craigslist 1995 3x Locked SoCal $27500 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/6621657598.html

Anyone want to take a stab at how much all his additions cost him in parts and labour? I'm like 99% sure the truck was bought on ebay for $9776 without a front bumper.
QU7A1Nc.jpg

Just wondering what kind of profit margin he is trying for if i wanted to make an offer.

The truck was sold on Ebay a couple of months ago for ~10k with all those mods except the front bumper (truck had NO bumper in the ebay listing). I know this because i was bidding on it.

The mileage was likely rolled back by the previous owner (the guy that sold it on ebay). Basically there was a mileage record from DMV every year since the PO purchased it in ~2001, and it was driven ~10-15k miles a year, but then in 2009 or so the DMV records stopped at ~160K. And then truck was listed for sale on ebay with ~167k miles in 2018. It was owned by the same guy from 2001 to 2018. So yeah - you can draw your own conclusions from this

Last edited:
Wow... Guilty until proven innocent I see. Well, at least by the 2 Canadians here. Is that how it works in Canada?
Sorry, the 'labour' spelling gave it away Adventurers.
If you haven't guessed yet, this is my Rig, so before you complete your Judge, Jury and Executioner, I'd like to debunk your comedown party!

This is my 5th LC. First one was 95', then a 98', a 04' and a 08' LX570 (still have the 08', 175k and looks and runs like new, as I take care of my toys)
The one LC I missed the most, was my 95' FJ80.

So I decided to seek out a 95' (for my Canadian Friends, an emphasis on the word out, eh?). I soon discovered that it is difficult to find that perfect Rig. After months of searching, I discovered Otis. Yes that's the name of the LC, named by the PO, and I decided to keep the name. I figured the acronym is 'Over Terrain In Style'. You could say this was my barn find... Too good to be true, right?

But I did my research, asked a bunch of questions, and called a couple service shops during the auction before I committed.
zzdenis, DYK that with a VIN, you can register the vehicle with the Toyota App and get all history, even if it isn't your vehicle? As long as the other owner hasn't done so. (You're Welcome)
The part I liked the best is the gossip by zzdenis accusing of a mileage rollback, AFTER he didn't win the bid...
zzdenis, Do you often bid on LCs that you think mileage is rolled back?

So back to my barn find... It was actually more of a modern day Toy Garage find. During the auction, and my correspondence with the seller (2nd owner), he told me he hasn't driven it much of late, because he had many vehicles, and that it was parked in an air conditioned garage in Arizona. I pinched myself... Too good to be true?
After winning the auction, I made arrangements to fly out to get the truck. When I arrived and got out of my Uber, sure enough there was a detached 2-story garage (Ultimate Man Cave) at this beautiful desert property, and among a toy Hauler, Razor, Raptor etc... was Otis...
Paint was perfect, rubber seals perfect and fresh, truck was Awesome.

Miles were actually below 167k, he just rounded it up by a few hundred, and now the LC has over 167k (I rounded down).
So that brings me to your disbelief of the miles. All service records checked out, from axle re-build, oil change, dates and all. He simply didn't drive it as much as the early days. Also, in Arizona, you have to get a smog certificate every year you register, unless you register in a rural county outside the city. That's what he did in 2009, hence no longer having to do the yearly pain in the butt DMV smog.

ZZdenis, I saw on one of your pics, 3 LCs in your driveway, you out of all people should realize that a vehicle can get low miles each year, unless you are driving all your LCs 12,000 miles a year? Geez

Now, despite being a huge find and a great Rig, it is still 23 yrs old and had 166k miles on it. The PO did disclose that there were some leaks. So I immediately brought it to Camelback Toyota, for a full inspection and oil change. When I was there, the service mgr (has a beautiful red LC) also hooked me up with a fix on the driver seat motor... A simple 35 cent plastic end cap, solved the problem! Most dealerships either have no clue or try to charge $1k for an entire new motor (which coincidentally comes with a new cap!). Both he and the mechanics confirmed it was a great Rig, and simply could use some new gasket seals.

So now for the upgrades and maintenance: I started with wanting to get the rear main seal gasket, but once that was started, I decided to change all of them, service the diffs and once we were doing the valve cover, I figured why not replace the head gasket too. I kept all the old parts too. Total maintenance repairs were just under 5k. It runs like new as if it just rolled off the showroom floor (well with a 2.5 lift). Underneath is perfect once I got all the Arizona dust off. Over a few weekends, the LC was compounded, waxed, waxed again, interior shampoo'd, headliner steam cleaned, seats lexol'd a few times. Added black trim package inside, added AOE Bar, LP9 lights ($1500 just on the lights), halo head lights, re-did the roof rack, added rear tail light guards etc...

So, although I got a great deal to begin with, I have treated this LC like royalty and have brought it to like new condition which is no light expense.

Adventurers... you too can add a LC to your profile by buying a dialed in one like this (budget permitting), or searching for your barn find, or buying a beaten up one and nurse it back to health (will cost you more than you budget for!)

zzdenis, shame on you for bashing a LC that you bid on and didn't win. Maybe you realized those were American dollars you were bidding with? You ended your post with " you can draw your own conclusions... so here's mine

In conclusion to my two Canadian friends here, for punishment of your petty bashing, I feel like slapping a 30% tariff on any LC shipped north of the 49th Parallel.
Oh wait, exhange rate already took care of that...

Don't be haters, life is too short!

Wow... Guilty until proven innocent I see. Well, at least by the 2 Canadians here. Is that how it works in Canada?
Sorry, the 'labour' spelling gave it away Adventurers.
If you haven't guessed yet, this is my Rig, so before you complete your Judge, Jury and Executioner, I'd like to debunk your comedown party!

This is my 5th LC. First one was 95', then a 98', a 04' and a 08' LX570 (still have the 08', 175k and looks and runs like new, as I take care of my toys)
The one LC I missed the most, was my 95' FJ80.

So I decided to seek out a 95' (for my Canadian Friends, an emphasis on the word out, eh?). I soon discovered that it is difficult to find that perfect Rig. After months of searching, I discovered Otis. Yes that's the name of the LC, named by the PO, and I decided to keep the name. I figured the acronym is 'Over Terrain In Style'. You could say this was my barn find... Too good to be true, right?

But I did my research, asked a bunch of questions, and called a couple service shops during the auction before I committed.
zzdenis, DYK that with a VIN, you can register the vehicle with the Toyota App and get all history, even if it isn't your vehicle? As long as the other owner hasn't done so. (You're Welcome)
The part I liked the best is the gossip by zzdenis accusing of a mileage rollback, AFTER he didn't win the bid...
zzdenis, Do you often bid on LCs that you think mileage is rolled back?

So back to my barn find... It was actually more of a modern day Toy Garage find. During the auction, and my correspondence with the seller (2nd owner), he told me he hasn't driven it much of late, because he had many vehicles, and that it was parked in an air conditioned garage in Arizona. I pinched myself... Too good to be true?
After winning the auction, I made arrangements to fly out to get the truck. When I arrived and got out of my Uber, sure enough there was a detached 2-story garage (Ultimate Man Cave) at this beautiful desert property, and among a toy Hauler, Razor, Raptor etc... was Otis...
Paint was perfect, rubber seals perfect and fresh, truck was Awesome.

Miles were actually below 167k, he just rounded it up by a few hundred, and now the LC has over 167k (I rounded down).
So that brings me to your disbelief of the miles. All service records checked out, from axle re-build, oil change, dates and all. He simply didn't drive it as much as the early days. Also, in Arizona, you have to get a smog certificate every year you register, unless you register in a rural county outside the city. That's what he did in 2009, hence no longer having to do the yearly pain in the butt DMV smog.

ZZdenis, I saw on one of your pics, 3 LCs in your driveway, you out of all people should realize that a vehicle can get low miles each year, unless you are driving all your LCs 12,000 miles a year? Geez

Now, despite being a huge find and a great Rig, it is still 23 yrs old and had 166k miles on it. The PO did disclose that there were some leaks. So I immediately brought it to Camelback Toyota, for a full inspection and oil change. When I was there, the service mgr (has a beautiful red LC) also hooked me up with a fix on the driver seat motor... A simple 35 cent plastic end cap, solved the problem! Most dealerships either have no clue or try to charge $1k for an entire new motor (which coincidentally comes with a new cap!). Both he and the mechanics confirmed it was a great Rig, and simply could use some new gasket seals.

So now for the upgrades and maintenance: I started with wanting to get the rear main seal gasket, but once that was started, I decided to change all of them, service the diffs and once we were doing the valve cover, I figured why not replace the head gasket too. I kept all the old parts too. Total maintenance repairs were just under 5k. It runs like new as if it just rolled off the showroom floor (well with a 2.5 lift). Underneath is perfect once I got all the Arizona dust off. Over a few weekends, the LC was compounded, waxed, waxed again, interior shampoo'd, headliner steam cleaned, seats lexol'd a few times. Added black trim package inside, added AOE Bar, LP9 lights ($1500 just on the lights), halo head lights, re-did the roof rack, added rear tail light guards etc...

So, although I got a great deal to begin with, I have treated this LC like royalty and have brought it to like new condition which is no light expense.

Adventurers... you too can add a LC to your profile by buying a dialed in one like this (budget permitting), or searching for your barn find, or buying a beaten up one and nurse it back to health (will cost you more than you budget for!)

zzdenis, shame on you for bashing a LC that you bid on and didn't win. Maybe you realized those were American dollars you were bidding with? You ended your post with " you can draw your own conclusions... so here's mine

In conclusion to my two Canadian friends here, for punishment of your petty bashing, I feel like slapping a 30% tariff on any LC shipped north of the 49th Parallel.
Oh wait, exhange rate already took care of that...

Don't be haters, life is too short!

Wow, quite an essay trying to justify flipping it for an absolutely ridiculous price.

Not sure why you took my post so personally. I specifically mentioned TWICE in that short post that it wasn't you who i was suspecting of rolling back the miles. My guess is that you were bullied in school by a Canadian. Or maybe your wife cheated on you with one.. I see no other explanation for so much hate on Canada in just one post. But dont worry, i'm not offended. I have pretty thick skin (much more so than you, it seems)

As for me bidding on it.. Yes, i did bid on it. As you might've noticed i didnt win it. The reason for that is that i treated that truck as a ~250k mile truck that's been wheeled pretty hard most of it's life. And i bid on it accordingly. IIRC my max bid was ~7000.

As for mileage, i did contact the PO and asked for any records of the mileage during that window (of supposedly being driven under 1k miles a year). He couldn't produce any, and his response was "i dont drive my cars that much". While that may be possible, i just find it extremely unlikely that the same guy went from driving it a somewhat average amount every year, for MANY years, to basically not driving it at all for ~9 years. Im not saying it's impossible, hence the words "likely" and "draw your own conclusions" in my first post on the issue. But i learned the hard way, many years ago to always treat low mileage used cars as "average mileage", unless there is absolutely irrefutable proof of the miles. I'll give you one example. My current daily driver is a 1998 4runner. I bought it from original owner 4 years ago with 88k KM on the clock. He lived in a condo in downtown Toronto and walked to work every day. He had oil change records from the dealership every 6 months since it was new, with about 2.5k km between the changes. So i treated it as a 88k km truck, and paid for it accordingly.

While you may see my post as bashing, it really is not the case. There is a reason you didnt post the truck for sale on mud yourself. Because you know that there is nobody here that would be stupid enough to consider paying even 10k bellow your asking price. So my post really didn't hurt your chances of selling it here (which were zero). So there is no reason to get all pissy about it.

Last edited:
LOL, No need to get all butt-hurt on an internet forum.
Yes, no indication of bashing or being a comedown naysayer, especially with your 2nd post.
BTW, Canadians don't bully, they are too busy saying ' Sorry ' all the time Eh?
You are just pissed that you didn't buy the Truck, period. Especially posting months later, you must have really been butt hurt bro.

"So i treated it as a 88k km truck, and paid for it accordingly."
Ah, so you do realize it's possible...
What is paid accordingly? You gave him $5k, treated him to Tim Horton's and gave him a handy?

Not sure why you took my post so personally either. My guess is that you asked a girl to prom, she said no, went with your friend, so you spread a rumor that she may be a slut. I see no other explanation for so much hate on a LC in just one post. But don't worry, i'm not offended. I really don't care what a LC low balling hoarder has to say about a truck that is out of his league.

My advice: Why don't you focus on 1 and make it really nice?

I am sure the seller of Otis has good judgement and sensed that you were a low baller, so why should he waste time with you?
He had all records of the vehicle in a folder, over $9000 in upgrades and service maintenance since 2001. Checked out 100%.
Guess you are used to scammers up there in Canada rolling back their KMs?

BTW, I am simply testing the waters with my sale post. I really love this truck and would have to have it pryed from my hands. It may surprise you but I have had a few inquiries already, a couple low ballers like you, and then some serious people. You see, you would discover that if you had a LC that has zero rust, interior is 9/10 and exterior 10/10, people do pay a premium, there are less great ones out there.

You missed on this one, so get over it.
Luckily for Otis, I got it and have put alot of money into it bringing it to like new condition. With you, Otis would have become another POS, sitting outdoors in Canadian weather with no attention whatsoever. Otis and the prom girl, both dodged a bullet.

Last edited:
No need to get all butt-hurt on an internet forum. The information i posted is 100% correct to the best of my knowledge, based on my correspondence with the seller.
Doing this goes a long way, instead of posting a bunch of personal insults and making statements about me (and my LC's) that you have ABSOLUTELY ZERO proof/knowledge of.

I guess a class act like this doesn't feel that there is a need to mention numerous wheeling related dents/scratches, rock chips on hood, accident in 2000, and significant "arizona pinstripping" on paint. 10/10 exterior, huh?

Either way, like i said - none of my posts hurt your chances of selling it on this forum, because they were zero to begin with. People can draw their own conclusions from the information posted here. If you cant handle internet comments, then you'd be better off with a "for sale" sign on the windshield only. Good luck finding an out of state buyer dumb enough to fly in from northeast to buy it based on your deceiving craigslist ad. This is my last reply to this topic.

Last edited:
No matter how much money you put into these things you’re not getting it back. Once in a while you find an exceptional rig and may pay a bit more for it.

Lol live in Orange County same as you ya weirdo. Calm down, you got caught flipping a LC- who cares just own it.

I posted this seriously just wondering what the all-in cost is since I have no background with the upgrades (esp. those headlights). my goal was to gage the sellers threshold on offers since it’s obviously being flipped. Not touching it with a ten foot pole at this point after all this drama - but it still seems like a cool truck.

My two cents is ditch the taillight covers add a rear swing out and advertise the rear main seal to head gasket overhaul with a slew of good photos and you might get 27k-30k assuming the interior is in good shape. That asking price with no rear bumper seems odd to me, like the headlights are cool but it fits more in a personal preference category vs a rear bumper seems to appeal to a wider market

zzdenis,
"instead of posting a bunch of personal insults and making statements about me (and my LC's) that you have ABSOLUTELY ZERO proof/knowledge of."
Thanks for making my case!
That's exactly what you did.

Glad it's your last post and you can focus on pissing on another LC that you didn't win.
Now I understand why Toyota never sold Landcruisers at the dealerships in Canada.

You are correct, there was minor arizona pinstriping, but with compounding and waxing, it is completely gone. But by the looks of your LCs, you need to watch some "How to " Youtube videos, unless your paint is beyond repair.

There are 2 types of landcruisers out there. Well maintained ones, and neglected ones. You collect neglected ones and can't believe how one can sell above $20k. That's fine. It's just like the horse world. Rich and poor both share a love of the animals, but some can afford much better quality and understand how much must go into it to maintain it that way. Every so often, someone poor has a neglected 'gem', and it's noticed by the keen eye of someone with the funds, who buys it and invests into it to make it a show horse sellable at a much higher value. But inevitably the seller will freak out and gossip. Human nature, nothing against you zzdennis. Some of us just know how to treat her.
We can both co-exist here with the love of LCs, but in different price brackets. It's all good.

Perhaps that's why TMC decided to only sell the LX450s in Canada only and not the FJ80 to stick with just the crowd that could afford and not bicker. We are fine with the used rust buckets going out to pasture in Canada to live out their final days.

Hey Adventurers, all is good. Just had to put zzdenis in his place. The dude bid on the truck, lost, then posted BS like a little bitch. Total definition of a sore loser. Truck was 100% undersold with the condition and all the upgrades. It just needed some PM and TLC.

I love the truck and was truely testing the waters. My feeling and observation is the FJ80s will increase in value for well maintained ones.
I am about $22k into this truck, and she is dialed in to run another 200k with ease.
I have the original headlights, but the halo ones ($700) give it a modern mean look IMO. The Baja Design LP9s are $1500 with install and the coolest spots I have seen, again IMO. Also custom lower lights in the bumper, make it look OEM. I am looking at adding the 4x4 Labs rear bumper, but I still like the stock bumper look. Adding some hooks and Winch soon too.

Nothing bugs me more than someone who is flipping cars and goes off on others when they point out that they are flipping cars. I really don't understand this, I wish I had the opportunity to make money buying and selling cars.

(Note: if you have owned a vehicle less than a year and are selling it for a profit you might be a flipper)

GreaseMonkey,

I didn't go off on him about a flipping car comment,
I went off on him for trying to insinuate that the Truck had the miles rolled back.
This A-hole actually bid on the truck, and lost to me.
He was so pissed, he came back accusing of a rollback on the odometer!
He has no clue, he just threw it our there to create doubt, total Trump move.
Anyhow, since I bought it, I have all records from the PO and it 100% checks out.
Over $9k in upgrades and repairs from the PO.
The truck was even stored in an air conditioned garage!
So flipping a truck is not my beef, anyone can be jealous... I don't care.
I should have paid $18k for it (then I poured a bunch of cash into it)
But a lying sack of s***, who's business is parting out!
I will 100% troll that little Canadian bitch.

A flip is when you buy and then sell right away.
I bought, invested a ton into aftermarket parts and PM, then posted for sale to test the waters.
That is not a flip, that's an appreciation for a legendary truck and doing it justice with the work I put into it.

The Lying sack of s*** Canadian would have just parted it out, killing another rare beauty.

BTW. I reluctantly showed the truck today, guy said it was the best LC he has seen out of all the ones he is looking at. His offer was a couple G short and i have decided to keep her, I love this truck too much!Probably sell it for 35k in 5 years from now.

Barn finds are rare, so I guess I understand that ZZdenis was a jealous vindictive litte bitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom