1996 HZJ77 H55F Clutch noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a squeal, squeak, noise that is attached to the clutch assembly. Through this forum post I have narrowed it down to either the throw out bearing or the friction surface of the bearing that contacts the clutch spring tangs as user OSS mentioned. I attempted to adjust the pedal height, which did nothing. I haven't tried to adjust the push rod at the clutch. I also was told by a friend that bleeding the clutch might help, and considering I bought this off auction and it's last inspection expired in 2018, maybe not a bad idea.

Here's a video for reference:

If I were to adjust the push rod, do I adjust it to go in or out? Would adjusting it to much start to engage the clutch as always pressed?
The above mentioned forum post mentioned a clutch height, not sure what mine should be but it's currently sitting around 15cm.

Thank you

It absolutely does, just the slightest bit of pressure on the clutch stops it. I can hear it at lower speeds as well while in gear.
Throw out bearing. 😊

Is there risk of it failing epically? It isn't worth just changing on its own if everything else is working as intended right? That'd be dropping the tranny to change 1 thing, which seems excessive.
That question is where the smart guys will need to chime in with their advice. 😊
My guess is that it will eventually fail completely.
I know in my case the transmission was dropped to correct the issue.

That question is where the smart guys will need to chime in with their advice. 😊
My guess is that it will eventually fail completely.
I know in my case the transmission was dropped to correct the issue.
Rog thanks. I'm trying to do work myself and learn as I plan on keeping this thing till death do us part or a sweet offer. I guess the question is what can I upgrade or replace if it comes down?

Thanks for your help!

Rog thanks. I'm trying to do work myself and learn as I plan on keeping this thing till death do us part or a sweet offer. I guess the question is what can I upgrade or replace if it comes down?

Thanks for your help!
Not sure I helped very much but you’re welcome.
Post a photo of your 77 Series. Everyone likes photos. 😊

I've got the same problem. Brand new throw out bearing on a brand new input shaft with brand new toyota cylinder. I doubt it's the bearing. The noise goes away just like in your video when slight pressure is applied. OSS said the bearing is in constant contact with the spring forks and even though mine is a 1985 chassis, the trans case and engine are the newer versions. If I adjust the pedal to make the noise go away, it seems like a lot of pressure on the clutch and the pedal is really low. Looking for a solution also.

I've got the same problem. Brand new throw out bearing on a brand new input shaft with brand new toyota cylinder. I doubt it's the bearing. The noise goes away just like in your video when slight pressure is applied. OSS said the bearing is in constant contact with the spring forks and even though mine is a 1985 chassis, the trans case and engine are the newer versions. If I adjust the pedal to make the noise go away, it seems like a lot of pressure on the clutch and the pedal is really low. Looking for a solution also.
So it sounds like you have done what I was thinking if trying. I'll be bleeding it and looking into it with some bigger brains hopefully soon. Any updates I'll post on here.

It's just so damn annoying. lol

Is there risk of it failing epically?

It will fail epically, but they make a LOT of noise before they stop working. Yours epic fail is still in its infancy, so you probably have a few months or longer.

I'll be bleeding it and looking into it

I seriously doubt its a bleeding issue. That noise sounds like slop in the bearing that squeals when the clutch fork just touches it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom