1976 Non USA Birfield/Hub/Knuckle/Locking Hub identification help! - measurements & images (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
Can someone confirm I need the long body locking hubs for this birf? I was told I have the 9/75- 1/79 birfield that fit with the hard to find Asco/Aisin long body locking hubs.

The first image below is the birfield out of my truck (1976, Non USA FJ40 with front drum brakes). Notice the measurement of 188MM or 7.4 inches.

54847CC1-7C38-47DB-A742-09285013E33A.jpeg

The second image is the short body Aisin locking hub measuring 45mm.
98427ACB-08D2-49FE-B3C1-37FD9E86EC9F.jpeg

I’m adding additional photos to try and determine if the short body locking hubs will work.

Front axel hub from flat are to end of hub measures 66 mm(zoom into photo to see line drawn with market).

How does this compare to other axel hubs?

The one shown should be OEM 43511-60012. Note, this hub requires the larger oil seal that is found on later disk brake hubs. The seal OEM #is 90311-62147 for my year and regional truck. It is replaced by OEM 90311-62001.

3777CBBE-3D0D-47B9-A3EF-068D6DDBF924.jpeg

1C588C6B-005A-4266-925D-B5CEDA7DCCC0.jpeg

Here are images of my knuckle.
48377F9F-3005-421C-A5C9-B06C05C8F48B.jpeg

146CEF5A-590F-477B-B8B3-E427F421D9FB.jpeg

Last edited:
those are typical 75-79 birfs that require the long body hub.

If you want Aisins you should replace the birfields with 79-up style. you'll spend less for new birfields and new short-body Aisins then you will for a pair of beat-up long body hubs.

If you want Aisins you should replace the birfields with 79-up style. you'll spend less for new birfields and new short-body Aisins then you will for a pair of beat-up long body hubs.
Thank You. Ok, birfields are confirmed to be the longer type.

What about the axle hub?

This appears to be different than what was on 75-78 US spec trucks with disk brakes or the earlier trucks with front drums. Is the hub longer to compensate the longer birfields?

The locking hubs that came with my Colombian truck appeared to fit and function. These are in the images measuring 45mm.

Thank You. Ok, birfields are confirmed to be the longer type.

What about the axle hub?

This appears to be different than what was on 75-78 US spec trucks with disk brakes or the earlier trucks with front drums. Is the hub longer to compensate the longer birfields?

The locking hubs that came with my Colombian truck appeared to fit and function. These are in the images measuring 45mm.

The 75-up large Non-US drum brakes use a wheel bearing hub unique to that setup. They are very close in dimension to a disc hub besides obviously not having provisions for mounting rotors. The Wheel mount surface is about 1/8" off from a disc hub. there's a thread in the 60 section where I lined up every 6-lug land cruiser wheel bearing hub to compare.

The 75-up large Non-US drum brakes use a wheel bearing hub unique to that setup. They are very close in dimension to a disc hub besides obviously not having provisions for mounting rotors. The Wheel mount surface is about 1/8" off from a disc hub. there's a thread in the 60 section where I lined up every 6-lug land cruiser wheel bearing hub to compare.
That's very helpful. Here is a link to the post #40. Below is the image from your post.

The first one (left to right) is the late 40 model. The second one from the left is the 79-90 front drum brake hub (large Non-US front drum).

It appears these two hubs are the same height? If yes, then the birfield I have is the same that was installed on disc brake hubs - 9/75 - 78 requiring the unobtanium Aisin/Asco 43530-60012. Right?

1659031391520.png

That's very helpful. Here is a link to the post #40. Below is the image from your post.

The first one (left to right) is the late 40 model. The second one from the left is the 79-90 front drum brake hub (large Non-US front drum).

It appears these two hubs are the same height? If yes, then the birfield I have is the same that was installed on disc brake hubs - 9/75 - 78 requiring the unobtanium Aisin/Asco 43530-60012. Right?

Correct. The hub on the left is a 8/80-newer disc hub with the pressed rotor studs. From what I have seen the large Non-US front drum is the same 76-90 (I have seen it on 60 series as well).
The overall body height is the same as they use the same spindle (bearings). The mounting surface is slightly different height.

Yes your birfield and spindle are the same as a disc brake version.

As you have seen the short body Aisin's can work however the outer tip of the birfield can contact the hub dial making it hit or miss. Look inside your hub dials and see if here is a contact mark. A lot of the South American trucks have short body Aisins with long birfields from 70 series.

Correct. The hub on the left is a 8/80-newer disc hub with the pressed rotor studs. From what I have seen the large Non-US front drum is the same 76-90 (I have seen it on 60 series as well).
The overall body height is the same as they use the same spindle (bearings). The mounting surface is slightly different height.

Yes your birfield and spindle are the same as a disc brake version.

As you have seen the short body Aisin's can work however the outer tip of the birfield can contact the hub dial making it hit or miss. Look inside your hub dials and see if here is a contact mark. A lot of the South American trucks have short body Aisins with long birfields from 70 series.
This is solid tech…

The short body hubs are definitely hit or miss. Often, they do not stay in “free” position and go back into “lock” on their own due to the short body with the birf end hitting the inside of the hub dial.

Images below showing the end of the birf sticking out past the short body housing by 4mm. Also image of inside dial and then loose fitted dial on hub body.

My questions now are:

1/What brand short birfield would be recommend?
2/Do I need to grind down the front axel knuckle housing to accommodate shorter birf?

8C1D0616-B657-43A7-BBB9-58544DDB8502.jpeg

F4FAF1F1-3A0A-435E-9055-44D89DD502BC.jpeg

5160DE24-3904-4CB2-8E21-3EFDB4971BE2.jpeg

My shop and several other popular vendors carry Japanese made aftermarket stock-style replacement birfs for 79-up, we use these all the time for disc brake conversions on early-74 Cruisers.

You could also buy used 79-up 40/60/mini birfs, or cut down the end of your long birfs and cut a new snap ring groove in them.

No experience with the City Racer reproductions.

T
I saw these but they appear to just be “replicas” and may not be of same quality as originals.

You have to grind inside the ball end not the knuckle. The flats on the later birfs are smaller so they don’t quite fit. You have to grind a little at the top and bottom. I did it for a 76 many years ago.

Thanks for This. I was not very clear describing the area to grind in my second question. I should have said inside “the ball joint end” as shown below. Since most recommend a birfield swap to run the shorter birf allowing us many more locking hub options…I’m leaning towards that option.

0DB688E5-8A9B-4C0F-8BF0-17D4482497A2.jpeg

I’m also linking to this Aisin Long Body Hub 43530-60012 thread as Curt @cruiseroutfit just chimed in and may consider making a quality long body hubs If enough demand is there…However, it’s very easy to just swap birfields.

Link here: Aisin Long Body Hub

As it turns out, after my knuckle rebuild and the sourcing of the long body hubs, it appears the long body hubs do not fit. The inside of the long body hub interferes with the required travel of the birfield to engage/disengage the axel. The measurements of the birfield according to CruiserOutfitters showed this birfield variant required long body hubs. Why are these not fitting?

2ACA39CA-CF95-49CB-8315-AA5E5E3801FD.jpeg
D2984566-8110-420D-8B2F-5DE259B6D676.jpeg

Image shows the groove where the C clip is installed. The inside of the long body hub came close to the C clip making the travel distance to engage and disengage the axel too short. The short body hubs allowed more distance to travel in and out.
F7A9D629-C867-4B90-8906-A95DFD3EC4DC.jpeg
90EEF3B3-A147-4C24-A4F3-F6150B50C81C.jpeg

Image show the short body locking hub installed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom