1996 FZJ80 Bought, Work in progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VIN checked out, title looks good, its registered in her name to :). I have it in my possession now, engine sounds really really nice.
What kind of deal did you work out? Post pics and situation reports when you have time

Glad you're buying it. Keep your Nissan and drive it while you fix the cruiser. And then never sell the nissan.
I had a 1986.5 d21 hardbody 11 years ago, sold it 10 years ago. It was a total death trap. I miss it at least once or twice a week.
Best of both worlds

What kind of deal did you work out? Post pics and situation reports when you have time
I have it in my possession now we are doing a bill of sale while she applies for the replacement title tomorrow, I have 40 days to transfer the title from the sale date. 1500 now, 1500 then. Uploading some more pics and taking a little closer look before forking over the first 1500 at the moment.

I have it in my possession now we are doing a bill of sale while she applies for the replacement title tomorrow, I have 40 days to transfer the title from the sale date. 1500 now, 1500 then. Uploading some more pics and taking a little closer look before forking over the first 1500 at the moment.

If it runs and drives (don't drive it with the brakes like that) it's worth at least 1500 but you definitely want the title if you can get it and that remaining 1500 is good motivation for her to get off her ass and get it

New video by Marcus First time startup in maybe two months of sitting, 40 degrees F out here a look at the exhaust is in that video link - how does that exhaust look think its normal after sitting for two months. And It was only a mile away and ive been pretty giddy so I drove it, slowly -the brakes did not feel right for sure. I am about to transfer the first half payment - I can still backout if there are any red flags.

IMG_20200608_195523.jpg

Last edited:
In your first set of pictures posted the hood and driver side fender look real shiny like they have been repainted. Given the DUI Immobilizer that may explain the new paint although all the dirt in the engine compartment indicates it may have been a long time ago.

In your first set of pictures posted the hood and driver side fender look real shiny like they have been repainted. Given the DUI Immobilizer that may explain the new paint although all the dirt in the engine compartment indicates it may have been a long time ago.
Isn't that a trailer brake? The sliding switch is to manually engage the trailer brakes and the other two knobs should be the settings right?

Last edited:
New video by Marcus First time startup in maybe two months of sitting, 40 degrees F out here a look at the exhaust is in that video link - how does that exhaust look think its normal after sitting for two months. And It was only a mile away and ive been pretty giddy so I drove it, slowly -the brakes did not feel right for sure. I am about to transfer the first half payment - I can still backout if there are any red flags.

View attachment 2334183
Just moisture in the exhaust. Should go away as the engine warms up. Approx 5-10 minutes.

If the brakes are to the point of not feeling right, you probably have a ruined caliper and rotor at the minimum.

Ask me how I know. Actually don't

Pull the wheels off, check it out and get a parts list started

Also that title should be your main priority. Save all emails/comm you've had with her as well. Screenshots etc

I took it to a local shop .5 miles away this AM, just to check for any red flags before I pay. They are probably going to call me soon and give me a quote on the brake, so I will probably do that just to get it safely drivable and then focus on the next thing! Thankyou @Killdozer1776 I found out i can take a bill of sale which in Montana can be digital or even on a napkin just not an official form(then is would need to be notarized), to get a temporary registration asap. That would give her 40 days to receive the title have it signed and notarized and sent to me.

So - 2 new rotors, calipers, pads in the rear and just pads in the front so far. The mechanic today said he wanted to change the master cylinder as well and then maybe the brake booster depending on how the system responds with the new master cylinder. I got quoted $506 so far with another quote ~$500 for master cylinder + brake booster. Going to pick it up today and look at doing the master cylinder myself for now.

So - 2 new rotors, calipers, pads in the rear and just pads in the front so far. The mechanic today said he wanted to change the master cylinder as well and then maybe the brake booster depending on how the system responds with the new master cylinder. I got quoted $506 so far with another quote ~$500 for master cylinder + brake booster. Going to pick it up today and look at doing the master cylinder myself for now.

I'm all for doing whatever you can on your own. Just know that bleeding the system is quite involved on these vehicles. I don't have help so I wasn't able to complete mine on my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom