1996 FZJ80 Bought, Work in progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have never owned a LC and I'm looking for help on deciding if this vehicle is worth buying (what should I be looking for to help make this decision). I assume rust is a big deal breaker, does it matter where the rust is? What other major suspect components with this year/mileage can be verified before purchase.

They are asking $3,000 on a 96 LC, 224,000 miles.

"it currently has a back brake issue, needs new calipers and has an oil leak.
Engine is great, just had a new front axel rebuild, new starter"

Will be looking at it in person soon and want to know what you all recommend to look for.

Thank you all!

This helped me too...

I looked for oil leaks, overall condition of the underside, evidence of water leaks and body rust around the windows, sunroof/factory roof rack (if any). Make sure you drive it up to highway speeds. Note any weird sounds, shimmies, tracking/pulling to the left or right. Have to check to see how if there’s evidence of it being in a significant accident. Passing smog, if it applies to you, is a plus, but not a dealbreaker.

Most of us here, who know the vehicles well and do our own work, would buy at that price and those miles quickly...

(unless it was rolled, missing doors, or completely covered in rust, or has some other obvious huge problem).

This helped me too...

I looked for oil leaks, overall condition of the underside, evidence of water leaks and body rust around the windows, sunroof/factory roof rack (if any). Make sure you drive it up to highway speeds. Note any weird sounds, shimmies, tracking/pulling to the left or right. Have to check to see how if there’s evidence of it being in a significant accident. Passing smog, if it applies to you, is a plus, but not a dealbreaker.

Awesome video, I can't tell where the oil leak is yet. Thankyou for the help! Will update with what I find

Most of us here, who know the vehicles well and do our own work, would buy at that price and those miles quickly...

(unless it was rolled, missing doors, or completely covered in rust, or has some other obvious huge problem).
That is what I was hoping, because it seems like a very good deal. I have a 2002 outback 211k that I have done all the work for over the years and a 1987 Nissan little red truck, 144k. I love maintaining vehicles myself, but do want something bigger, more comfortable, more reliable than at least the outback, better offroad capability, etc. I am ready to part ways with the outback or the nissan haven't decided - but LC sounds very nice and fun.

Personally that seems like a great deal. In my opinion they should be asking more for the LC. I would think one of two things is happening. First, they don't know how valuable an 80 series is or second, there is something hes not telling you. Hopefully its the first option where it is a great deal. I would definitely make sure you check for rust under the LC. Get us some pictures and let us know how the test drive goes. Good luck! That would be a great deal for an LC if everything is in good shape.

Just for reference I bought my LC for $9K with 150K miles. Mine was in great shape though and just had new leather seats. I'm in AL though so prices will be a little different. Who knows, I probably over paid for mine haha.

Okay I have a bunch of pictures!
IMG_20200608_130240.jpg
IMG_20200608_131038.jpg
IMG_20200608_125405.jpg

IMG_20200608_125113.jpg

IMG_20200608_125440.jpg

Buy it.

Beat them up a bit on the price (multiple oil leaks, Do a compression test, seat leather is shot, old rubber hoses ready to blow, etc) but GET IT.

Just normal work to be done.

Don;t plan on driving it more than a few miles. The brake caliper is TOAST and the pads are MISSING. That tells me maintenance on this truck has been CRAP. Brake jobs are simple, so if that is neglected, so is everything else.

Bargain with them.
Talk them down, but arrive with CASH. Take enough for asking price, but only present what you're willing to pay.

That thing is only a long weekend away from looking significantly better. Soak the engine bay with degreaser and follow up with 1/2 strength simple green concentrate. If you’re not familiar with brake work your first stop should be dropping it at a mechanic as it’s not safe to drive as is. Verify it doesn’t overheat prior to purchase.

I'd be all over it for that price, provided engine/tranny run/shift fine. Even if you end up putting $5k in neglected maintenance, you are money ahead.

I agree with towing that home or to nearest place to get the caliper fixed.

I'd spend a day detailing/cleaning/degreasing and then figure out where it's leaking from.

Buy for sure, unless the motor knocks or the trans won't shift. If you can get below $3K it's a total score, and even at asking price it's a good deal. What rims are those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom