1978 weber carb help needed 2f/engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First fj 40 i have ever touched so i dont know much about them. I changed oil when i got it home from purchase ,it reaked of gas .I thought it was just from sitting last 2 years.Tune up truck -oil filter,plugs ,fuel filter,etc,ran good drove around neighborhood fine.Next day pull dipstick gas in oil again.My truck has electric fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator,I figure pressure regulaotr was bad ,ordered new 1 went to replace today after truck sitting without running for over a week and as soon as i opened hood smelt gas.Took aircleaner top off, gas dripping down steady from each barrell.Carb is a weber of some sort, key off, unhooked wire to electric pump,fuel still steady dripping down carb onto butterfly valves.I have a clear fuel filter and can see gas dripping steady into it and continuing to go down carb into engine.I pinched fuel line to stop flow but i am at a loss as to why fuel would flow like this with the truck off? Would a stuck float cause this? I assume a new carb would solve this but that is pretty pricey for a 600 dollar truck.Is it that hard to rebuild a weber carb? sorry this is so long just want to give you enough info for a possible prognosis.Thank you so much for your time and any help you can offer.:hmm:

The tank is pressurized due to rapid ambient temperature changes..... loosen the filler cap........

Something has gone foul with the ventilation system.....

Simple fix is to get a vented cap or drill a small hole in the center of the one you have.........

I will try that thanks>How is the tank vented normally?What fuel pressure does a weber carb like to get? thanks

Webers are easy to rebuild

Maybe the float level is messed up. Kits are cheap and I have never seen an easier carb to service.

The need for regulated pressure on a weber has more to with controlling float bowl turbulence.....(its not fond of that).......

It may not even need one, depends mostly on float level setting and the integrity of the needle & seat...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom