1985 2L - Mismatched Injectors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Got a quandary for you, any wisdom much appreciated!

I pulled the injectors out of my 1985 2L LN56 during a rebuild (full thread forthcoming, it's been a journey) and discovered that one of the injectors is mismatched, see pics below. I didn't think anything of it until I was about to install them into my shiny new head the other day...I had already had the set cleaned, tuned and rebuilt.

There are 3 short injectors (stamped with 2450 3G) and one mismatched longer injector (71-0710). The nozzle of the mismatched injector protrudes out further from the holder, and there's a shorter thread on the exterior holder/housing.

The tech that did the rebuilding says that they should be interchangeable, so I shouldn't sweat it. All the nozzle specs, opening pressures, etc. are identical, it's just the housings that are different. But assuming the brass seat that sits around the nozzle is supposed to bear the 51 ft-lbs of torque (instead of the end of the nozzle), I'd imagine that the nozzle in the long injector will experience some undue stress if I torque it all the way down.

Thoughts? Are nozzles built for that kind of stress, or am I better off hunting down a new injector that matches the others? So far, I've had zero luck tracking down an exact match.

I'll start up a build thread here shortly. It's been a interesting journey...still a ways to go on this truck!

IMG_0681.JPG
IMG_1295.jpg
IMG_0338.JPG

am I better off hunting down a new injector that matches the others? So far, I've had zero luck tracking down an exact match.

Yes.
There is no way in the world I would be putting the longer one back in. Its important the injectors all spray the same pattern and they wont do this at different spacings from the combustion chamber. It may even damage the piston long term if it gets a hot spot.
This is a part number for the Australian LN56.23600-59035 Its a Toyota part number for the complete injector assembly.
Denso will have a different number. If you put my part number into google, there is a lot of info. Some of it suggests its the same as a 3L

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom