1981 Pick-up Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It sure was nice driving 70mph and having cold A/C for the Chocco trip...

This thing is pretty close to me, but it seems to be a little bit expensive for what I have heard you guys discussing for trailer prices. Are there deals to be had in the $1000-1500 range? This particular trailer seems to have been gone through pretty good recently (brakes, tires/wheels, paint, decking, etc).

trailer

Thoughts?

It sure was nice driving 70mph and having cold A/C for the Chocco trip...

This thing is pretty close to me, but it seems to be a little bit expensive for what I have heard you guys discussing for trailer prices. Are there deals to be had in the $1000-1500 range? This particular trailer seems to have been gone through pretty good recently (brakes, tires/wheels, paint, decking, etc).

trailer

Thoughts?

That guy is smoking crack for 2K and they're likely 7K Lb axles (not 7 ton), wheels are bling though. Wonder why he got a new one?

Anyway, the going rate is about $1500+/- for a trailer in better looking condition than that with fenders, ramps and (preferably) brakes on both axles. One thing I learned when shopping is to stay away from landscaping trailers, they're about the same size but structure is not as beefy. You'll know them by the 16" high rails all the way around.

A good example - Sold already: 18' Dovetail Trailer w/ Electric Brakes

Last edited:
That guy is smoking crack for 2K and they're likely 7K Lb axles (not 7 ton), wheels are bling though. Wonder why he got a new one?

Anyway, the going rate is about $1500+/- for a trailer in better looking condition than that with fenders, ramps and (preferably) brakes on both axles. One thing I learned when shopping is to stay away from landscaping trailers, they're about the same size but structure is not as beefy. You'll know them by the 16" high rails all the way around.

A good example - Sold already: 18' Dovetail Trailer w/ Electric Brakes

Thanks for the response Ted. I'm not in a rush, just trying to do my homework and hopefully stumble on something relatively close to home.

I agree with Ted. You can find a good trailer out there just be patient. Also check Harlinecrawlers forum might find one there.

Another thought....

Talk to Ted's wife she will probably make you a good deal on the one that is sitting at their house .

Once you trailer your rig to the trail, you will never want to drive your rig to the trail again. Especially in the summer...

You will find a solid trailer for a good price, just give it time...

Talk to Ted's wife she will probably make you a good deal on the one that is sitting at their house .

I think I just pissed my pants. :(

and Nick is 1000% correct

@tgreco a good friend of mine has come across a trailer like mine. He said the guy wants 1200 and he just put 4 new tires on it. But it's in Chattanooga. He also told me his brother bought a brand new 18 ft dove tail with wooden deck from a dealer in GA. for 2k a few months ago. Might want to call around or get on that inter web and look at what a brand new one would cost. Then try to talk them down off the price. Never know might just get a deal. I'll get you the contact info as soon as he gets it to me.

I understand the desire to schedule around being up there for work but for good trailer at a good price I would not sit on it, they tend to go fast.

Here's my dilemma with the trailer: I don't have a tow rig. While I loved trailering, I can't legitimately keep borrowing my work truck. Thus a trailer puts me that much closer to acquiring a debt that is going to be hard to sell to the wife. With that said, A trailer and tow rig are in the future, but they'll probably be down the road a bit.

I figure if my son keeps wanting to tag along on trips that I better invest a little in safety and pre-fab internal cages are pretty inexpensive. My question to all of you mini-truck owners is:

Does the A-pillar bar that avoids the dash (top photo) really eat up leg room and/or make getting into and out of the cab difficult such that going through the dash (bottom photo) is more desirable?

I'm not terribly tied to the side vents which I would ultimately lose by going through the dash.

Internal Cage.JPG

Internal Cage through dash.JPG

since I've done both internal and exo maybe I can help. Each has pros and cons and both work so it's a matter accepting the ramifications.

• Internal cages look nice but definitely eat up internal space. Leg room is not the issue though, yes it gets in the way but it's tolerable. The real issue is head room, especially in first gen trucks. While I had mine padded and it did help I would not want to roll my rig hard with an internal cage - which i did softly. You will rack your cantelope on the bar going from the A to B pillars and there's almost no way around it. Also, I consider an internal cage a 1X use device. After it's needed your cab will be damaged enough to require repair or replacement so you should factor that in.
  • Exo cages- never been a real fan of them until you need them. A well built exo will save the rig from damage in a mild roll and minimize damage in a hard roll (mine was not up to par) so in theory it's a 1 time and you're done thing. They also allow you to lean into obstacles such as tgrees and rocks w/o fearing damage, and, having the space in the cab is nice too. The problem is they are difficult to build and even harder make them look good but once done I believe a safer choice requiring less work in the long run.
Either way, one of these is in my near future.

attachment.php

Last edited:
My A pillar is like the top pic. I have had no issues with it. But with mine being a 4 Runner it might be a little different as far as leg room.

since I've done both internal and exo maybe I can help. Each has pros and cons and both work so it's a matter accepting the ramifications.

• Internal cages look nice but definitely eat up internal space. Leg room is not the issue though, yes it gets in the way but it's tolerable. The real issue is head room, especially in first gen trucks. While I had mine padded and it did help I would not want to roll my rig hard with an internal cage - which i did softly. You will rack your cantelope on the bar going from the A to B pillars and there's almost no way around it. Also, I consider an internal cage a 1X use device. After it's needed your cab will be damaged enough to require repair or replacement so you should factor that in.
  • Exo cages- never been a real fan of them until you need them. A well built exo will save the rig from damage in a mild roll and minimize damage in a hard roll (mine was not up to par) so in theory it's a 1 time and you're done thing. They also allow you to lean into obstacles such as tgrees and rocks w/o fearing damage, and, having the space in the cab is nice too. The problem is they are difficult to build and even harder make them look good but once done I believe a safer choice requiring less work in the long run.
Either way, one of these is in my near future.

My A pillar is like the top pic. I have had no issues with it. But with mine being a 4 Runner it might be a little different as far as leg room.

Thanks for the quick response guys. I understand the utility of exo-cages but don't really like the look, so I'm definitely going internal cage - a place for a magnetic koozie is more important than lost brain cells. I talked with 4xInnovations and they can fab the A-pillar bar either through (+$25) or around the dash. From riding in your rig Rocky, I agree that the around the dash design doesn't really affect the internal space and thus I may go that route to avoid unanticipated obstacles.

Seems like thru the dash would be a good bit more work to install as well. You'd basically have to remove it to fit everything, then cut it up and fit it and then do the final install. I'd vote around the dash and a helmet, especially for the little man.

Started toying around with a bumper this weekend - working off an old Warn winch plate/bumper I had on a previous vehicle. From this mock up, I think the tricky part is going to be figuring out how to mount the bumper to the frame/front cross member. I'm going to try and keep it a bolt-on only bumper, but I've got a feeling that it'll end up being welded in place. It's going to hurt cutting those purty rust-free fenders...

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom