1978 Electrical Connector ID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Coolerman

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.globalsoftware-inc.com
Poking around E-Bay this morning looking for something and ran across this pic: Ad says it's from a 1978 FJ40. Anyone know what it was for?

1978_Misc_WireConnector.JPG

My resto-mod 76 FJ40 (with a 77/78 tub) used that connector to connect the rear license harness. It's mate had a similar shape. Apparently a universal connector.

images

Last edited:
wscbill, was your harness a 76 or a 78? Was that connector OEM? Can you post a pic of how it is used? Built many sub-harnesses for various year trucks, and have never seen that style connector used anywhere except the dome light in early trucks.

wscbill, was your harness a 76 or a 78? Was that connector OEM? Can you post a pic of how it is used? Built many sub-harnesses for various year trucks, and have never seen that style connector used anywhere except the dome light in early trucks.

Sorry, 40 is sold, don't have a picture of that area. The harness was refurbished as part of a professional restoration before I got it. Don't know what year the harness was. I don't believe it was OEM because of the way it was wired. I replaced the rear license bracket (1 wire) with a unit that used 2 wires. As part of that, unwrapped the rear license harness and noticed that only the hot wire coming off that connector was used. The connector itself was located just below the hole at the very back of the rear wheel well, on the passenger side. As I recall, that was the only place that type of connector was used on the vehicle.

Last edited:
Hmmm... so there is a possibility it was used on the rear license harness though I have never seen such a thing. OK then, so anyone else have a pic of where this was used?

Reason I am asking about this: I sell this 2 pin metric connector and can easily duplicate the mini-harness shown in my pic. Just need to know what it was for to see if there is a need for it.

Looked at my '78. The wiring back there looks like it's original, though the previous owner did some sub-optimal repairs. There is no connector like the one depicted in the ebay photo. The license plate lights use two single male "bullet" connectors and they plug into a dual female "bullet" connector.

Hope this helps...

Stock '78. There are a couple of places online that sell these double-female bullets, typically for cycles. I've purchased them for other trucks.

License Plate Connector.jpg

Looked at my '78. The wiring back there looks like it's original, though the previous owner did some sub-optimal repairs. There is no connector like the one depicted in the ebay photo. The license plate lights use two single male "bullet" connectors and they plug into a dual female "bullet" connector.

Hope this helps...

Maybe part of the trailer socket changeover switch?

Rudi

I thought that's what was there for the license lights. I sell those double bullet connectors (even have the triple bullet connector for the early turn signal mess under the dash).

Rudi, I don't know if that was part of the trailer switch over harness, as I have never actually seen that here in the states. Do they have that in your area of the world? If so get a pic of all that for the archives. ;)

Amendment to the statement above: I actually have seen harnesses with the switch over stuff just not the actual switch. I have attached a pic of a 74 harness I worked on last year that had the bullet connectors that would have went to the switch.

ChangeOverSwitchWires.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't seen it here (yet) but keep my eyes open.

Rudi

I may have to get that double bullet from you next time I order connectors. I'd like to clean up that bit of wiring. By the way, your black plastic single connector fits Trollhole's carb solenoid connector perfect. Looks nice, like it's supposed to be there.

I may have to get that double bullet from you next time I order connectors. I'd like to clean up that bit of wiring. By the way, your black plastic single connector fits Trollhole's carb solenoid connector perfect. Looks nice, like it's supposed to be there.

Just send me an email when you need it.

I added that piece of information to the connector description on the website. Might help someone else who has the Troll Hole Dizzy. Thanks!

The Trollhole carb solenoid, not the dizzy. But I have that too......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom