1978 FJ40 Float Bowl Fuel Level? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yotamotive

SILVER Star
Threads
Recently rebuilt the stock carb on my 78 FJ40. I adjusted the float level to the factory manual spec of .295 inches. After I got it installed and running I noticed that the fuel level is at the bottom of the site glass. Anyone have any experience with this that would help me avoid the trial and error method of getting to the middle of the glass? Thanks

There are two adjustments needed on the float. One is the height of the float when inverted and resting on the needle valve. This is the 19/64" or .295" that you have done.
The other measurement is the distance between the needle valve and the float tab. This is probably your problem. The float is closing the needle valve too soon and preventing fuel from filling the bowl.
From my directions:
Bowl cover inverted, raise float by hand until it contacts float hanger. Measure distance between needle valve and float tab. Should be 1.1mm or ~3/64". To adjust, bend stop tabs.
Sorry, no picture.

Thanks for the info, not sure I understand what you mean though. The only two adjustments I could see were the .295 and the other was the two tabs that stop the float in the lower position to prevent the needle valve from falling out in the event of running out of gas. The .295 seems to me to be the only measurement that would have any effect on stoping incoming fuel and controling fuel level in the float bowl. Let me see if im reading your instructions right. Bowl cover inverted raise float until stops are contacted (two tabs talked about above), measure distance between top of needle valve (im assuming you mean the small spring loaded plunger on top) to the needle valve tab (.295 tab mentioned above). Then adjust that measurement to 1.1mm by moving the two stop tabs. Still don't see how that will change float bowl fuel level though.

Here is a pic for you.

Last edited:
Realized after reading my FSM that the fuel should be at the middle of the site glass only at idle while running. I checked it while running and it's right where it is suppose to be. Guess I should have checked there first. Thanks again for the info and pic.

Last edited:
I have a picture in my fsm that show a 6mm measurement from the bottom of the air horn to the float as well. I'm currently at this point and everything else is done except for the spacer gaskets. I guess I need to make them.

I used the correct size drill bit out of my drill index. It seemed to work great. I could roll it back and forth and watch the float real close to see if it was making contact or not and adjust till it was just right. Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom