1984 running hot (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That noise sounds water pump related. Did the pump have any in/out play?
When I had the pump out, I checked for sideways wiggle, but not in/out. Didn't read about that until after I had reinstalled it. At the fan, there is no discernable play.

If you squirt a bit of wd40 in the weep hole it can quieten down a bad bearing temporarily. Not a permanent fix, but can sometimes tell you if you have a bad bearing.
Won't tell you if the impeller is scraping due to in/out play though.

I finally replaced the water pump.

Did it without removing the radiator, that wasn't too bad. I did have to remove the batteries (one on each side) to get the shroud off. This time I drained coolant via the cock in the block, which also worked pretty well.

No noise anymore when the engine is running, so I believe the humming/whirring was the bearing in the old water pump.

I will drive it tomorrow to make sure everything is cool.

Question. When you drain the coolant from the block, how do you refill it? I used a funnel for radiators and just added fluid to the radiator until it stopped pouring in. Then I started the engine and kept adding as it burped air out. I guess at some point the engine/coolant gets warm enough to open the thermostat, and then I got violent burping with steam coming out in the burps. I would not want to repeat that.

Thanks

@robcgray You are on the right path doing the burp thing. Sometimes it can be a long process. Get something like this & it will make your life much easier…AND it will get the job done. A tool made to do the job right.

Amazon product ASIN B01I40ZQWE

Bob, (original poster) glad your noise source has been fixed. I want to recommend that you pickup a spare air injection pump and send it to B-Z Rebuilders in Canoga Park, California and have it rebuilt for approximately 200 bucks. If you know little about the age/condition of that sucker, it’s well worth having one ready to go. Point being when / if it decides to seize up ( usually at the worse time possible ) you risk overheating because you already know that belt drives that nice new waterpump also.

Bob, (original poster) glad your noise source has been fixed. I want to recommend that you pickup a spare air injection pump and send it to B-Z Rebuilders in Canoga Park, California and have it rebuilt for approximately 200 bucks. If you know little about the age/condition of that sucker, it’s well worth having one ready to go. Point being when / if it decides to seize up ( usually at the worse time possible ) you risk overheating because you already know that belt drives that nice new waterpump also.
I was just reading another thread about getting those rebuilt. Great idea, thanks for the prod. I'm on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom