1991 FJ80 Fuel Filter Location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After reading up on a 3fe tune up, I've gathered most of the necessary parts and I'm beginning to scope out how to attach/detach these parts. Among them is the fuel filter. I've looked around MUD and have read horror stories about how hard it is to access on the 3fe and after finding what I assume to be the fuel filter, I don't think it's in all that hard a location.

Could anybody confirm this to be the fuel filter?

IMG_1322.jpg

That's it. Passenger side, near rearward part of the front the wheel well. There is another "pre-filter sock" located in the tank.

FWIW, the primary filter that you have pictures only took me about 20' to swap out on my 3FE. And, I am far from an accomplished mechanic.

Yeah I figured, I assume people who were bitching about it's location were probably referring to the fj62.

@Pitch I'm going to be doing this same job in the near future on my '92... I don't have a lift, and it is cold in the garage, so I want to get it done quickly. Any tips on how to position myself to keep from getting gas all over myself?

@Golgo13: I did my FPD, FPR and fuel filter all at the same time, with the tank cap removed. So, very little fuel spillage. I would just loosen up the connecting lines slowly and have a rag in hand. I lost less than an oz. of fuel this way.

Oh, and I have really long arms =)

Fuel Pressure Dampner
Fuel Pressure Regulator

Fuel filter isn't a bad job. I have a filter waiting to be swapped out. It'll wait until warmer weather...

How do you depressurize the fuel lines?
Start the engine and remove the circuit opening relay in the driver's side kick panel and allow the engine to stall. Then remove the fuel filler cap.
You'll still get fuel dripping out, but it won't be pressurized.

Start the engine and remove the circuit opening relay in the driver's side kick panel and allow the engine to stall. Then remove the fuel filler cap.
You'll still get fuel dripping out, but it won't be pressurized.
Another reason I found out that your E brake light will come on and that is the sensor in your reservoir for your master cylinder is low as it was in mine because when I went underneath I had a cracked brake line and it was leaking fluid.

Another reason I found out that your E brake light will come on and that is the sensor in your reservoir for your master cylinder is low as it was in mine because when I went underneath I had a cracked brake line and it was leaking fluid.
Not sure why you posted in a thread about fuel filters, but yes. The dash BRAKE lamp illuminates from the float in the brake fluid reservoir cap and from the switch on the handbrake mechanism. In both cases it will disable Cruise control.

Not sure why you posted in a thread about fuel filters, but yes. The dash BRAKE lamp illuminates from the float in the brake fluid reservoir cap and from the switch on the handbrake mechanism. In both cases it will disable Cruise control.
I posted it because changing my fuel filter led to me spotting brake lines we leaking. I was reading 2 different articles at one time and crossed them up.I can see why you thought that

I posted it because changing my fuel filter led to me spotting brake lines we leaking. I was reading 2 different articles at one time and crossed them up.I can see why you thought that
Anyway lots of good information regardless thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom