1976 FJ40 Build Up/Resto Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so where did you mount your carb fan?
I need to mount one on my 75. however, the 75 does not have the mounting bolts on the side vent. so I am trying to decide if I just want to mount it to the fender side.
Also, wiring issue, how did you do your fan wiring?
Great build, nice fab work.
Thanks
Gary

I fabbed up some brackets to mount it where the window washer fluid container was originally. This location permits the fan to draw in cool air from the side vent. I used a normally closed relay (SPDT - I believe) wired to the ignition fuse box. When the ignition is ON, the relay is open, when the ignition is OFF - the relay is closed. So the fan will only run when the thermostat reads high enough and the ignition is OFF.

Here are the part numbers etc.

The relay I used is an Echlin AR102 relay - from a 1972-1984 Ford A/C blower cutoff switch: Price: $12.99
https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...193328227&An=0

The adjustable Thermostat control w/probe is made by Hayden - part number 226203: Price: $17.99

OEM: 226203 | Electric Fan Thermostat | AutoZone.com
P1010012 mod.JPG
P1010013 mod.JPG
P1010010 mod.jpg

Last edited:
Jump Seats

PO gave me a set of jump seats when I bought it. Decided to have them redone. I don't think they are the original seats from my 2/76 - anyone know which year these would have come out of? IIRC the 76 would not have the kickstands and would have had rubber bumpers on the bottom of the seat frame instead. That said, I think the stand is probably more stable anyhow :meh:

Had them sandblasted and powder-coated gloss black by the same place that did my roll bar. Then had a local upholstery shop add some new foam and vinyl - turned out well. The seat belts are from CCOT IIRC and are long enough to be used as a strap to hold them upright when not in use - works well.
P1010002 (Small).JPG
P1010006 (Small).JPG
P1010014 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
.I don't think they are the original seats from my 2/76 - anyone know which year these would have come out of?

No, those aren't original. Late '78 on. There are variations thru that range as well so I can't give you a specific year. Your '76 would've had bump stops.

same thickness as the original sheet metal

hi nomis,
first congrat for your good work and your time sharing it on this forum.

I am looking for a thrusted reference about metal oem thickness to repair : main frame, inner frame, brackets, metal sheet on 1967 fj40, 1077 bj40, 1979 fj45. and i read over many post that oem gauge changes with years.
my question: when you said it's the same gauge as original. you assume it by measuring or from a reputable reference?

regards

Next up was the rear quarter rails. The driver's side rail lip had some rust through in a few spots, so I decided to cut it out and fab up a new piece. I'm using 16 guage cold rolled steel for all repairs unless otherwise noted. This is the same thickness as the original sheet metal. I don't have the luxury of owning an uber-fancy metal-fab shop, so all this is done by hand in my garage at this point. The first pic is the lip removed - cut out with a sawzall. Second is of the replacement lip in place. Still have more grinding to do at the time of the pic:

hi nomis,

my question: when you said it's the same gauge as original. you assume it by measuring or from a reputable reference?

regards

The steel I used is 16 gauge which is approximately 1.5mm thick off the top of my head. I bought mine from a distributor in Tampa that specializes in sheet metal. I believe they had to special order it for me as they didn't stock it normally.

AC Install

I have been considering installing A/C for a while now. Finally had some time after recently graduating law school and prior to studying for the bar. I decided to go with the Old Air Products cool only unit which is similar in appearance to the OEM Nippondenso under dash unit. With this kit, you retain all of your original heating system which was the look I was going for. Here are the details:
-A/C Kit: Old Air Products CAP-200B (with front mounted controls delete - controls are located remotely in the dash)
- Vintage Air compressor and alternator bracket: P/N 15465-VTB (Tell Old Air products you do not need their bracket and they will credit you when you order) I picked up the Vintage Air bracket from Summit.
- The Old Air products kit will come with all the hoses, drier, compressor and condenser but you will need to have the fittings crimped on once you sort out where you want your lines installed.

Bracket, Bracket Installed, Backside of Bracket:
IMG_1831 (Small).JPG
IMG_1834 (Small).JPG
IMG_1902 (Small).JPG

I also used a wide groove single pulley on the A/C clutch - Old Air p/n: 21-4515. The wider pulley matches the width of the other factory pulleys on my '76.
The compressor itself is a Sanden 510 model IIRC.
The condenser is 18x17 and took some work to shoe horn it in place - but it will fit. I had to modify c-channel in the horizontal radiator support to permit the condenser to sit flush in front of the radiator and behind the front bib. You will also notice the smaller power steering cooler mounted to the right side of the condenser.
The drier (aka receiver) is mounted on the pillar in front of the firewall.
The belt for the a/c, alternator, wp, crank is Napa p/n: 22588 - though it was a tight fit and I would recommend going with a belt an inch longer.
For the compressor hard line fittings I used lines that angle down and back for a cleaner install: Old Air p/n: 12-0054

Belt Routing, Condenser installed, Drier Installed:
IMG_1846mod (Small).jpg
IMG_1849 (Small).JPG
IMG_1880 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Finally, I installed the evaporator under the pax side dash. Had to trim the bottom of the dash pad. Then measured twice before cutting the holes in the firewall with a 1 1/2" hole saw. Grommets are provided with the kit to protect the hoses. Then I had all hoses crimped locally. Drew a vacuum on the system to check for leaks - no leaks first time. The remote fan and temp controls fit in pre-existing holes in the dash - after I opened them up a bit with the dremel. I also drilled out a 1/2" hole for the drain line. Finally, I had the system pressurized and then filled with the appropriate amount of R-134a at a professional a/c shop here in Tampa. The system blows colder than my other more modern vehicles at this point. Drove it to the beach yesterday and it worked like a champ in 90* weather with Florida humidity. The truck should get more use now and the wife and I won't arrive at destinations with sweaty backs anymore. All told I have about $1100 in the system at this point give or take which is cheaper than similar systems available that I considered.

Evaporator Installed, Hose routing:
IMG_1876 (Small).JPG
IMG_1910 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
I realize this is an old thread but was wondering how you did the "knob delete" on the evaporator? I'm currently getting ready to order the same set-up (yours looks as close to original as I could find) and Jay at Old Air Systems said that a "delete" is not an option but I could either plug the holes when I moved the knobs or I could glue a similar piece of plastic over the area where I remove the knobs?

Cleaned up the fiberglass cap. Removed all old caulking in the rain gutter and replaced with 3M flexible caulk to keep the water out. Also, had to fill up a few superficial cracks with some resin, sand, prime, block and paint with Cygnus white. Installed a new OE style perforated headliner as well.
View attachment 439512View attachment 439513View attachment 439516
Nomis,

Where did you get the rain gutter or was yours in good shape? Mine is shot. Also in the process of making a lot of rust repairs. Some not as bad as what you had, hopefully. I'm still in the paint stripping stage as previous PO had the rig painted about 5 years ago and it appears a lot of bondo was used to cover rust spots and not very good repairs at that. So, your thread was a wealth of information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom