1979 FJ40 won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. Waiting for a tow truck. I stopped at an auto store for oil and truck wouldn't start. Had the guy use the power pack on it and still acted like the battery was weak. Saw some smoke from the loom that goes to the headlights. Unplugged all those and put new battery in. Still only turned over a little. Pulled starter and had tested here...tested good. Re-installed and still only turns over very slowly. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Did that again. Still no go. Even replaced the cable to the starter since the one there was a little long. Tow should be here in 20 mins. I even had the guy test the new battery. Still acting like a low/dead battery.

I ordered a starter here at O'Reilly's. Should be here in about 2 hrs. I'll give it a go. Any ideas why I smoked the headlight loom?

Check all your grounds, battery to engine, engine to frame, often overlooked and very important!

No truer words when it comes to the 40 series.

I ordered a starter here at O'Reilly's. Should be here in about 2 hrs. I'll give it a go. Any ideas why I smoked the headlight loom?
It was using that as the ground for the starter.
Ground issues create funny issues

Well the last thing I did before the tow truck showed was replace the neg side battery cable cable. Still low/dead battery feel. Get home and now the starter spins like a top!!?? Heavy gas smell but it won't catch and start. Pretty steep incline off the flatbed and was able to drop it right into my garage.

Second tow ever for the FJ40 (water pump). I've had it since '93 and it's always been reliable.

If its the starter, put in the FJ60 ones. Smaller, spins faster. You can do a search here on it.

If its the starter, put in the FJ60 ones. Smaller, spins faster. You can do a search here on it.

it actually spins slower, it has a gear reduction unit on it.

At least I got the smaller part right!

it actually spins slower, it has a gear reduction unit on it.

Since the late 1980s, the OEMs have steadily moved away from direct drive starters toward gear reduction starters. Although gear reduction starters are more complex, which makes them more expensive, they are also smaller, lighter, and more efficient.

• These starters typically achieve a gear reduction ratio of 4:1
  • Use smaller, faster motors that draw less amperage
  • Well-suited for cold weather when the available cranking amperage from a battery will drop
Of course, a 4:1 gear reduction ratio also means that a gear reduction starter can often produce more torque than a much larger, heavier direct drive starter. In some cases, a direct drive starter can weigh as much as two times more than a comparable gear reduction unit. That represents a significant power/torque to weight ratio benefit, but it also means they are physically smaller and often easier to install.

Starter is now spinning like a son of a gun but still won't start. Tomorrow I will pull the plugs and turn over to blow out the cylinders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom