileage and the performance is certainly acceptable. And the 2.7 is a chain motor, the 3.4 has a belt that need to be changed every 90k I believe. That said, the 2.7 in the 05 tacomas is very impressive. I just bought an 05 4x4 extended cab with the newer 164 horse 2.7. This truck has better acceleration up to 60 or so than my 00 4runner v6. And it gets 23mpg. Granted, if I had any intentions of modifying the truck I would have bought a v-6.

Guys - just wondering which year the Taco design changed to reduce the rust factor.

Early 90s sometime?

For dealer/bank type guidelines on price, go to www.kbb.com or www.nada.com for price reflecting mileage and condition.

I'll tell you what...if you think there is a step down from the v6 to the 4cyl, you haven't driven the 2L engine in my truck yet....a 4cyl running on 2 cyl could probably out run it :)

My wife had a '97 tacoma with the 4cyl....it held its own, I was always a little leary of the v6 after all that head gasket problem....

bk

Anyone know of good places to hunt for older Tacos and Toy p/u's? I'm in the market for something under $4K...preferably more like $3K. I'm on the east coast (DC). I see all these posts above about '97's for under 5K and am wondering what I'm doing wrong because I haven't seen any of these. The best thing I've found so far is a '91 with 120K miles for $3K and it has a big nasty dent along the front fender. Going to see it monday hopefully.

Anyhow I'd like to find an active forum where people are selling toyota p/u's much like the ih8mud forum is to cruisers.
thanks
chris

since yall are talking high mile, what do you think a 97 4x4 4runner v6 with 250,000 miles is worth?

cruiseroutfit said:
How many 3.4's do you know that have actually had problems? We have several (including my 96' Tacoma with 130k and a 4Runner with 110k)... Driving the 2.7L for a week about killed me after driving the 3.4L... Why settle for less? In my opinion it is like going from 2WD to 4WD... the 3.4L is a GREAT motor. I have quite a few customers running Tacoma's, I am yet to hear of a complaint, and 3.4L's are starting to pop up in competition rock crawling buggies and are becoming great 3.0L replacments as the cost of used 3.4's comes down. I am acutally yet to hear of a disatisfied 3.4L owner (not including TRD supercharger problems).

I have seen 3 with rod knocks, all below 100k. I am not saying it is a bad engine but I have never seen one with oil circulation issues. Also, I have to agree that driving a 3.4l vs a 2.7L is night and day. That is why I chose a 3.4L for my comp buggy.

cruiseroutfit said:

i have a 98 with the superchraged 3.4 with about 140,000 and i have only realy had to do regular serv on it and a waterpump/timingbelt thats it and i beat the crap outa my truck!!

topherbecker said:
Anyone know of good places to hunt for older Tacos and Toy p/u's? I'm in the market for something under $4K...preferably more like $3K. I'm on the east coast (DC). I see all these posts above about '97's for under 5K and am wondering what I'm doing wrong because I haven't seen any of these. The best thing I've found so far is a '91 with 120K miles for $3K and it has a big nasty dent along the front fender. Going to see it monday hopefully.

Anyhow I'd like to find an active forum where people are selling toyota p/u's much like the ih8mud forum is to cruisers.
thanks
chris
www.ttora.com

I sold my 98 Tacoma - 85,000 mi, reg cab,4wd, 5 spd, 4cyl for $7500 about six months ago. It sold the 2nd day that I had my ad in the paper. $3000 sounds like a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom