1978 BJ40/42 - Buying one from Canada, anything to look for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i would go with the Gozzard tub...matt has me convinced its a great option.

still wondering if that engine is gonna be a bigger headache than we think....

Any of you gentlemen have any experience with the B engine?
Curious if you found it underpowered....

The math will contradict this but the B actually *feels* faster in a stock rig. Something about the power curve I guess. I'm pretty sure it will lose in a race with a 3B powered rig but if you drive them one at a time the B will seem faster. This has been my experience anyway.

You can't really lose on an $800 rig anyway. drive it around while you fix the body and then swap in a 13BT later :cool:

My folks live just across the lake from you guys and I'm surprised there's a cruiser in NW Ontario I don't know about. I'll have to have a chat with my spies there.

lowenbrau said:
You can't really lose on an $800 rig anyway. drive it around while you fix the body and then swap in a 13BT later :cool

Ya, I was thinking along those lines: Make sure it has a good frame, papers, and is a runner for a while. Tub it, drive it, keep your eyes out for a donor rust bucket parts truck with a 3B drivetrain, buy, build over time...swap in.

Or a 13BT :D

Definately factor a different engine into the picture with time...

gb

lowenbrau said:
The math will contradict this but the B actually *feels* faster in a stock rig. Something about the power curve I guess. I'm pretty sure it will lose in a race with a 3B powered rig but if you drive them one at a time the B will seem faster. This has been my experience anyway.

You can't really lose on an $800 rig anyway. drive it around while you fix the body and then swap in a 13BT later :cool:

My folks live just across the lake from you guys and I'm surprised there's a cruiser in NW Ontario I don't know about. I'll have to have a chat with my spies there.
i have to agree with Bruce here, the first generation B feels like a quick engine. specs don't always do an engine justice. the 12HT and the 1HZ are rated the same hp 135 and the 12HT has 32kg/m at 2000 rpm and the 1HZ is rated for 28.5 kg/m at 2000 rpm but anyone that has driven them both can easily see a huge difference in performance.
the 2 "B" engines i have owned died a painful death with just over 100,000 km on them. neither gave any sign of dieing what so ever, no knocking, rattling, over heating. they both spun a rod bearing.
my feeling on the "B" first generation is stay away form them.
but then that is me...
cheers

Greg_B said:
All good advice, except I would consider the 2LT to be the "notorious" 4cyl Toyota diesel that leaks coolant from cracks, and takes head gaskets. I would say the 3B is notorious for continuing to run even with all the abuse thrown at it. Yes, the heads develop cracks as well, occasionally leaks coolant, and drops pre-cups. In fact the 3B in Poo has developed a severe knock, and is off the road. I will post up when I find out what the issue is.
gb
LOL!!
Greg, my trusted friend, if Canada brought in as many 2L-T as they did the 3B then we could have a much better discusion. it will be a bit but once a few more are on the roads then we will be able to better judge the weaknesses. till then we can only go by hearsay...
cheers

crushers said:
my feeling on the "B" first generation is stay away form them.
but then that is me...
cheers

So that is you, eh?

on the border/title issues, canadian vehicles do have a paper title but it is not a sacred document like the US ones. Possession of a physical title does not necessarily mean you own the vehicle. each province maintains a compuerized register of ownership and the title paper is just a printout of that record at a given time. the computer record is the final word. since you are not required to turn in an old title to get a replacement title or at the time of sale, a paper title is not a reliable indicator that the person on title owns the vehicle. when you buy a vehcile you take a bill of sale signed by the vendor (usually a prescribed government form titled "transfer papers" that has the VIN on it) and you go down to an auto insurance broker or DMV and register the transfer . You are supposed to have the title with you as well but this is not necessary in my experience. what you do need is sufficient proof that the current registered owner signed the transfer papers. normally when we buy a car here privately you complete the sale and exchange money in an insurance broker office so the buyer can verify the vendor is the current registered owner and so the broker can verify the vendor's id if he has any doubts before registering the transfer.

if you need a title document from Canada to raise a US title I can think of two ways to go about it.

First, if the title is in province where it is now and the last registered owner is around, it is easy to get a replacement title in his name from a local broker, and you can use that. If the title is still registered in the yukon it can be done but it will take some long distance calls and they may only be prepared to send it to the registered owner's last address.

however, you could maybe bypass this. If you are taking the truck to the us you ideally do not want to register the transfer in Canada (or you'd have to pay sales tax) but if the last registered owner will sign the bill of sale it may be worth the sales tax to you to register the sale in canada so that you get issued a nice title of your own before heading south. I am pretty sure they will not require a physical copy of the title from the Yukon to do that, and I am also pretty sure that even if they do the Yukon DMV would send a replacement title to the broker even if they won't send it to you.

honk said:
So that is you, eh?
how Honk, i was talking the first generation "B", not the 2B or the 3B. i have had great luck over the years with the 3B, beat the living bejebers out of them, sure i blew a few up but at least i got to abuse them first. i have never looked into it but i wonder if the first generation B might have oiling concerns to the rod bearings...
the 2B seems to do fine, i have seen them in Japan with large amounts of km on them.

crushers said:
how Honk, i was talking the first generation "B", not the 2B or the 3B. i have had great luck over the years with the 3B, beat the living bejebers out of them, sure i blew a few up but at least i got to abuse them first. i have never looked into it but i wonder if the first generation B might have oiling concerns to the rod bearings...
the 2B seems to do fine, i have seen them in Japan with large amounts of km on them.

Uh-huh. I might have liked to hear your opinions before buying a vehicle from you with a 'B' engine, but in fact I can't find any differences in the basic oiling systems of the three models of 'b' engine except for the addition of piston oiling jets to the '3B'.
From a look at the FSM it appears that the differences between 'B', '2B', and '3B' are in total injection volume available from the injection system. Each version of the engine uses a little more fuel than it's predessessor in order to produce the small incremental power increases with each model in the series.
So, to me there doesn't seem to be any reason to avoid the 'B' version as you suggest.

Ken,
my view of the "B" series engines has always been the same, if LOOKED AFTER they are a robust engine that has served the Canadian market well. like i mentioned there was no warning with the couple of first generation B series that died. nothing.
there are trouble points on all engines espec if one does not maintain and drive them properly. as Greg has pointed out, the 3B will run even after the head has cracks and the precups have cracks.
the engine you bought from all appearences has been maintained well and as long as you maintain and not abuse it you will get many many years of faithful service.
i have had bad luck with the first generation "B" so i will not buy another.

sorry to hear that you feel i mislead you in any way. i thought i was very upfront with our dealings.

cheers

Drove up and bought that 78 BJ40 for my buddy today in Iraq. Figured I would post a couple pics

120,000 Kilometers, I didn't think that was to bad? It smoked a little, but I took it for a drive and seem to get a little better. Shifted through all the gears, hi/low range works, 4 wd.

Frame is perfectly straight, even the rear x-member. That hitch that is bolted on really must have kept it from getting tweaked. Interior is better than I thought also? I knew it had the top off so I was really expecting the worse there, guage cluster looks like new and all the knobs are in really nice condition. Seats are all there, front and rear. Drivers side could use new foam, but I figured that.

In the glove compartment it still has the orginial owners manual with the orginal owners info from White horse, Yukon Territory. This guys brother bought it at an estate from the guy who orginally owned it, he died, that was back in 98ish.

That Diesel does sound very cool, quieter than I thought also. And when I drove it, it did seem pretty peppy and pulled it down the road pretty good.

Getting across the border was a piece of cake.

Matt
c1.JPG
c2.JPG
c3.JPG

Congrates to your buddy! Have fun with the project...

gb

Cool! It's lots better than I'd have expected, and LHD to boot.

I just started reading this, and all I have to say is that is a good score. I started with something a whole lot more rusty, same year and engine.

I think the new owner will be very happy.

Yep good score! where is the project at now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom