1985 Toyota auto tranny, risky? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just found a 1985 Toyota 4-Runner 22RE Auto for about $650. I am going to take a look at it next week. The truck didnt start one day so the family has just left it parked in their yard for about 2yrs (it was just used on the weekends so they didnt care). I know its risky since I dont know whats wrong with it, but for 6bills? I dont think I can go too wrong with it.

But my main question is how are these automatics? Good, bad, ugly? And do these have the 4.10gears or did Toy put lower ones in because of the auto? I am after a daily driver as my 60 gets more built. But want something that can wheel lightly too for fishing trips and such...

Thanks,

stay away from the automatics if you want to get to 60 in under 5 min. they kill the power. I have not heard of them as being unreliable though.

i have an 86 with an auto and it was every bit as fast as my trucks with five speeds.I ended up changeing it our after 200 thosand miles cause i cracked the case in half because of a frozen slip joint . miss the Auto for the daily driving in so cal , but the stick has held up and I wanted to install a crawler box. For 600 bucks Id buy it , you can always change the tranny to a manual if you dont like it.

The A340H is an excellent automatic... Toyota was still using a version of the 340 behind the V8 Tundra up until a year or two ago, although beefed considerably. Short answer, very durable if taken care of.

Unless a complete rat, any solid axle fuel injected toyota is probably worth that.

Gears in an 85 automatic 4-Runner are probably 4.30 Code G282... which keeps it peppy.

Thanks for the advice. I have had a 22R and a 22RTE truck, both manuals. Loved them and miss having a Toy truck. I may be taking a job that requires me to travel and be out and about and this 4-Runner fits the bill well. But just wasnt sure about the Auto.
Me and my dad just briefly looked at it, the top, glass, body and interior are all in great shape. The tailgate is dented though, but I know where some of those are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom