1985 3B engine rebuild due to blowby: No! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

good news as I've been looking at my blowby tube and frowning lately as well, 332000km on mine

good news as I've been looking at my blowby tube and frowning lately as well, 332000km on mine

I have heard turbos are really hard on 3Bs.

Indeed good news. Thanks
What do you see, compared to mine?
same thing as in your video
how were your compression numbers, 400+?

I have heard turbos are really hard on 3Bs.
heat is hard on 3b's..... hence heads and precups cracking ,even non turboed, put an egt on your N/A engine and see
(dont be a hater you know you want one😁 )

Do not use synthetic. It will leak like a sieve. Also, that oil cap test means nothing. Glad your comp tested fine. Use heavier oil if you need more pressure and its hot out.
I see mist coming from my vent tube too. No worries. Add oil, run it. Some folks use a catch can. I ran synthetic, and it wasn't very good. I used to use it for winter. So messy. Drips everywhere. Even more than the normal 3B drips.

heat is hard on 3b's..... hence heads and precups cracking ,even non turboed, put an egt on your N/A engine and see
(dont be a hater you know you want one😁 )

Yea I want one.

My 3B has 110,000km. I don’t want to blow it up, I want to see how many years it will last me.

same thing as in your video
how were your compression numbers, 400+?
I didn't do a classic compression test, but a pressure loss test: You don't use the engine crank to create pressure, but pressure (as per spec) is applied from outside and a computer measures how long it stays resp. how much flow needs to be added to compensate any loss. (Of course, also a healthy engine has some loss, so there are thresholds applicable). There is a fancy curve on the display, but actually the result calculated by the computer matters.
Advantage is: In case, you can also continuously keep the pressure up and better diagnose where a cylinder is leaking. You could basically hear a vent or the rings (in crankcase) whistle. There is also a test agent to do a bubble test.
The mechanic said, this was all not a point on my engine. It was just good.
Downside is: You don't get a figure comparable to a classic compression test (at least I wasn't told, but I don't have the paperwork yet, too).
Cheers Ralf

Yea I want one.

My 3B has 110,000km. I don’t want to blow it up, I want to see how many years it will last me.
So, you rather need an infinite calender on your engine, not a gauge 🤣.

That's kind of a cultural thing, I guess, which I noticed earlier: In the US, EGT monitoring is in high favor and apparently everybody has it.
Here in Germany only few people have it. (We have an open offroader meeting tomorrow. I may ask around who actually has an EGT gauge).
No offense! The advice is good and appreciated.
My truck has absolutely no heat issues. I have an upgraded coolant temperature gauge (the dash gauge is not agile enough).
I can see the slightes change in my temps, e.g. when the thermostat opens during warm up.
Cheers Ralf

yes an actual coolant temp gauge gives interesting real time info, like how often the thermostat opens and closes during normal driving

Do not use synthetic. It will leak like a sieve.
So messy. Drips everywhere. Even more than the normal 3B drips.
Just change the seals if it drips. It’s 40 year old, it’ll need some care. Not a single drop from mine 3B, bone dry with 5W40 full synthetic.

Just change the seals if it drips. It’s 40 year old, it’ll need some care. Not a single drop from mine 3B, bone dry with 5W40 full synthetic.
ya mine is dry too with synthetic
i resealed the pan when the turbo went on though
Why so? Should work fine long time with right tune.
yes....people think the boost is going to crack the head or crank without the reasoning behind why these things happen, but sometimes 'things' do happen... and the turbo is always the usual suspect, not the guy who put it on (for some reason)....

I know the case is pretty much closed by now but just to give you more peace of mind. My 3B blew up at 327,000kms, my blowbly looked exactly like that and oil cap did the same thing. Always started up great even without glowplugs etc etc. My engine would have gone forever if I hadn't had turbo'd it. And even with it being turbo'd it took us across the whole USA and back, then drove around another 25,000 miles the next year in the mountains before the crank finally exploded. Blowby always looked the same and so did the oil cap for all the 70,000 miles of naturally asperated and boosted driving I put on it. I would say you truly have nothing to worry about, maybe a head gasket and precups at some point in the future but piston and bottom end wise I'd be amazed if something were to happen.

Why so? Should work fine long time with right tune.

Perhaps.

I should specify - if you really know what your doing, it can be OK. I have met people who have been running 20PSI of boost for a long time and it’s fine.

Others run 10 PSI and blow them up.

I think this happened because a 3B will run regardless if the turbo is set up right or not (mostly) - and lots of people do cheap home brew kits that end up wrecking engines.

Still not sure on what I think of turboing 3Bs - but I do know I gotta keep my eye on the temp gauge!

Hey there,

i had the opportunity to take a spin in Ralf's BJ73 yesterday.
It runs great and i am a little jealous and disappointed, because my 3B-II with supposedly 5 more horses seems to be in worse condition.

Btw. i run my engine on 5W50 fully synthetic with no leaking issues and i ordered an EGT gauge a couple of days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom