1979 HJ45 diesel engine won't turn off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You likely have an EDIC Motor or Fuel Control Relay fault.. you need to get your eyes on your EDIC Rod when you turn off the ignition - is it pushing the Fuel Control Lever on the injection pump FORWARD towards the radiator? If it is being pushed forward and the engine is still not shutting down then its length needs to be increased a tiny bit. The EDIC rod looks like this:

1668629198741.png

I don’t see anything is moving when I try to turn off. Where is the EDIC and fuel control relay.

The EDIC is the electric motor bolted to the intake manifold. The Fuel Control relay will be up in the passenger footwell.

Yes.

And the EDIC currently has the Fuel Control Lever pulled back to the Overfuel position for START. These are the three lever positions the EDIC should use for correct operation.

1668636354030.png

Also thats the cleanest H Motor I've ever seen. Well done.

Thanks.
Would the motor just quit like that suddenly? Would that point more to relay?I had it on my lift for a couple months with battery maintainer on.

What does the relay look like?

Something like this.. whilst Toyota called it a "Relay".. its got a Printed Circuit Board inside - corrosion often occurs.. I cant be sure where it mounts on the HJ45 specifically, you may have to hunt around for it. My best guess is still the passenger footwell though.

1668638748041.png

Okay. I think I found it. It’s tucked up under dash all the way to the side. Be difficult to remove.
Is there anyway to test it ?

Seems like they’re discontinued.

I'm unsure of the pinout on the connection to the EDIC motor so any tests without removing it are difficult to conceive of. If you do go to the effort of removing it then it's possible its the same circuit as for the 47 in which case.. this may be useful.. you're going to need to be pretty competent at some basic electronics to take this diagram, related it the relay and device various tests.. if nothing else you could at least test its supply voltage and earth etc and a basic visual inspection inside the unit is well worth the effort.

1668654935313.png

That does seem to be doing almost the right things.. the three positions are being set.. its all just looks like its too far towards the firewall.. I would definitely lengthen the EDIC rod and see what happens - there's plenty of room for adjustment looking at the video. I'm pretty confident with a longer rod that it will shut down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom