1988 Trakka (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And I made 2 sets of armrest cup holders. It ended up being much more effort than anticipated, but was fun. I gave the second set to Alex.
If I was to do it again, I'd get smaller cup inserts and make the whole thing narrower. But more likely I would buy a set from Australia, they seem a lot less expensive to me now.

IMG_6275.jpg

IMG_6277.jpg

And I made 2 sets of armrest cup holders. It ended up being much more effort than anticipated, but was fun. I gave the second set to Alex.
If I was to do it again, I'd get smaller cup inserts and make the whole thing narrower. But more likely I would buy a set from Australia, they seem a lot less expensive to me now.

View attachment 2438778

View attachment 2438779

Nice work, those look incredible. I have the ones from OZ and they are great, but nothing like the ones you turned out.

It's pretty obvious where I stole the design. But if you're serious I can send you some tips.
It's mostly just beer and sand paper and boredom.

yeah i figured thats where you got the idea. Tips would be great, I like projects like that. I have so many other things to spend money on, and some time coming up soon.

Message sent.

I need to replace the headliner, I'll probably make an overhead console next. I need to start researching, there are so many possibilities, and my best ideas usually come after I'm finished.

Message sent.

I need to replace the headliner, I'll probably make an overhead console next. I need to start researching, there are so many possibilities, and my best ideas usually come after I'm finished.

Ive got an old Rono overhead console in my BJ74 pretty simple design. Fiberglass then carpeted. I'd like to remove carpet and put something else on it. Room for CB in the middle, then overhead pockets on each side.

First offroad camping trip, north California coast, then southern Oregon.
Found a leaky wheel.

IMG_6607.jpg

IMG_6606.jpg

IMG_6837.jpg

IMG_6644.jpg

Budget window insulation worked well. Not fancy like solarscreen or blidimax, but very easy and more fun.
Reflective bubblewrap insulation, fleece, magnets, hot glue and dental floss. I spent more that necessary for the fleece, but it honors the heritage,

IMG_7347.jpg

IMG_7346.jpg

IMG_7275.jpg

IMG_7271.jpg

IMG_7269.jpg

The magnets make it so I don't have to climb in the back to place or remove the covers. Can't do that with velcro or suction cups.

Those window covers have just inspired me to get cracking on my own. Nice work on the Trakka!

And on the last pic there: Holey Dooley!! You two Were very lucky.

I think it got worse when they rolled it over. We did half a front flip and landed on the roof, hanging from our seatbelts.
I didn't own it long enough to put in a roll cage, it just had the original roll bar. It still ran. I hope it's out there somewhere.

Next project is the headliner. The old suspended headliner hid the unfinished fiberglass underside of the pop top. Sewing a replacement was not an option, so I needed to fill the roof to side transition to give me something to glue to. I found thin pvc sheets with a foam core at home depot, and used a heat gun and a row of paint cans to get the curve right.
I still didn't know how I was going to shape the area above the windshield, so I started building an overhead console to hide my work. Eventually I figured out the front, and it was looking good enough to stop with the overhead console. I prepared a spot to mount one of the lights I bought for the console. I still installed a couple pieces of g10 to use as mounting points if I decide to add a console in the future. Then a layer of 1/8" landau foam over the pvc, and some surgery on the bubbles. And in keeping with the Australia theme, genuine faux emu hide. Embrace the tacky.

IMG_7519.jpg

Landau foam. I did this step by myself, the bubbles served as warning that I needed another set of hands for the headliner.

IMG_7759.jpg

IMG_7845.jpg

After measuring and cutting the material, I marked the midlines on the fabric and the foam, and we rehearsed the choreography to install it. After a couple dry runs, I applied the specialty spray adhesive, which is more forgiving than contact cement. And then we went for it, and it worked. What a relief!
I used contact cement on the edges and jammed the rubber edge trim back in place.
I still need to finish the edge above the windshield, and redo the sun visors. I think the visors will hide the minor wrinkles at the front corners.
This ended up a lot better than I thought it was going to. If it eventually goes to crap, I'm going to glue bathroom linoleum over it.

IMG_7848.jpg

IMG_7855.jpg

Next up was to finish the interior lights. I had planned on a center overhead console with a reading light for the rear side bench. With the headliner looking good I ditched the console and the second recessed overhead light I bought wouldn't work. I found these flexible warm white and red led lamps, they dim and they have usb charging ports. One can be used by the passenger or from the bench, and the other I mounted just inside the rear door.

IMG_8044.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom