1993 Heater Core replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.gclcny.com
Greetings! Does anyone know of a good writeup on replacing the heater core on a 1993 80? It is a recent purchase and need to get this fixed before I move on to the more fun things.

Thanks!

Do a search for the words “heater core”. Lots of threads popped up when I searched. There was one posted on here not too long ago that had a small write-up about the job.
I’ll look back and see if I can get a link to the thread for ‘ya.

The heater core is a b*tch to replace. I had mine replaced last November after it started leaking. It was WAY too big of a job for my novice hands. $2200 later...

Greetings! Does anyone know of a good writeup on replacing the heater core on a 1993 80? It is a recent purchase and need to get this fixed before I move on to the more fun things.

Thanks!
Are you referring to the heater core under the dash or the "Rear" heater that is under the passenger front seat?

The one under the dash is a huge undertaking. The one under the front seat is a walk in the park.

Do a search for the words “heater core”. Lots of threads popped up when I searched. There was one posted on here not too long ago that had a small write-up about the job.
I’ll look back and see if I can get a link to the thread for ‘ya.

The heater core is a b*tch to replace. I had mine replaced last November after it started leaking. It was WAY too big of a job for my novice hands. $2200 later...

I appreciate it if you find it. I searched but didnt find one that included what I was looking for.

I appreciate it if you find it. I searched but didnt find one that included what I was looking for.

Still looking for it. I’ll let you know if I find it.

This is what my dash looked like when my mechanic was replacing the heater core.

A46D330E-9147-44B5-9912-46A24B297207.jpeg

sadly your's has the old style dash so its a good 8 hour job, if not more. my biggest issue was finding one. they changed the style, and the box it sits in sometime in like 96 i think (96.5 maybe??) and now they no longer sell the one you need. not sure if you can even find it aftermarket anymore (i couldnt 2 years ago when i did this) so i had 3 options.

i could put a used one in and pray. i ended up going this route.
i could have one re-cored but i had a hard time finding someone to do it.
i could replace the compete box for about 750 bucks. way out of my budget.

sadly your's has the old style dash so its a good 8 hour job, if not more. my biggest issue was finding one. they changed the style, and the box it sits in sometime in like 96 i think (96.5 maybe??) and now they no longer sell the one you need. not sure if you can even find it aftermarket anymore (i couldnt 2 years ago when i did this) so i had 3 options.

i could put a used one in and pray. i ended up going this route.
i could have one re-cored but i had a hard time finding someone to do it.
i could replace the compete box for about 750 bucks. way out of my budget.

I ordered one from Rock Auto that looks like it is probably correct so hopefully I wont finally get everything apart only to find it is wrong and I need to get the existing one re-cored. About half of the dash is taken apart, I keep hoping that there is just some trick that I am missing, but I suspect that isnt the case and it is just a huge pain.

I ordered one from Rock Auto that looks like it is probably correct so hopefully I wont finally get everything apart only to find it is wrong and I need to get the existing one re-cored. About half of the dash is taken apart, I keep hoping that there is just some trick that I am missing, but I suspect that isnt the case and it is just a huge pain.
Are you taking any pics I am about to do my 91. Let me know how the after market one works I have a used one that I will have checked and repair as needed. Thanks for any help

Still looking for it. I’ll let you know if I find it.

This is what my dash looked like when my mechanic was replacing the heater core.

View attachment 2422661
As much as i love my Land Cruisers superior Toyota engineering, i think Mr T really missed the mark in this case. Requiring 4 hours to dissemble, and then another 4 hours to reassemble the dash, just to replace a heater core is asinine. But it works out great for any service department labor wise, the customers wallet, not so much.

Are you taking any pics I am about to do my 91. Let me know how the after market one works I have a used one that I will have checked and repair as needed. Thanks for any help

Unfortunately I have not been doing any documentation which I know is going to bite me when I start to reassemble. If i come up with any better plan I will make sure to post it.

I'm in the reassembly stage right now on my 93. I do suggest you look at getting an old brass one rebuilt at a traditional radiator shop. I also suggest having them extend the pipes about 1.5 inches --it makes it ever so much easier under the hood. I do have some photos of the project in this thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom