1984 - what is this part on the roof? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kenavt

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hey folks - long-time lurker, first time poster. I picked up my very first FJ (a beautiful white FJ60 from an old lady near my apartment) that still needs its first bath, and was really curious about this threaded part I found on the roof at the end by the tailgate. What is this supposed to be used for? I did a bit of searching, but wasn't able to find a thread on this. Thanks so much for the help!

IMG_0200.jpeg
62B9A68C-DC18-42BB-BBF3-6DE5FCFBD362_1_105_c.jpeg

I would venture that is not OEM. It looks threaded - could be an antennae mount.

Totally not stock in any 60 series, FJ, HJ, OR BJ.
It looks like some sort of a wire gland, for roof lights or an antenna.

Thanks folks - I think an antenna makes a lot of sense, especially since the front one is no longer functional (for some reason I think the PO snapped it and bent it over, even though the retracting motor still works whenever I turn on/off the radio...). I didn't see anything with the headliner, so I'll try cleaning this off over the weekend and looking more around the interior for the antenna wires.

Now a NLN antenna mount. No Longer Necessary. You should be able to peel the headliner off
along the rear hatch and get it out of there. Be real particular so you can stop it from leaking and rusting

Instead of removing it, this makes me want to investigate and look at finally getting my ham radio license and adding a radio install! I'll add it to the bottom of my long list of things to do.

Here's mine on the front. Doesn't leak and is barely noticeable. The little dome cover twists off so the antenna can go on.

IMG_1428.JPEG

IMG_1344.JPG
IMG_1429.JPEG

If you plan on keeping it I would recommend cleaning it up some and installing a cap with some dielectric grease to keep everything protected.

Its called an NMO antenna mount.
Yup. NMO mount. And you can use it for CB radios too. Instead of removing the mount, add a radio. You're going to want to clean it up and replace the O-ring. Every cruiser should have at least one radio. That is, if you actually leave the pavement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom