Fan Blade & Clutch Tech for BJ7x with 3B/13BT (A440F & H55F Models) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiseroutfitters.com
We've been upping our fan clutch and fan blade offerings the last few years and recently I've been getting a few calls about the 7x variants. I've not spend a TON of time laying out all the year/model applications for all market 70's as it gets a bit cloudy but for the common Canadian spec and JDM spec imports I've compiled the following:

MANUAL TRANS (H55F) MODELS W/FAN CLUTCH:

FAN56040 fan clutch (commonly used here on Mud AISIN FCT-001). These have the small stud pattern (86x86mm) for the fan blade and the 6mm stud holes will need to be drilled out to match the 8x1.25mm studs on the EGW59105 water pump (actual drill size is closer to 9mm). These have a light blue colored fan hub. We've sold a few of these and everyone seems to be happy. I put one on one of our in-shop BJ71 projects and it worked nicely. From the factory these would pair with our FAN38010 AISIN blade which is a 7-blade 380mm (15") diameter and has the correct small stud pattern (86x86mm). The total height of the EGW59105/FAN56040/FAN38010 (or FAN56070) combo is 225mm.

fan_1 (Medium).jpg

EGW69105/FAN56040/FAN38010 Assembly

fan_2 (Medium).jpg

EGW69105/FAN56040/FAN56070 Assembly

FAN58030 fan clutch is a tan hub clutch with a slightly larger body than the FAN56040 but the same offsets and small stud pattern for the fan blade. These feature a higher cst fan clutch fluid so it has a tighter engagement. This will help with cooling issues for those needing additional fan "pull" due to mods such as bumpers and winches in front of the radiator. This clutch also features the correct 8mm bolt holes for the fan clutch so its a direct bolt on to the EGW59105 AISIN water pump. This clutch can be paired with the same 15" FAN38010 fan blade or if you have room we have a FAN56070 OEM Toyota 7-blade 410mm (16") diameter fan that also has the small 86x86mm mount pattern. I've not tried to fit one here in the shop but I just sent them out to a customer with a manual BJ73 and he measured his shroud and thinks he has more than enough room (including engine flex) to allow the 1" larger OD. I did find a thread from another Mud user that tried the larger fan and he had a little interference at the shroud so FYI. I'll update on that as I hear back. @SteveJackson, next time you bring our BJ71 project by the shop let's measure and look at fitting the larger fan. The total height of the EGW59105/FAN58030/FAN38010 (or FAN56070) combo is 225mm.

fan_3 (Medium).jpg

EGW59105/FAN58030/FAN38010 Assembly

fan_4 (Medium).jpg

EGW59105/FAN58030/FAN56070 Assembly

fan_5 (Medium).jpg

Comparison of FAN56040 to FAN58030

AUTO TRANS (A440F) MODELS W/FAN CLUTCH:

FAN58012 fan clutch. These area much larger body fan clutch (compared to the FAN56040 & FAN58030) and have the large stud pattern for the blade (96x96mm) and the holes match the 8x1.25mm studs on the EGW59105 water pump (actual drill size is closer to 9mm). These have a mint green colored fan hub. These would pair with our FAN41071 OEM Toyota blade which is a 7-blade 410mm (16") diameter blade. The total height of the EGW59105/FAN58012/FAN41071 combo is 230mm.

fan_6 (Medium).jpg

EGW59105/FAN58012/FAN41071 Assembly

fan_7 (Medium).jpg

Comparison of FAN58030 to FAN58012

BJ7x MODELS W/O FAN CLUTCH:

EGW69076 - This water pump is designed for BJ4x/6x/7x 3B equipped models without a fan clutch found in Europe and General markets. These utilize a spacer in between the fan blade the pump hub. I'm working on sourcing a blade and hub for this model to have on hand for the rare instance we get a call on that one :D

Interesting.

My 11/84 BJ73 H55f has a 16" 7 blade fan and had a blue hub. It has a 136x136 bolt pattern for the fan, my research showed that to be original to the car.

I now have a HJ60/61/75 hub which is dimensionally the same but has a very aggressive lock up.

Interesting.

My 11/84 BJ73 H55f has a 16" 7 blade fan and had a blue hub. It has a 136x136 bolt pattern for the fan, my research showed that to be original to the car.

I now have a HJ60/61/75 hub which is dimensionally the same but has a very aggressive lock up.

Exactly the feedback I was hoping to get. What market is your BJ73 from? Frame number by chance?

It's a BJ73-MRQ, BJ73-0000677.

It was sold new in Australia.

Gotcha, that explains it (somewhat), my applications above are for Canada and JDM spec imports. I probable should have been more clear on that. However as time allows I plan to expand the scope.

EDIT: BJ73RV-MRQ by chance??

I've run your frame#/model in the EPC and I show the same applications as listed above. I'd be curious what information you've found pointing to it as being original. The plot thickens :D

Ah yes, that would make sense. I imagine people would probably want the larger fan and hub as upgrade too, goodness knows narrow front 70 series are not the easiest car to keep cool.

while chasing my over heating issues for my hj-75 I found out that the hub on it was not locking up, I tried putting in new fluid but it still did not help. So, I replaced it with one for a 1HD-FT that I had laying around for another project. it works but still didn't fix my overheating issue. just pointing out what fan/clutch I switched to :)

Just a friendly recommendation Kurt:

Use Toyota part numbers as opposed to your awkward part numbering system which is obviously placed and emphasized to sell your wares.

:meh:

Why would I use OEM part numbers that don't correlate to 25 years of our part numbering? Furthermore why would I use OEM part numbers for aftermarket parts, many of which don't have a direct Toyota integration. While it may be confusing to a 5x5 world it's seemingly not confusing to our customers and I hope that even outside of my "emphasis" this info is found useful to some. If nothing else it was extremely useful for us to compile and verify some fitments.

beno said:
Providing information that is not cross-referenceable with Toyota part numbers is--technically speaking--useless.

Toyota part numbers are the necessary currency worldwide.

This is a technical forum; Not a forum for selling things. There are other areas of MUD for selling things and is the rules.

We can agree to disagree. I feel it's tech. There are vast examples of threads throughout the forum with the OP there just to offer a product (myself included) so I'm curious why your picking on this one?

PS, we ship worldwide, all currencies accepted ;)

Sorry. I'm obviously out of order. I'll go back technical discussions elsewhere.
The line between tech and sales can be blurry at times.......

If someone post a part number and then explains that he or she can source said part, is that tech or sales?
If someone post a photo of an accessory and then provides a link to the website that sells the accessory, is that tech or sales?
If someone has an alternate source for parts that are no longer available from Toyota and post that source for the benefit of the Cruiser community, is that tech or sales?
See where I am going with this?
There are FEW INNOCENTS on 'MUD, including myself, and I personally would be reluctant to criticize others for doing what I have also done. To do so would come also as hypocritical.
Ok, back to the regularly scheduled program.......

Last edited:
I don't sell anything Charles nor do I tell people where to buy their junk.

I provide ten digit Toyota parts numbers. And that's it's.

If it makes you happier, I'll relinquish my vendor status and still post technical information as I have done for over a decade here.

Would that make you happier?
My family and I enjoy good health and I own a vintage Land Cruiser therefore I'm already happy. Your status as a vendor won't effect that. Unless I missed something, the above post simply points out the issue between tech and sales and I don't recall mentioning you by name.
Kurt, My apologies for the hijack.

Last edited:
I inherited a new water pmp originally for my brothers now-sold FJ62.
It was made by Aisin and is marked WPT028.
Seems to correlate to Toyota 16110-61081.

Blind alley?

I inherited a new water pmp originally for my brothers now-sold FJ62.
It was made by Aisin and is marked WPT028.
Seems to correlate to Toyota 16110-61081.

Blind alley?

Sorry, just saw your reply,

That is correct, 1/79'-7/87' 2F W/Oil Cooler

A bit more water pump tech - 3B/13BT Water Pump Variants

EGW59076 - No Fan clutch
EGW59095 - For Small Body Fan Clutch (FAN56040/86x86mm)
EGW59105 - for Large Body Fan Clutch (FAN58012/96x96mm)
EGW59105OEM - Large Body Fan Clutch (OEM Toyota)
EGW59185- Large Body Fan Clutch & Extra mounting bung on pump housing (see red dot)

Last edited:
A bit more water pump tech - 3B/13BT Water Pump Variants

View attachment 1759270

EGW59076 - No Fan clutch
EGW59095 - For Small Body Fan Clutch (FAN56040/86x86mm)
EGW59105 - for Large Body Fan Clutch (FAN58012/96x96mm)
EGW59105OEM - Large Body Fan Clutch
EGW59185- Large Body Fan Clutch & Extra mounting bung on pump housing (see red dot)

@Full_Throttle, here is that link :cool:

Funny how this comes about when I'm in the middle of adding a clutchfan from a 3B on my 3BII which was clutchless. I redrilled some holes for the smaller spacing in the clutch hub. I hope it fits over the water pump center hub :confused: Good info to know! I was thinking of swapping the waterpump hub or replace the inner works to accomodate the larger spacing. Or at worst, the whole pump assembly. No lip on my shroud on my 89bj75

How flush do the nuts fit on the front side of the fan clutch? It's ramped so will they sit tight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom