1974 or earlier Warn upright (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Threads
I found a good price on an ARB front bumper, and it has a hole I need to fill, so I've been looking for a used warn upright...found one, but curious to get some advice as to whether this older style is worth buying or not? Asking price is $300. Warn said this one was made prior to 1974 and no parts are available, but they did send owners manual, parts list and mounting instructions. Cable controls I assume get mounted inside the vehicle.

Attachments

• Model 8000.pdf
    617.7 KB · Views: 280
  • Controls.pdf
    581.4 KB · Views: 217
i like them old Bellville winches... very reliable.

Good to know - thanks! I have no experience with them. Actually, I have no experience with winches at all...

Assuming it works, are their parts that might/could break that would be difficult to find or fix? I'm not super hard on stuff, so assume light to moderate use, not severe use.

Just looking out for people

Hey is the guy selling it names John and is from California. If it is email me. I got jerked around on a winch that looks exactly like it and same price.

Hey is the guy selling it names John and is from California. If it is email me. I got jerked around on a winch that looks exactly like it and same price.

Nope - the guy is local to the Seattle area. Glad you've got a fellow mudders back though :)

I would hold out for an 8274 for a couple of hundred more. It has a better brake and the cable controls are a PITA.

i would take it but shipping would kill the deal

but

i agree, the next generation 8274 is worth the wait.

So, the guy dropped the price to $225. He'd stored it on it's side, oil ran into the motor and it won't run. It ran when it was on his truck (10+ years ago).

With the price-drop, should I still wait for an 8274? How finicky are the cable controls? Obviously there'd be some work to set them up. Also, at this point w/out a functioning motor it's harder to evaluate the condition of the winch overall.

But the cheap-skate in me is strongly drawn to a lower price...if left to my own on this, I think I'd pass and find an 8274...but I don't want to pass on the deal of the century either (unless it isn't!).

$225 for a bellview that needs a motor is far from the deal of the century. Personally, I wouldn't even buy one when you can hold out for an 8274.

I picked up an 8274 that needs a motor for $100 (including cable). I'd hold out a bit longer. My $0.02

That is not a Bellview Winch. It is a 5000 series Like a 5687 from 1974 or earlier

I have a Bellview winch , A Bellview winch will say Bellview on it!

correct, Warn bought out Belleview in the 60s and rebadged them the 5687.
they are still the Belleview winch series just under a different tag...

think GM and Chev trucks and you get the idea.

Here is one ! I was just talking to a Friend of a friend of someones uncle who had a lawsuit agaist Belleview. .............. A guy was winching around the late 60s or early 70s he got the cable looped around his leg under tension ?????????????? The only way to free himself was to keep winching until he severed his leg. That was the end for the 5687. Then came the dreaded 8200.

friend of the friend uncle is talking bull****.
there is NO WAY you can not back the cable back out...
think about it, there is two ways to operate the old Belleview style winches.
cable control INSIDE the cab and the lever out front. it has to be held down to work, release the lever and the power stops.
how the hell did the fawkin idiot get the cable around his leg? and why didn't he just release the lever and pull the cable back out by hand?

BS

Thanks for helping me think through this. I've emailed the guy to tell him I will pass. Back to looking for an 8274!

friend of the friend uncle is talking bull****.
there is NO WAY you can not back the cable back out...
think about it, there is two ways to operate the old Belleview style winches.
cable control INSIDE the cab and the lever out front. it has to be held down to work, release the lever and the power stops.
how the hell did the fawkin idiot get the cable around his leg? and why didn't he just release the lever and pull the cable back out by hand?

BS

I got this story while picking up some parts in Klakamas after I had surgery down the road in Portland a few weeks back!~

Last edited:
i have an older warn on my trailer and it winches anything on there that its hooked to,including an upside down bus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom