1991 FJ80 won't start/crank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently, my 91 80 series doesn't want to start. Turning the key results in a click (kind of like a solenoid opening/closing noise) but nothing else. No cranking, no starting. I don't believe that this is the infamous EFI relay. I took care of that problem a few years back. (Plus, the symtom of a bummed EFI relay is it will crank, but not start.)

Anyone have any ideas. This happens on occasion. Other times it fires right up.

???

rusty-
Starter solenoid contacts.
Bill

>> Recently, my 91 80 series doesn't want to start.

Yep, I concur with Bill. Sounds like the starter solenoid contacts are burned, especially if the problem has been slow in coming on... and has gradually worsened. This is a fairly inexpensive fix as well, if you are handy enough to be able to R/R the starter on your own.

Try jumping from another battery to rule out possible battery problems.

Cheers, R -

Do not ignore failing contacts as though that's all you get. They can "weld" in an attempt to start and then ya can't shut 'er down :eek: So, be prepared to pop the hood and jerk the negative battery cable to save the rest of the electrical system ;) .

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4826;start=msg36655#msg36655 date=1062346557]
Do not ignore failing contacts as though that's all you get. They can "weld" in an attempt to start and then ya can't shut 'er down :eek: So, be prepared to pop the hood and jerk the negative battery cable to save the rest of the electrical system ;) .
[/quote]

Tapping on the starter with a hammer can free up the welded contacts in many cases after you pull the neg cable. It's a temporary thing though. they'll weld up again.

My '95 (125K miles) started the "click"=no start thing today.... It'll start after turning the key a few times, but the first couple trys I just get the "click"

Ross, Did you replace the contacts and did that take care of the problem? I want to take care of this before it goes any further...

Ovrroks,

It sounds like it's time for contacts for you. I suggest you replace them at your earilest convience. Parts will run you under 25 bucks.

D-

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4826;start=msg38407#msg38407 date=1062816140]
Ovrroks,

It sounds like it's time for contacts for you. I suggest you replace them at your earilest convience. Parts will run you under 25 bucks.

D-
[/quote]

Thanks CD, You wouldn't happen to have those part numbers handy would you? :D

Ross and Ovrroks,

Head Dan's advice! I waited too long with the starter clicking. I knew that was the problem from having one starter go earlier in my '94's life. What happened is exactly what Dan describes, I fried my alternator and drained my battery. I don't wrench so replacing both starter and alternator was in excess of $1K for remfg's. Battery took a charge so didn't replace it. TAKE CARE OF IT NOW!

Contacts for the 2.0kw srtarter are 28226-72010 and 28226-66060. They list for $11.72 each.

28226-72080 and 28226-72010 are the part numbers I got via http://www.elcats.ru/toyota/nahodka/fullimg.asp?piid=6106&smod=1&cid=472&treg=U The 66060 number is also still active, according to my parts manr. Replacing the contacts solved my problem. Took about an hour to do. Getting the top starter bolt out was the only PITA of the whole procedure. Working by feel in the space that a two year old's hand doesn't fit sucks! :D

Ross

The 28226-72010 applies to the 1.0kw 3FE starter (which is correct for Ross). The 28226-72010 is used on the 1.0kw 3FE and the 2.0kw 1FZ.

The 2.2kw (93 only) 1FZ uses 28226-54100 and 28226-76100.

The 1.4 kw 1FZ starter uses 28226-64370 and 28226-74070

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom