1985 Auto Hub to Manual Hub Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know what you need for an automatic to manual hub conversion on a 1985 pickup? so far I have the two Aisin hubs, and two spindle nut kits and because my axle didn’t have a snap ring on the end I have to get two of them I’m assuming? Is the snap ring called the front axle inner snap ring or the Birfield snap ring? marlin crawler has both of them but I think I only need one.

For reference, the automatic hub that I have only has one nut which I'm assuming is the locking nut. Also, it has a bolt with a washer that pulls the axle out? I think this replaces the snap ring but I'm not quite sure.

just swap them.

Screenshot_20230731-211753_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230731-211808_Drive.jpg

Marlin Crawler doesn't include the two snap rings on the top left of the manual hub diagram, my question is if I need both of them or just one. Aside from everything that I listed on my original post is there anything else I need? Any insight is more than appreciated this is my first time working with hubs I'm sorry if I'm a little lost.

Marlin Crawler doesn't include the two snap rings on the top left of the manual hub diagram, my question is if I need both of them or just one. Aside from everything that I listed on my original post is there anything else I need? Any insight is more than appreciated this is my first time working with hubs I'm sorry if I'm a little lost.
those shown are part of the locking hub.
you can either use the snap ring on the end of the birf, or the bolt like you have.

Does anyone know what you need for an automatic to manual hub conversion on a 1985 pickup? so far I have the two Aisin hubs, and two spindle nut kits and because my axle didn’t have a snap ring on the end I have to get two of them I’m assuming? Is the snap ring called the front axle inner snap ring or the Birfield snap ring? marlin crawler has both of them but I think I only need one.

For reference, the automatic hub that I have only has one nut which I'm assuming is the locking nut. Also, it has a bolt with a washer that pulls the axle out? I think this replaces the snap ring but I'm not quite sure.
I've successfully converted to Aisin locking hubs and you will need everything I mentioned the correct snap ring is called the Birfield snap ring. Do yourself a favor and buy a lock ring pliers, it will make it so much easier to install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom