Builds 1987 FJ60 Birthday gift build (Stegosaurus) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The plan this weekend since it will be raining here the entire time is to get the fenders, hood and valance stripped and ready to prime. Then to move onto the body and start the repairs it needs. I have another cruiser lined up to go look at to see if I can part it out and use some pieces off of it that I need. Front doors, passenger seat to swap to my drivers etc.

What are you guys opinion on paint color. I originally wanted to go back to the original white, but after seeing all the rust and the lack of available body panels to patch my quarters I am thinking about going in a complete different direction and painting it the Calvary Blue off the TRD pro 4runner. Do you think this combo would look good with the brown and tan intention I currently have. I dont really want to spend the money to swap it to gray right now, but love this color. What are your thoughts. I havent seen another 60 or 62 in this color yet.

1570024965625.png

Great looking truck, welcome to the madness!
Awesome wife you got there and Happy Belated Birthday to another Virgo! I got a few years on you but basically did the same thing around your age, ran to Utah to pick mine up.

If you haven't already, download the FSMs and get familiar with them (See my sig).
Also, get a separate credit line and get familiar with places like partsouq.com and other parts sites. Then head to Cruiser Outfitters, MarkOffroad, etc. for all you OEM parts, replace EVERYTHING you can with OEM or what others have found to be acceptable non-OEM.

Depending on how bad the rear fender rust is you "may" be able to salvage if you are handy with a welder and have time/patience to deal with some fabrication. Look through my build thread and you will see what I am talking about. There is one or two companies that make rear fender dog legs and whatnot, pricey but they are good steel. Can't remember names off the top of my head but I know that Jason Reeves (@TRAIL TAILOR ) does sell them occasionally so he may be able to provide some more information.

As for painting, to each their own on color. Never been a huge fan of the new Voodoo Blue or whatever it is on the 4Runners but everyone has different tastes. My truck BeBe got a new paint job last year that I did myself, in the wind..... in my driveway... about this time of year! It was a fun and interesting process/project but was very time consumptive. Hell it took me longer to prep the body for paint with tape and plastic than it did to paint the entire vehicle. Prep is key there, so when you think you are ready to paint and have "scuffed" and "sanded" everything as much as possible... go over it again with a fine too comb and make sure you got EVERYTHING.

Doesn’t Wolf make a bunch of patch panels? I could have the name wrong and I’m not familiar with the quality.

edit: found the link

Also, I think brown/tan would look better with cavalry blue than gray

Doesn’t Wolf make a bunch of patch panels? I could have the name wrong and I’m not familiar with the quality.

edit: found the link

Also, I think brown/tan would look better with cavalry blue than gray

Thanks for the link, I had not seen them yet. The problem I have is I need the inside quarter panel, the bottom of the left wheel house and the back dished corner where the bumper meets.

I am thinking I am going with the Cavalry blue. I think it would look good with brown as well.

Great looking truck, welcome to the madness!
Awesome wife you got there and Happy Belated Birthday to another Virgo! I got a few years on you but basically did the same thing around your age, ran to Utah to pick mine up.

If you haven't already, download the FSMs and get familiar with them (See my sig).
Also, get a separate credit line and get familiar with places like partsouq.com and other parts sites. Then head to Cruiser Outfitters, MarkOffroad, etc. for all you OEM parts, replace EVERYTHING you can with OEM or what others have found to be acceptable non-OEM.

Depending on how bad the rear fender rust is you "may" be able to salvage if you are handy with a welder and have time/patience to deal with some fabrication. Look through my build thread and you will see what I am talking about. There is one or two companies that make rear fender dog legs and whatnot, pricey but they are good steel. Can't remember names off the top of my head but I know that Jason Reeves (@TRAIL TAILOR ) does sell them occasionally so he may be able to provide some more information.

As for painting, to each their own on color. Never been a huge fan of the new Voodoo Blue or whatever it is on the 4Runners but everyone has different tastes. My truck BeBe got a new paint job last year that I did myself, in the wind..... in my driveway... about this time of year! It was a fun and interesting process/project but was very time consumptive. Hell it took me longer to prep the body for paint with tape and plastic than it did to paint the entire vehicle. Prep is key there, so when you think you are ready to paint and have "scuffed" and "sanded" everything as much as possible... go over it again with a fine too comb and make sure you got EVERYTHING.

Thanks for the info and the welcome, and I will check out your build.

That blue will look great.

That looks awesome.

Also, I am currently in the bedliner hell you just got out of looking at your build. I spent and hour and a half stripping off the valance last night and part of the right fender...

Grammar note from the grammar cop: It's Cavalry blue, not Calvary blue. The words have significantly different meanings!

IMO, I'm not sure a light-ish blue would go all that well with a brown interior. I would think the blue and a gray interior might work better together. But, I'm a 'stock paint color' person anyway.

I got the doors removed and the windshield this weekend. POR15 on all the drip edges after getting all the old seam sealer out.

Hood and fenders are primed and the hood is blocked. ready for another coat of primer and then paint. I am going with white again. I want it original and dont want to use a color I have to get corrected on the name of...there is always one...

Hopefully have the front end, jambs, top and cowl painted in the next few weeks.

IMG_9426.jpg

IMG_9427.jpg

IMG_9428.jpg

Anyone have a sprayable rust converter they prefer to another? POR doesnt make one, Eastwood does, but idk about the quality.

OOOOHHH.... since you have it taken down this far I would redo all the seam sealer in the drip rails. Look for the threads about "my front drivers floorpan is wet" and you will see what I am talking about. Will require special gun for the two part sealer but WELL worth it while you are torn that far down.

Also, pull the other (drivers side) fender off an clean out the front cowl drains and also check those seams there for indications of drips. Reseal that area as well. Same threads as above should point you in the right direction. NOTORIOUS places for leaks. Then when time comes look up the thread about PROPER windshield installation.

OOOOHHH.... since you have it taken down this far I would redo all the seam sealer in the drip rails. Look for the threads about "my front drivers floorpan is wet" and you will see what I am talking about. Will require special gun for the two part sealer but WELL worth it while you are torn that far down.

Also, pull the other (drivers side) fender off an clean out the front cowl drains and also check those seams there for indications of drips. Reseal that area as well. Same threads as above should point you in the right direction. NOTORIOUS places for leaks. Then when time comes look up the thread about PROPER windshield installation.

Yeah I am sealing the drip rails back up this weekend. I already put POR15 down after getting the old sealer out and have it scuffed and ready to coat. I also sealed the seams under the fenders with some silicone. I have both fenders off, but my garage is too tight to take a picture of the other side.

Thanks for the tips.

Yeah I am sealing the drip rails back up this weekend. I already put POR15 down after getting the old sealer out and have it scuffed and ready to coat. I also sealed the seams under the fenders with some silicone. I have both fenders off, but my garage is too tight to take a picture of the other side.

Thanks for the tips.

Please tell me you aren't ACTUALLY using silicone to seal in the fenders!!!

Please tell me you aren't ACTUALLY using silicone to seal in the fenders!!!

Yes, I did when I took the fenders off so I could narrow down the source of the water leak that I was having. Left front a-pillar sealer had failed and was letting water in.

It is not an area that is painted, or visible. The area did not have paint on it from the factory.

Yes, I did when I took the fenders off so I could narrow down the source of the water leak that I was having. Left front a-pillar sealer had failed and was letting water in.

It is not an area that is painted, or visible. The area did not have paint on it from the factory.
Right, but silicone sealant has a tendency to attract and hold moisture. So putting it somewhere like a seam will only tend to promote rust in those areas. Sometimes, depending on the sealant, this can be avoid with like shower/tub caulk that is silicone based, but really you should use actual seam sealer in those areas.

Right, but silicone sealant has a tendency to attract and hold moisture. So putting it somewhere like a seam will only tend to promote rust in those areas. Sometimes, depending on the sealant, this can be avoid with like shower/tub caulk that is silicone based, but really you should use actual seam sealer in those areas.

I understand and I know that Toyota did not use that from the factory, I have not decided weather to use it permanently or not. That said any silicone even down the basic element is hydrophobic. Most seam sealer you read says it is supposed to be top coated and they are not very flexible so I put silicone on there for the time being.

Thanks for the concern but I will be OK.

I haven't posted in a few weeks, but I am getting the fenders hood and valance painted this week.

I thought I had a windshield lined out because mine had de-laminated.

Any advise on a good place besides Toyota to source a new one. They are crazy expensive.

Eastwood has all the rust preventative sprays and the correct seam sealer you need. I have pics of the products I used in my build thread. Welcome to the madness and have fun😀

Looks like you're having fun! I love the blue color. I like staying with Toyota colors, but in my search for the right "blue" for when I do mine, I came accross VW's "Dove Blue" I really like it. it has a little more gray in it than blue. Regardless, great color with the Cavalry, and have fun with your build! Can't wait to see the final product!
1572971394905.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom