For Sale 1980 Troopy with Pop-Top in NM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sale Pending

I've been dragging my feet for ages now, but since the truck never gets used I've decided to sell it. This troopy has a Trakka pop-up roof, sleeps 2 adults and 2 kids, seats 6, and is awesome for camping trips. I imported it from Australia about 5 years ago. Quick specs follow and I'll update the post with more info soon. I will also have this at the Rising Sun swap meet this weekend if you want to see it/drive it there.

Drivetrain:
1980 HJ-45 NOT diesel.
Older, carbureted 350 V8
Toyota 40 series power steering (RHD)
H55F 5-speed Transmission
LX rear axle with parking brake at wheels
Air-conditioning added. Ice cold a couple years ago but compressor was very noisy, so I disconnected it.
Ironman (I think) suspension with 33x9.50 BFGs on chrome 60-series rims.
Includes 4.11 and 3.73 diffs.
Long Ranger fuel tank (~49 gallons total capacity IIRC)
Brand new Die Hard Platinum 34/78 battery

Body:
Original 416 Dune Beige paint with not a lot of rust. Needs a new paint job.
I patched some holes that had been cut in it--for lpg, water tank, and air cleaner which I don't have, and a couple little rust spots. All were new steel welded in, I have not put any body filler anywhere. I spray painted the bare steel until a proper paint job is applied. It has some rust in the windshield frame and an ambulance door and a few little spots in the tub, but overall is pretty clean.
Warn 8274 winch on ARB bull bar (with grill guard cut off).

Poptop:
This is the reason I love this truck, but we still don't manage to use it. I know of only 4 Trakkas imported to North America, I think this is the only one set up to sleep 4.
Top is almost invisible when down, pops up in seconds with release of 4 spring hooks and hydraulic struts hold it up.
Allows ~5'9" of standing room with top up.
Bunks 2 adults up top.
Jump Seats have a table between them or table can be used with seats to make a bed for shorter people.
Has 2 ~6 or 8 gallon water tanks that mount under the rear fenders. Only 1 is mounted because the filler for the Long Ranger is in the way of the other. They feed to a sink in the cabinet in the back with electric pump and gravity feed from a drain underneath.
I removed the other cabinet for the stove, but I have it included.

Interior:
Front seats are from 1992-ish 4runner, tan cloth
Part of sleeping bunk is overhead console, has Kenwood stereo and Uniden CB mounted
Dash is clean and original, but I have an '83 dash panel that could be fitted for a newer look.
Door panels are in great shape.
Rear jump seats have brown-ish fabric done by Trakka with matching cushions for the lower bed

We took this to Yellowstone/Tetons a few years ago and lived in it for 16 days with my wife and 2 little girls and had a fabulous time in it. We've done a few shorter trips since, but haven't used it at all this year. It sits a lot and with busy kids I just don't find or make time to work on it. As a result, it does need some TLC. Off the top of my head, that includes:

Paint
The rear is geared 3.73 and front is 4.11. One or the other needs changed.
Carburetor. The q-jet has no choke because it was set up for dual fuel. It is slow to start when cold and is rich here at 7000' elevation, but otherwise runs pretty well.
A/C compressor
Tires are getting old, though they have lots of tread
Probably other little things I'm forgetting.

$15,000.

TroopyPoppedLeft.jpg

TroopyPoppedRight.jpg

TroopyPoppedFront.jpg

TroopyPoppedRearOpen.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! That thing is awesome!!

I've seen, driven and wrenched on this truck and it is really, really nice and clean.

David forgot to mention that it has been in his garage ever since arriving here. Many years ago when David bought it I spoke with the original owner in Albury/Wodonga (NSW/Vic border) who was very passionate about the vehicle and kept it under a car port. Albury/Wodonga is a very dry, high altitude area (for Australia - 550') and is inland a fair way. It is on the way to the ski fields (though rarely snows in town) and cars do not tend to rust there due to the low humidity. For the most part, Australians are not allowed to drive in the snow, so cars don't get to go back and forth to the ski fields much. This is the best place in Australia from which to buy Cruisers in my opinion - unless you get lucky enough to find something in Coober Pedy...

When the top is down on this rig it is nearly indistinguishable from a non pop-top. The rain drip lip is also nearly perfect. He put a MPH speedometer in it and there is also a rear heater. The front axle has factory 40 series disc brakes and the power steering is Toyota factory 40 series power steering: not Saginaw, 60 series or pickup. As I recall, the original owner sourced front and rear axles and power steering from the same LX in Australia.

I can't imagine anyone would be disappointed with this truck, especially at this price. Also, having the original paint on so much of this rig and a non-rusty grille (not repaired - NOT rusty) is a huge bonus.

Last edited:
1980 troopy

How "bout a trade? 81 BJ44V No rust, runs great 2K$ in extra stuff, DD, drive cross country TODAY!

4rth.jpg

P5120133.jpg

Come check it out in Denver this weekend? Where?

Oh, rising sun meet. Gotcha

Some nibbles but no takers at the Rising Sun Rally, so it's still for sale.

Maybe this will help people take a bite.

camping 40s.jpg

Here it is camping two nights ago in the Mountains outside of Denver. David was in bed before anyone else had a tent up.

And this morning, he was packed up with all of his gear dry before everyone else had their laying out in the sun to dry so that we could go grab breakfast. It's a really, really cool truck.

I simply must acquire one for myself someday.

Dan

camping 40s.jpg

That's an awesome pic, Dan!

Yes, the hardtop could still come off. The top has a rigid fiberglass ring on both sections of the top so it is plenty stiff. It's probably as good or nearly as good as a regular top in the event of a roll (which isn't saying much--I certainly prefer a rollbar in a 40).

I have a photobucket site now with a bunch of pics, warts and all. Hopefully I'll paste a proper link.
http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/delawrence01/library/Troopy?sort=6&page=1

Last edited:
I pm'd you, let me know if you got it. Been having trouble with my mail.

David made it there and back using less petrol than my 2F 40 did to do the same journey. We cruised at an average of about 65 I'd say. He only used one quart of oil and went from Santa Fe (where he filled the tanks) to Denver and back up to Mount Silbaugh without filling up once.

On the second night at Mount Silbaugh, it pissed down rain for about an hour - probably over an inch. While my tent stayed dry inside, it was a bit soggy by morning. David was dry, snug and packed up (as mentioned) in about three minutes. It rained most of the way home the following day and David's roof did not leak one drop.

Rocket NM.jpg

Mt Harvard.jpg

That is seriously one bitchen landcruiser! I'm a few years off from being back in the old LC game. What a beauty, good luck with the sale!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom