1992 FJ80 Oxygen Sensor(s)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
Ok,

1992 FJ80, 3FE with 197,000 miles.

Check Engine Light with code 21.....Oxygen Sensor malfunction.

Seems accurate, as my gas mileage has gone to hell....even for a 3FE. :rolleyes:

Both oxygen sensors were replaced with OEM at 177,000 miles.

Any other reasons to get this code?

-H-

Last edited:
If those are the original sensors you got your money's worth in spades. If those are the original sensors they are almost certainly shot and the source of the code 21

Oh crap, never mind....:doh: I couldn't read the red font on the black background...:flipoff2:

Perhaps a broken wire? Do you have the FSM to follow the trouble logic tree?

It is also possible that you have a bad sensor, rare but I have seen it.

Yeah, I've got the FSM.

IIRC the last time, when I replaced both, the diagnosis involved checking resistance in the wires leading up to the sensors. Both were out of spec. (presuming I did it correctly) so both were replaced.

When this started, the check engine light was intermittent, so I pulled the EFI fuse to reset it, and it came back on this morning.

-H-

How old (time) are the sensors?

I do not know of a tie-in between the two. That does not mean it is not possible, just that I'm stoopid about it.

Probably 2 trip logic.
Intermitten hell, it will come back.

No two trip logic in the 92 that I am aware of. Much dumber than OBDII.

two-trip

FYI, the 3FE, at least in my '92, has two-trip logic for codes 25, 26, 27; 71 according to the FSM.

Last edited:
Is code 21 for 02 sensor HEATER failure? If so it would not require two trips to set, it would be instant trigger. It sounds like a possible wire/pin fit issue, would explain the light on/off. Either way the ECU is ignoring that sensor when that code is in memory, causing the poor fuel economy. Test wire/pin fit by wiggling the wire harness as you test with DVOM. Good luck

for the cheapest....
try NGK.com

Hltoppr said:
Ok, is "two trip" like hippies at an extra set during a Phish show?

-H-

Two-trip logic means that the CEL stays dark after a single occurence of a deviation from the parameters that the OBD computer is monitoring. If the same deviation occurs on conscutive drives ("trips"), the waffle light comes on. For a little bedtime reading on this matter, follow along in your Manly Manual, page FI-23, and repeat after me...

I'm getting codes 21 & 28 ... I just replaced the outermost downstream sensor & it didn't seem to solve the problem.
O2 sensors should be replaced in pairs.
The Toyota FSM gives you the troubleshooting flowchart on page FI-44, assuming you have a 3FE.

1681478353856.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom