Builds 1986 RJ70 build thread (AUS) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well long time since an update. Few things have happened in the mean time.

IMAG1304.jpg

IMAG1299.jpg

IMAG1300.jpg

Managed to get my door cards done in aluminum checker plate, put a little compartment in the rears for spare parts storage. Also chucked in some sound proofing which has helped alot keeping cabin noise down. Still need to do the front doors and floor though.

I then also put in the rear shelf system in, though will have to be redone as it wasn't originally made to allow for my side compartments.

IMAG1308.jpg

Even managed a long weekend of camping with the new setup

received_1989091891421258.jpeg

I entered a local 4x4 competition as well, only in standard class ( 4 inch lift Max, 33s Max, no lockers). Little Bundy was doing pretty good. Until I didn't realise that the alternator had shaken loose on a bumpy section, which resulted in the belt being loose and not spinning the water pump which then blew the radiator.......bummer

Though I managed to get the radiator reconditioned, put a new water pump in and happy days, had to fix the roof as well as I put that into a tree during the comp.

received_2049796988684081.jpeg
received_2049805755349871.jpeg
received_2049808098682970.jpeg
received_2049810002016113.jpeg
received_2049810182016095.jpeg

Was good fun, this was my second time doing it, will hopefully be back again without damaging anything this time around.

Time for an update

The Bundy is looking a bit sad at the moment

received_684000198659858.jpeg

Motor/gearbox and transfer all out, I Am having the little 22r motor rebuilt with a few performance bits added to help it along a bit, these include

.LCE pro cylinder head
.LCE pro tourqer Cam
.32/36 Weber
.MSD coil
.LCE pro distributor and leads

On top of that everything else is being replaced with new parts where I can including starter motors and plugs and everything inbetween.

received_357292141513163.jpeg

As well as the motor I have a reconditioned R151f transmission and transfer case from an lj70 going in as well. I had to buy an adaptor plate to match it to the 22r, so will see how much drama that will cause when we get to it. Picture of when I picked the box up before rebuild.

IMAG0036.jpg

So the build is coming along, now I know I mentioned I originally wanted to do a 3rz conversion, and truth be told I still do, however cost and time of the conversion pushed me to rebuild instead. Maybe further down the track I will.

Finally my temporary loan car while my brother rebuilds the bundera. Not bad for a loaner car

IMAG0136.jpg

Well I'll leave it at that, hopefully will have some more progress pics as the build continues.

Cheers

few small updates

Rocker cover coming along, can't have a rebuild without some fresh paint

received_2212582505621752.jpeg

The motor itself is coming along nice not far off being done. However the LC engineering timing chain kit I got wasn't working as the chain was to long, so they have to order in another shorter one which is annoying. Oh well.

received_312802919571965.jpeg

received_210397703224864.jpeg

Well here's hoping I should have this back new years eve which would make for an awesome start to the new year, can't wait.

Well the motor is back from being rebuilt, pretty excited to see it go back In the Bundy.

received_377716276327137.jpeg

Looking just a bit sexy

There were a couple of issues, nothing major. There were some slight complications fitting the head and timing chain I got from LC engineering, due to there being different blocks, even though I purchased the stuff for my year model. Though nothing the shop couldn't over come with a bit of modifications, which is lucky cause it could have been a very expensive hiccup otherwise.

The new Weber 32/36 showed up and has been modified already to help with climbing hills.

received_284204022291989.jpeg

Was a bit nerve wracking having a brand new $500 carb drilled and JB welded, but will be for the best when it comes time to go off-road.

Finally my new years was spent camping at kenilworth on the Mary river, which was great. Got to test out all the loaner car camping stuff.

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

Well that's it for the time being, motor is slowly getting the Bolt on stuff put back on, getting the inlet manifold sand blasted clean next week then hopefully the motor can be put back in, then see how much drama the gearbox and adaptor causes.

Cheers

Cool stuff! I like how the RJ's are kind of a blend of Cruiser and mini-truck drivetrain. Does it have a 9.5" rear diff?

Yeah they are definitely unique, hilux (Tacoma in the states I think) engines and gear box and diffs, 60 series transfer and Bundy specific axles and front end.

Makes modding a bit of a chore sometimes. As for the rear diff I believe it's the smaller 8 inch one, same as a hilux, however I'm no expert and someone may prove me wrong.

Small update

Had the intake sent away for a clean at the shop, and it's come back looking brand new, matches the new looking motor now

received_389485074930074.jpeg

Also the carby is finished being modified with the new over flow port done and ready to connect to the return fuel line when it goes back together

received_976396972558873.jpeg

And a pic of the motor on the engine stand just because it looks so damn sexy

received_336007157003933.jpeg

And got to celebrate Australia day the best way possible, camping out near a river

IMAG0245.jpg

Hopefully more updates soon, still waiting on parts but it should be coming together soon

Cheers

Well thing's are coming along

Few pics of the carb install coming along.

Also a bit of a touch up on some bits and pieces make it look a bit nicer.

More to come

Also had the breather put onto the transfer case which I think is pretty crucial, having filled my previous transfer with muddy water while doing cape york. Drained the oil and looked like iced coffee coming out. So definitely a necessary mod in my eyes.

Also the adapter seen attached to fit the R151F to G52 bellhousing.

Well that's it for the time being, it's coming along quickly now though.

Yeah went with a new timing chain kit from LC engineering, with the steel guides, have run them since I got the car.

Good man, I know a few guys who slacked on that and paid for that decision in a very bad way.

Cheers

Been a while since an update, not a great deal has been done to the poor old Bundy.

My brother dropped the motor back in so as he could start getting the transmission and transfer in.

Not to many dramas getting the motor in. We did go with new engine mounts, however typical bundera form, purchased RJ70 mounts, which didn't work and seemed to be for a 22r powered hilux I think, and didn't fit. Replaced them with LJ70 mounts and they fit fine. Bloody Bundy 😂

Next is the first major speed bump we have come across, and that's with the gearbox.

Due to the adaptor and possibly slightly different length of gearbox the cross member is to far out to use. After much discussion with my brother on a whole range of ways to overcome this including dodgy brackets or modifying the crossmember, we decided a new custom built member was the best option.

As can be seen we tried making the holes larger to try and get a Bolt in but to no luck, so we are going the route we both consider the best option and going a custom member utilising the factory mounting points on the chassis.

Hopefully I'll have some more progress after the Easter period.

Cheers

Geez I have been slack with the updates.

So got the motor in, gearbox all mated up in the end and was running like a champ.

Though there has been a few issues. The gearbox refused to downshift into 3rd, and 1st was also hard. Fixed under warranty which was great. They did the rear main seal as it was weeping already. Probably due to the next issue.

The PCV valve failed and I think was causing issues of pressure in the motor, got that fixed and plumbed up properly which was great.

I then had an over heating issue, had a mechanic try and find the issue, couldn't so just gave the cooling system a service and seems fine now. At the same time I had them adjust the temp gauge and oil pressure gauge as they were both not reading right.

And finally my current issue, carby is leaking into the intake it seems and trying to start the car is a mission, takes a good hour of cranking and letting it sit, using start ya bastard etc. Replaced the original adaptor with a LCE spiral adaptor to see if that fixed it but unfortunately not. So going to have the car booked in to get that fixed and hopefully get a dyno tune done at the same time.

Anyway some pics of the finished product, hopefully I can update soon.

20200411_145245.jpg

20200314_144957.jpg

20200411_145142.jpg

Any updates on the Bundy mate? I picked up 2 a while ago and will start work on the first one soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom