1989 FJ62 auto transmission help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so my transmission has something wrong with it. When it is cold it shifts late and the shift is very hard. As it warms up it shifts a little late but still very hard. I ordered a pan gasket so I can drop the pan and clean the filter then I plan on doing the "Rodney Flush" How much ATF will I need to have to flush and refill the transmission? I do not have a transmission cooler. FSM says I need 4 gallons of ATF will that be good?

Can someone explain the Throttle cable adjustment to me? I do not see a "stopper" on my cable it just has the dust boot and then the cable coming out of it.

You need to download the factory service manual for the A440F. If you can't find it easily pm me your email aned I'll like you to it on my dropbox.

I have it and I read it. The questions I have is regarding the Rodney flush. How much fluid will I need to flush and refill the transmission after I drop the pan and clean the filter?

I think I have a little too much fluid in the tranny ( showing about 1/4 inch over the top hot mark) I added some fluid after replacing the radiator and filled it to the cold mark so that was a screw up on me. I want to check the throttle cable adjustment and flush the tranny and clean the filter just to be on the safe side instead of just draining some fluid and trying it.

so back to my question how much fluid do I need to flush and refill the transmission. I would also like more detail on how to adjust the throttle cable properly because I do not see a stopper on the wire for my cable. and the FSM says to adjust the stopper to .5-1.5 mm from the dust cover on the cable.

4 gallons will work. That's about what mine took, maybe a little more but I ran it a bit long to make sure all old fluid was replaced.
Check the fluid after the truck is at normal operating temperature and check it while the truck is idling. You may not be too full. You may in fact be low.

when i first started it up after 10 minutes idle in the driveway it was showing low to the cold mark so I added about a quart. then I drove around for about 15 minutes and it was showing 1/4 over the hot mark so I am pretty sure I over filled it.

If it was at normal operating temperature and still showed over the hot mark you may have a little too much. It doesn't take much to drain some out. You don't even have to remove the plug completely just loosen it until the fluid drains out. Take out maybe half a quart and drive it an measure it again.

I drained half a quart and then drove it for a few minutes and it was still having problems shifting. I will get it flushed out and see if that helps.

After draining the 1/2 quart it was dead on in the hot mark so it was at least a little over filled.

Glad you have the manuals. The process to adjust the kick down cable is also in the FSM. Page AT-6 of the Chassis Manual:

1578499814965.png

Like I said a few times my cable does not have a stopper on it. how do I know it is adjusted correctly?

I'd have to see a picture to help answer this.

On a 30 year old cable it may be stretched to the point where the stopper position is irrelavent anyway (mine is). Just fiddle with it, tighten it a quarter turn, drive it and see what happens, then go the other way, and so on.

I ended up with my stopper way out of spec from the manual to fix my rpm flare during shifting, and incorrect downshifting under throttle. Works good now.

Ok so I dropped the pan and cleaned the filter last night. there were pieces of friction plates? clutch packs? whatever you call the black magic that makes a tranny work.... thin pieces of material that were about 1/8 to 1/2" long, Curved like its a round thing very thin. Is this a sign my tranny is shot or is there still a chance that flushing it and adjusting the cable will save it from needing to be rebuilt?

I went ahead and cleaned the magnets and hosed out the filter with carb cleaner there was quite a bit of fine metal on all of it.

Last edited:
There is probably something now stuck in the valve body somewhere. There is always that crazy "party trick," written about on here but I could never bring myself to actually do it.

Sounds like your tranny has a lot of internal wear. At this point, fill it up and see how it drives. The fuzz and dust is not a big worry, but the 'thin pieces of material' would concern me. Explain to your wife that you want an H55 for Christmas....

So the transmission will not shift under its own power any more and I am currently trying to find a replacement because I can not find a local shop that will touch this transmission.

If anyone has a transmission that they want to sell please let me know

Been there. If you can find a shop you trust to do it it's going to be Wall Street Banker Bail Out expensive. If you are interested there are many good write ups on doing a 4 or 5 speed swap.

from what I have seen those 4 and 5 speed transmissions are just as expensive as the a440. Would the only upside be if it dies I can get it repaired?

Cheapest - find a good used automatic, install it, and hope for the best
Next cheapest - find a used 4 speed (long style) and all parts, and do the swap yourself. A ton of work
More expensive - buy a $2800 H55F and find all the swap parts and do it yourself. Still a ton of work and $4K, with parts, new clutch, etc.
More expensive - Have a shop rebuild your trans - 3-5K, probably.

There are no 'great, cheap' options here. I would not swap in manual unless you plan to keep and drive the truck a long time.

from what I have seen those 4 and 5 speed transmissions are just as expensive as the a440. Would the only upside be if it dies I can get it repaired?
Yes, can be true but less maintenance and yes they can be repaired or swapped fairly easily depending on your skill level.
Got a quote from a reputable re-builder in my area, try $6200. I am slowly changing over to the manual trans at far less than that including tools. It will take me all Spring to complete but it will be worth it.

Yes, can be true but less maintenance and yes they can be repaired or swapped fairly easily depending on your skill level.
Got a quote from a reputable re-builder in my area, try $6200. I am slowly changing over to the manual trans at far less than that including tools. It will take me all Spring to complete but it will be worth it.
Any vendors you would recommend using or steering clear of to source the parts you need for the swap?
Right now I am debating 3 options
swapping a 4 speed manual
Swapping a 350 and a 700r4
Or replacing the auto trans and hoping it lasts for a while longer. But the auto seems to be a liability for the future of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom