1991 RHD 1HDT hdj81 Power Side MIrrors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents,

I recently bought this gem and both side mirrors dont move with switch how they are supposed to as well as they don't retract all the way and one side sticks whilst the motor screams away.

I have been looking through ebay and can only find replacements with 3 pins, however mine has def more than 3 wires. Can anyone shed light as to where to order? anyone has used? or direction of who to contact to get use? Can I rewire, use an adapter? any solutions?

Either the power folding gears inside are stripped or a sensor is broken. I tried to fix it and gave up. Bunch of little plastic parts in there I figure would not last long even if I was successful, so I disconnected it. My opinion is that the mirrors are junk in general, but I don't know of any good replacements.

As for the mirror adjustment, is it just not moving in the right direction? If so, some of the wires are probably connected to the wrong pins.

Previous owner tried top repair them.. the right side, up is downand down is up, left and right no movement
the left side, no movement period.

on retract, right side closes halfway and starts to scream
left side screams and does nto move.

I have to manual close both then motors stop screaming. opening them back same process, have to manually open them to stop motors from screaming

Yeah my mirrors dont retract, I can hear the motor so im guessing its the gears.

My adjustments also dont work.

Havent looked into it yet but will eventually

You can get a set off a newer NA spec 80 series. You will loose the power retract - but they bolt on. Wiring is trial and error.

my OCD will never allow that unfortunately ( folding option) the rewiring is fine as i will simply depin and use factory jacks... which allows an easy reversal if needed

From what I know, the folding mirrors where only on Aussie Sahara spec, and JDM VX spec cruisers.

I think locating good used ones would be a challenge anywhere.

I don't remember seeing an eBay version either. They weren't on many models, so replicating them is probably not viable for the aftermarket

i am gonna open mine weekend and see gears are stripped. any idea where to get small gears like that?

i am gonna open mine weekend and see gears are stripped. any idea where to get small gears like that?
How did the gears look? It's on my list as well. I hate that they don't retract.

I haven't gotten around to it as yet. So many other little things to sort out. Maybe weekend I will have a chance

FYI RHD mirrors don't work on LHD.

Just picked up two used mirrors for my hdj81, left door mirror no retracting but can hear motor running in mirror. My original mirror did the exact same thing, so thinking maybe relay issue?

Just picked up two used mirrors for my hdj81, left door mirror no retracting but can hear motor running in mirror. My original mirror did the exact same thing, so thinking maybe relay issue?
nah most likely same issue as before. gears strip. the plastics gears are so cheap that a small hit and they damage. stupid design.

nah most likely same issue as before. gears strip. the plastics gears are so cheap that a small hit and they damage. stupid design.

I could see it being the gears if only one side worked, but if both sides don't work and you can't hear the little motor whirring, there's probably another issue than the gears.

oh you can't hear it moving...u mistypef that. yea prob electrical. if you do figure it out and you en dup having a spare set of mirrors and willign to sell them. please reach out via PM to me. tks
even if motor is burnt, i will take it as i just need the gears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom