1986 FJ60 Center Console Color code (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joa

Threads
Finally getting around to working on the interior trim of my FJ60! Been surfing Mud for a while and decided to pose a question!

Struggling here looking for the correct color to paint the OEM center console on a late(June) 1986 FJ60. I have tried the "heat gun" restore method to no avail. Process I shall use:

1) thoroughly clean the center console with degreaser, then rubbing alcohol
2) Then I am thinking of using the SEM 38353 plastic prep followed by a thorough dry
3) finally, the plan is to apply COLORBOND LVP Finisher with the correct color.

Here is where I am stuck. Is the center console Graphite Gray? Would that be the closest match? Last thing I want is for the paint to be completely off and not match the rest of the interior trim.

A couple of pictures of when I began patching up the unit.

Thanks!!
IMG_2792.JPG
IMG_2797.JPG
IMG_2800.JPG

@CaptClose Good Evening CaptClose! The color is SPOT ON. Question - planning on painting the whole console tomorrow. Was ONE can enough to paint yours?

5 minutes between coats?

thanks,
Joa

@CaptClose Good Evening CaptClose! The color is SPOT ON. Question - planning on painting the whole console tomorrow. Was ONE can enough to paint yours?

5 minutes between coats?

thanks,
Joa

Glad it worked out brother. I think one can should be enough for the center console, but it doesn’t hurt to have a second can available just in case. You’ll use it for touch up jobs in the future too.

As far as technique is concerned... I did three light coats, waiting 10-15 minutes between applications.

Pro tip: Don’t paint with latex gloves on. The finger tip end can interfere with the spray and you’ll end up with paint splatter on your console.

Thanks again Capt! Going to buy that second can and follow your steps. Will post some after pictures as soon as it is done!

Ok. So the sun was shinning today and I decided to give it a shot. Here are the steps I took:

1) thoroughly washed rewashed and washed again with Dawn
2) washed rewashed and washed again with simple green using a green scuff pad
3) used TSP and TSP substitute to try and make sure all the grime was off
4) sprayed on SEM 38353 Plastic Prep and wiped off with shop towels x 2
5) sprayed 4 light coats of SEM graphite 15303 recommended by @CaptClose

Super content with results. My biggest mistake was having used a heat gun to try and bring out the plastics oils and recondition the console that way, prior to deciding to paint it. The blow gun method was NOT effective and cracked+ondulated the console. If it were not for the imperfections caused by the heat gun, I would say the console would have appeared brand new. Time will tell if it will hold.
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG
IMG_3014.JPG
IMG_3016.JPG

Man... that looks great. It should hold up well because of your meticulous prep work. Here are my results using the same color on my 80 Series.

C183DD94-713F-475F-908C-C07858E2D0B6.jpeg

Rock on! Thanks again for the tip! Yours look brand new. I now know, for future builds, that we can grab pretty much destroyed consoles, plastic weld the heck out of them, sand, prep, then paint with SEM and they will look as good as new.

came out great... did you also do the lid on the console?

came out great... did you also do the lid on the console?

Not sure who this question is directed too, but I’ve painted 60 and 80 series cruisers using the above methods. Of course the later 89 series has a leather pad, but it can be removed and the lid painted. The 60 series is pretty straightforward. The lid shines up just as well. No problems at all.

That’s a great job I use this exact process on my gray center consul for my FJ60
Thanks for the help and posting this
I have a center consul for FJ60 to that appears a little darker any ideas what actual color paint it is

F67A73D4-7250-4846-9E6B-9BF6A81A92F6.jpeg

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom