1988 3B parts question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tennessee Jed

I can quit any time I want...
GOLD Star
Threads
I'm starting to look for parts for my 88 BJ73 (when I bring it home in a couple of weeks) and I'm noticing that lots of 3B parts go up to 1/88, and then other start at 8/88 and go later. My truck, according to the VIN search I did, was made 1/88. This was on ToyoDIY.

How hard of a cutoff is that for parts compatibility? Particularly water pumps, for instance, many of which seem to stop at 84, and then start up again at that good old "8/88".

What happened in August 1988 with 3B parts, and do I need to rigidly respect that cutoff date?

Many thanks.

On the water pump... good to go, they are the same. Basically there is a with fan clutch and without fan clutch option.

With fan clutch:

IMG_2757.JPG

Our part# EGW59105 shown, AISIN, made in Japan

IMG_2758.JPG

Our part EGW59105OEM, OEM Toyota, made in Japan

Without fan clutch and we have the deal of the day :D

$10 AISIN water pumps for BJ7x models w/o fan clutch

So I'm getting a 1/88 BJ73 with a 3B - ? My model # is not in that list...not exactly anyway. Mine is S-BJ73V-MN. I just reuse my old fan clutch? Or do I need to get the one with the fan clutch. $10 a piece is pretty amazing. You don't have any $20 alternators laying around do you?

So I'm getting a 1/88 BJ73 with a 3B - ? My model # is not in that list...not exactly anyway. Mine is S-BJ73V-MN. I just reuse my old fan clutch? Or do I need to get the one with the fan clutch. $10 a piece is pretty amazing. You don't have any $20 alternators laying around do you?

Yours will have a fan clutch. Either reuse or replace.

Kurt is saying that there are 3B's without fan clutches. That water pump is not what you need.

You need the 16100-59105.

Sorry I should have been more clear. There are two pumps, one for use with your existing fan clutch (the 59105 variant) and one for vehicles not equipped with with the fan clutch. It's entirely likely you have a fan clutch. They are generally reused however we stock those for your motor as well. And if you need a plastic fan blade, again we've got it :cool:

Fan Blade & Clutch Tech for BJ7x with 3B/13BT (A440F & H55F Models)

Thanks Kurt. Gonna snag both I think although I'm tempted to try the refill job.

I guess my original question was that there seemed to be a lot of parts that start with an 8/88 application but not before. And I didn't know if any of the gurus here knew about that or if that was a real thing that I had to consider with my 1/88 truck. Doesn't seem like it is at the end of the day.

There are changes and I don't claim to know or have really looking into the date variances and which parts change but we service a great deal of customers with 85-88 era 3B's so I'm not worried about finding the commonly needed parts for your vehicle.

Let us know on the water pump/fan clutch. We would love to help and can ship as soon as today!

Thanks Kurt. Gonna snag both I think although I'm tempted to try the refill job.

I guess my original question was that there seemed to be a lot of parts that start with an 8/88 application but not before. And I didn't know if any of the gurus here knew about that or if that was a real thing that I had to consider with my 1/88 truck. Doesn't seem like it is at the end of the day.

There was probably no BJ73 made between 1/88 and 8/88. A lot of parts have the part number on them.

1988 indicates the change from the earlier 3B to the later 3Bii engines that became available during this time period for some markets (mainly Europe).

This change over would not affect the water pump or fan clutch.

Mainly engine controls.

Thanks very much. So, I guess when possible I'll stick with the 1/88 thing and forget it the rest of the time. I think 1986 was the big engine change wasn't it? When it went to a 5 bearing block, and it seems like lots of other parts changed. At least from my reading.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks very much. So, I guess when possible I'll stick with the 1/88 thing and forget it the rest of the time. I think 1986 was the big engine change wasn't it? When it went to a 5 bearing block, and it seems like lots of other parts changed. At least from my reading.

Thanks for the input.

Possibly. I haven't looked anything up and working from memory at 0319 in the AM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom