Hilux 1985 Hilux rebuild from ground up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Check out this rebuild project on a 1985 2.4l Hilux in Oz. looks like there could be a series of build upon vids coming on this one. Would definitely turbo that poor 2.4l though th.

WTF... That guy is a hack. That engine needs to come out, get properly cleaned, put back together. And who puts a valve cover back on and reuses the old gasket? Wow.

BTDT, but I guarantee no gaskets were reused.

Bit harsh KLF, in the vid I am sure he said that the cam cover was only going on temporarily to stock muck getting in there while the body etc. was put back in place. I checked out the other videos on the guys FB page he made it clear that the engine is to be rebuilt at a later date but he wants to check out how it performs before doing that, which make sense on a budget project build. Anyway at least the bloke is making an effort to put the vids out there.

I agree with KLF. Easier to just do the engine now vs put it off and maybe never do it.

Pulling an engine AFTER dropping a freshly painted cab over it is just dumb. Now the inner fenders will get all scratched up, pulling it out and putting it back in. But, I have no doubt that stuff is all scratched up now anyway, having 2 people just drop it on like that, without even prepping the bushings etc. I had 3 people helping me, and I had it hanging on an engine hoist so I could lower it fractions of inch at a time. With lots of blankets and padding all around.

And did he just hose the tranny down with spray paint? It should look like this:

R151F_Done1.jpg

I get the "budget" part of the build, but if you are saying it's a "ground up rebuild", it should be done right.

Not sure where you got the ground up rebuild from Klf, looks to me like this bloke is just trying to do the budget justice. Pull your head in or show us the vids of you doing everything perfect. Down here in Oz we believe what we see not what we read. I could have pulled that picture of a freshly painted gearbox off of half a dozen sites. You got anything constructive to say or you just another troll? Down here mate we are the real deal, no blankets, no bull**** just blokes fixing up trucks. More of this needed.

Last edited:
Shay i think your dead right i think alot of guys will really relate to this dude.
KLF I suppose its the difference between building a truck to abuse off road while not worry about the mechanical consequences and poncing around in something that you've spent to much time and money on that your to worried to climb any decent tracks. I am looking forward to the coming clips and hopefully he'll give us a look what a bogg standard truck is capable of off road.
if your worried about scratching it getting the body on then how the F will you be able to commit yourself through the scrub try not to judge.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: four blokes to put a cab on with an engine crane WTF :rofl::rofl::rofl:
how the F do you prep a Bush anyway please explain
"lowering it a fraction of an inch at a time" your dropping the cab on the chassis not carrying out open heart surgery this bloke will make you sound like a bit of a tool if you carry on like that.
you can check the rest of the vids at Smart Automotive Solutions
I for one will be following his progress.

Yeah good Onya George, down in Oz we use 4wd the way they were intended to be used not as bloody concourse displays. I reckon this bloke is gonna build that lux into a bloody offroad weapon. Yeah easy to pick holes in the blokes vids but gotta give it to hm for the work rate and finish.

KLF did a frame off on the truck in his sig and there is a thread about it. Use the search button.

No sense in arguing over two different use case scenarios. Frame-off resto with the likely intention of increasing truck's collector's value vs building a truck to use in the scrub or bomb through the desert. Two different mindsets here that require differing amounts of attention to detail. It's really that simple. Both are something to be appreciated.

i couldn't agree with you more txlonghorn i think you hit the nail on the head there mate. But i personally still prefer trucks to be put through there paces to see how capable they can be up the tracks.

Not sure where you got the ground up rebuild from Klf, looks to me like this bloke is just trying to do the budget justice. Pull your head in or show us the vids of you doing everything perfect. Down here in Oz we believe what we see not what we read. I could have pulled that picture of a freshly painted gearbox off of half a dozen sites. You got anything constructive to say or you just another troll? Down here mate we are the real deal, no blankets, no bull**** just blokes fixing up trucks. More of this needed.

dude...you wrote "Ground Up" in the thread title....that's where he gets it from.

and KLF knows what he is talking about when it comes to these trucks and builds.

Geez, I forgot about this thread.

@shay, the title of this thread is "1985 hilux rebuild from ground up". That's where I got it from. I guess my mistake was assuming that "ground up" means a full restore, which is what I did. Seems like if someone is gonna go to all the trouble to pull the cab off and repaint it, that it's not gonna be a mud bashing trail rig, you would want to take care of it. I didn't do mine to make it look cool, to increase the resale, I did it so it would be a reliable truck that would last a long time while being as comfortable as possible. This truck already proved its capabilities on the trail in a previous life, it was time for a rescue before the rust demon took over.

I still think it's stupid to put the cab on, then pull the engine to rebuild it. Sooo much easier to work on the engine with the cab out of the way. But I guess I'm not as bad-ass as you guys... o_O

Yes, that is my transmission, after a full rebuild. More interesting reading if you want: My misc restoration ramblings/questions thread

Yeah KLF i see your point on the cab going on before the engine is fully worked over, I know when I rebuilt the 12HT in my 60 it would have been so much easier without a body, but I guess if the bloke is watching the budget and wants to see what the engine can do as is then his approach is ok. Looks like he is keeping up the pace on the re-assembly and it looks like he is working with Roothy on the new 40 Series Milo 2 truck so I reckon he knows what he is doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom