1987 FJ60 California Emissions Smog Test Fail - Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

The time had come once again for me to attempt to smog my 1987 FJ60. Unfortunately, this most recent test did not provide me with the answer I had hoped for and resulted in a solid FAIL.

Long story short, I purchased this truck from the original owner's family back in late 2018 with about 289,000 miles, and drove it for two years until the tags expired in November of 2020. I attempted to run it through a smog test at that time, which it failed miserably. As a result, I put it in a non-op status, focused on other projects, and recently revisited the emissions issues. During the "downtime", I continued to drive it weekly to keep things fluid. In terms of maintenance, I had the carburetor rebuilt, had the smog pump rebuilt, installed a new catalytic converter (Magnaflow OEM replacement), performed an oil change, replaced the spark plugs, all vacuum lines, adjusted timing, distributor cap/rotor, and spark plug wires (among other things).

What has me stumped is that PRIOR to performing any of these repairs/maintenance, the truck passed (or "passed"?) smog at a local shop. Yet after I replaced a significant amount of emissions equipment, it continues to fail. I have gone through the 2F emissions manual religiously to ensure the vacuum lines are routed correctly and that all emissions equipment is functioning as it should. At this point, I'm thinking the carburetor needs to be fine tuned to pass emissions, despite running extremely well for regular street driving. If it's running a bit rich, how lean does it need to be to pass emissions? Do I need to screw the fuel mixture screw ALL the way in when attempting to pass emissions?

My current carburetor setting has the fuel mixture screw backed off about 1 3/4 turns, with the float level dead-center in the sight glass. Jets installed are factory at 147 and 200. Idle is set at 650rpm when HOT using the lean-drop method to tune. Idle with choke pulled all the way out is at 1500rpm, though that shouldn't matter when it comes to emissions. I live in San Diego near sea-level, so I've kept that in mind as well when fine-tuning.

At this point I've just about given up, but refuse to throw in the towel because of the hours and money I've invested into a silly emissions test. Pretty silly that I can drive my 1967 Ford truck around as a daily driver in California, but a 1980's Toyota with a plethora of emissions equipment won't make the cut.

For those who have successfully passed emissions in CA, what's your secret? Adjusting timing to 5* BTDC? E-85 fuel mixed with 91? Carb tuning using a digital A/F meter? I'm all ears! This community has been extremely helpful in getting me this far, so I figured I'd reach out to the experts to get me over the final hump. Attached are photos of the most recent FAIL and the emissions test that PASSED. Thanks everyone!

Receipt_2023-03-28_195340.JPG
2023-03-28_200250.JPG

You may have to lean it out some more!
Set the timing at 7 degrees BTDC.
Have you installed a new PCV valve ?
And did you change your oil prior to smog.
Clean your plugs and re check your gap.
Need to get it at running temp before doing your smog check.
Make sure you have a clean air filter also.

Last edited:
Doesn’t seem your smog pump is working correctly. You have 0.0 in your O2%

^^agree that you should have measurable residual oxygen. Something is wrong with your AI system. Without enough oxygen the catalytic converter won’t work.

Air Injection system, to start. Once that is functioning, then you'll need to address the other issues. My experience is when AI gets fixed, it brings the other systems in line.

Have you gone through the emissions manual, system by system, doing each test?

As for timing, stock book timing is 7* BTDC, but for the test, I place it at 4 or 5* BTDC to lower NOx. In CA, you can only be +/- 3* from stock timing spec or you will fail, though in my experience, most smog techs can't even find timing marks, let alone know how to read them off a flywheel (the BB). I have a timing light that allows you to set advance and then check to see if the BB/pointer line up.

Last edited:
Double check the vsv valves operation on the thermostat housing.

^^agree that you should have measurable residual oxygen. Something is wrong with your AI system. Without enough oxygen the catalytic converter won’t work.
Makes sense! Should have caught that earlier, but I'll look into the AI system to see what's off. If the AI system was working as it should, could that be enough to balance the air/fuel mixture coming out of the exhaust?

Air Injection system, to start. Once that is functioning, then you'll need to address the other issues. My experience is when AI gets fixed, it brings the other systems in line.

Have you gone through the emissions manual, system by system, doing each test?

As for timing, stock book timing is 7* BTDC, but for the test, I place it at 4 or 5* BTDC to lower NOx. In CA, you can only be +/- 3* from stock timing spec or you will fail, though in my experience, most smog techs can't even find timing marks, let alone know how to read them off a flywheel (the BB). I have a timing light that allows you to set advance and then check to see if the BB/pointer line up.

Thanks for the info! I did go through the manual performing each test, but had to wing a couple having only one set of hands or the wrong equipment. Might be wise to perform those correctly, as it could have prevented this thread altogether.

I'll definitely adjust the timing to 4 or 5 BTDC, since I've read other threads where people have had success using that method.

Makes sense! Should have caught that earlier, but I'll look into the AI system to see what's off. If the AI system was working as it should, could that be enough to balance the air/fuel mixture coming out of the exhaust?
Of course it depends on what else is going on. All the systems need to be working correctly. Mine passes smog every two years. Timing is set to 7 BTDC. Idle mixture is set per the lean drop. You should be able to get there too.

Here is a link to my smog results over the years: California Biennial Smog Test Thread: 1985 FJ60 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/california-biennial-smog-test-thread-1985-fj60.1286461/post-14479654

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom