1986 FJ60 Frame Off Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Even took some time with orig bottle jack. Like everything on this truck, its well made and smooth after all these years.

3.jpg

Forgot to include a few "before" underside shots. I have an iphone full of about 1000 cruiser pics. Trying to include the important ones only.

75.jpg

76.jpg

Thermostat works. Flywheel resurfaced. Make sure your machine shop knows about the steps on the flywheel. One local shop had no idea. But when the next shop asked me if i was OK with the factory steps like OEM I knew i was in the right place. That place was amazing. Like going back in time . Can't believe it exists around here. Also used them to resurface my intake/exhaust manifolds.

46.jpg

44.jpg

Pinion seals were in rough shape. Got the right parts and no more leaks from this area. Thanks for all your help on the forums. ANd of course the knuckle job. Was really satisfying once completed. And of course i had just tossed a fish scale. had to borrow one. Friend asked where i was going to fish. I said it was for my axle job. They asked no more questions. If you're considering the knuckle rebuild , just do it. It is not hard at all. Takes some time and a lot of paper towels. But i was prepared for much bigger mess than i had. Way cleaner than replacing torsion bars on old porsches, thats for sure.

15.jpg

23.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Final product for front axle. VERY satisfying to see it come together. Also serviced and greased the locking hubs. I know the original color is gold/bronze but they look so good in red. and if i ever want the orig color i guess i could easily remedy that issue. Unbelievable how smooth the axle is once its serviced. very impressed with the engineering.

22.jpg

20.jpg

heres a few boxes of plated parts. kind of hard to organize before you get it plated. here's a good tip that i found works. used it on some other restorations and i've been pleased: get a pad of graph paper and lay out the hardware and write what each subassembly is for with groups of hardware (i.e. firewall, front axle, etc) then you can take pics of it as you dip it in evaporust and spray with WD40 before you toss it in the box for the plater. Then, you can lay it out on graph paper when its all nice and shiny. Kind of helps. But still a headache. Totally worth it though imo.

48.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

before and after transmission and transfer case. had leaking output shaft seals x 2. easy fix. serviced all the switches and hardware . didnt need any major seals. replaced speedo cable gaskets as that was leaking a bit. new fluid and plug gaskets. once again, the serviced unit was so smooth i kept playing with transfer case and enjoyed the end result

55.jpg

34.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

New clutch and slave cylinder . Rear axle finished up and ready to go. new rear brake cylinders and hardware, new pinion seal, diff cover gasket, etc.

56.jpg

16.jpg

got some good suspension parts in the mail. was ready to put these in . will follow with some installed pics. Had an issue with the bushing size for my shocks. Apparently in 85-86 there was a transition to smaller bushings in the rear shocks. keep this in mind if you are getting new shocks. and don't install the bushings until you know they fit. was a PITA to get the wrong size bushing out of the rear shocks prior to installation.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Great job —yeah our projects are very similar —great eye for the small restoration details .
My Fj60 was built April 1986 also👍

You've prob seen enough engine build threads. new rear main and all gaskets replaced and torqued properly. surprisingly the oil pan gasket was the hardest one in my opinion. but guess what? no leaks. amazing. and toyota FIPG is nasty stuff . people start asking why your hands are stained black.

26.jpg

25.jpg

27.jpg

33.jpg

42.jpg

And thank you toyota for designing the bell housing in such as way to make it difficult to access the clutch plate. But it turned out OK. Again, tons of info on the forums and could not have done it without the mud people. new TOB and pilot bearing . clutch slave went in easy.

28.jpg

43.jpg

31.jpg

drivetrain ready to go on frame. Pretty darn heavy. Had to support transmission with a block of wood. didn't want to have the pan get uneven pressure. Borrowed a wooden holder to place on my hydraulic lift table. What a great system . worked wonderfully.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom