1975 Dune Beige FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just picked up this 1975 FJ40 in the past month.Odometer shows 70,200 miles. It was an Arizona truck for the bulk of its life, then partially restored (mechanically) in 2018 and 2019.

The engine is from a 2F from a 1976: 2F-077633. It was rebuilt by TPI 4x4 in Nashville just a 1,000 miles ago or so. The front axle was replaced from a 1976, so it has disc brakes. I will include an image of the work done. Suffice to say, it runs really well.

The body needs some love. All the door seals are missing, or barely there. I removed the top (will post pics later) and the seals there were completely dried out and rotten. Guessing the top had not been off in a LONG time.

The truck has been repainted. It was originally 416 Dune Beige, but was later repainted, possibly the light Beige Toyota changed to in later years. I am not a fan of the lighter color, but LOVE Dune Beige, so that is my goal, to get it back to that color. The paint is in pretty bad shape, very dull, chipping, does not extend under the hood or in the interior. They didn't take anything off when they repainted. I pulled off the rear marker lights to check a dead bulb, and can clearly see the Dune Beige behind the rubber gasket. The body and frame are in relatively good shape but the rear seal needs to be replaced and the quarter panels need patched on the curve at a minimum. I am considering getting an aluminum tub for the back ned as I intend it to be a daily driver (only about 3,000/year) in Iowa, year round. I'd love some opinions about whether to bite the bullet and do that, or do my best to preserve what is there and patch as needed.

The interior needs a lot of work. Seats need recovered, door panels are missing, etc....

The truck is not a 'survivor', in my opinion, due to the engine replacement, although it is an original engine, so I don't think I'd be reducing value with the aluminum body. And for the most part, I don't care if it did. I love this thing and have no plans to sell it. I just want it to look 'good' and not rattle so loud (due to no door seals).

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. I have not posted yet, but I have certainly benefitted a LOT from the knowledge base here with my 1988 FJ62 that I purchased a few years ago.

Thanks in advance,

greg

DSC02990.jpg

DSC03003.jpg

DSC03028.jpg

DSC03022.jpg

Attachments

• FJ40 work done.pdf
    242.5 KB · Views: 172
Welcome to the madness Greg. That's a very nice rig you have there, congratulations! Enjoy the journey and keep browsing the classifieds for good deals on parts you may need but beware, these things can become an addiction. I just bought a bunch more parts today that I absolutely did not need but the deal was around the corner and not one that I was willing to say no to. Looking forward to more pics of course.

x0HssOq.gif

More pics of the body.

Removing the hartop:

Damage to hardtop

Rail for hardtop

Driver's Side corner

Passenger side corner

Rear sill

Great rig Greg, and welcome!
I have a Feb. '76 so your engine bay looks really familiar.
My factory color was also 416 dune beige, but a previous owner ruined that with some weird silver that I can never quite match for touch ups.

The only thing still beige is the dash. I like the color so much I wax and polish it. Unfortunately, returning the entire rig to the original color piece by piece is at the bottom of the list for things to do.

IMG_2042.JPG
IMG_2040.JPG

More pics of the body.

Removing the hartop:

Damage to hardtop

Rail for hardtop

Driver's Side corner

Passenger side corner

Rear sill
What you are calling "damage" we call "nearly pristine" here in the upper rust belt :)

Save the body and only drive it in summer is my vote.

Last edited:
August would still be a 75 model year.
Engine serial no. is roughly 30k too high to be original.

Thanks Brian. Looks like discs started 9/75 and I didn’t have the spreadsheet to check to engine serial number. Sure isn’t far off from where it was originally though.

Save the body and only drive it in summer is my vote.

Unfortunately, that's not an option. I will be driving it in the winter. It's a vehicle, not a toy, and I will need it, especially when it snows. But, fortunately I only need to drive it around 3,000 miles a year.

I have a 10/75 (76 model) in the same color.
The carrot 044 (1).jpg

By the date was day I moved the other biege cruiser to it's new home that was bought the day before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom