1973 FJ40 on Ebay with 5000 miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Nice lookin' truck alright. I am a complete rookie when it comes to FJ's but it looks like the CB is aftermarket. Won't stop me from bidding on it though. Let's see, $10,500.00 should be sufficient. Going out to clear a place in the garage right now.
Vic
Redlands, CA.

That's genuinely a nice piece but I'll reserve my opinion that it's an original and not a resto until I see it.

FE

Value

I would not pay more for an original low mile 1973 stocker FJ40 than I would for a restored 1973 stocker FJ40. So many of the systems are in question with such low miles that a restored 1973 FJ40 like the one restored in Meridian, ID would be far more desireable to me. I know there are folks that disagree with that and want the unrestored truck. I don't mind restored as long as the person has 20-50 photos to document the work.

I would not pay more for an original low mile 1973 stocker FJ40 than I would for a restored 1973 stocker FJ40. So many of the systems are in question with such low miles that a restored 1973 FJ40 like the one restored in Meridian, ID would be far more desireable to me. I know there are folks that disagree with that and want the unrestored truck. I don't mind restored as long as the person has 20-50 photos to document the work.

What?:confused:

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm
Im going to say the reserve is not over 30k, But it should and will bring over 40k if it was a 79 or later, I would own it and drive it every day to work! The pursuit of Shanes' happiness..............

Off to buy a 99k one ower 62.....................Later

Rear gas tank

It looks like they also added a reverse light and a aux gas tank. That is alot of work to drive 5k miles!

It looks like they also added a reverse light and a aux gas tank. That is alot of work to drive 5k miles!

Reverse light is factory, :flipoff2:

AUX tank was a cool option 34 years ago for a dealer ad or 4x4 shop. Back then there was not alot of profit in vehicles and options were added for extra profit margins. Just like leather, sunroofs, lift kits, TRD packages, Super chargers, wheel and tire packages. Just think in 30 years what you will say about those dealer added items.

$$

Shane- I agree that $40k is realistic if and only if it were a ultra low mile original 1979 to 1983 FJ40 that was not messed with (CB hole).

Also 5k miles means trouble and work to get it road worthy. I am thinking new radiator, fuel lines, brake lines, carb rebuild, fuel tank, brake cylinders, tires etc.

This story is just like the guy in North Idaho with 6311 miles on a 1980 FJ40 who wants $60,000. It is still for sale I am sure. Of course he will tell you that he has had offers within 10% of his asking price. This kinda line just screams Bulls***. These trucks are not ultra rare Ferrari Daytona's or Hemi Super Bird's.

With the hacked dash I bet it ends around 15k-18k?

Last edited:
Shane- I agree that $40k is realistic if and only if it were a ultra low mile original 1979 to 1983 FJ40 that was not messed with (CB hole).

Also 5k miles means trouble and work to get it road worthy. I am thinking new radiator, fuel lines, brake lines, carb rebuild, fuel tank, brake cylinders, tires etc.

This story is just like the guy in North Idaho with 6311 miles on a 1980 FJ40 who wants $60,000. It is still for sale I am sure. Of course he will tell you that he has had offers within 10% of his asking price. This kinda line just screams Bulls***. These trucks are not ultra rare Ferrari Daytona's or Hemi Super Bird's.

With the hacked dash I bet it ends around 15k-18k?

I stick to my original estimate of 40k +

But I would rather have this and what beauty she is! Not one flaw and what all others should be judged by. heck some pics look like ad pictures for a brochure. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=170093102212&rd=1&rd=1

FJ62

Shane- I cannot believe the FJ62 on EBAY. I am floored at that. Beyond my belief. Over 20k for a FJ62? WOW

Hi All:

Nice truck, with some documents as to its history to boot! Too bad about the hacked CB mount/hole in the dash! :frown:

Whether it is worth more than $20K is up to the buyer! :D

Regards,

Alan

When i bought my 73 with 39,000 miles on it that was in storage for 26 years. The only thing I had to do was a carb rebuild. Looks good to me.......

greenfox "When i bought my 73 with 39,000 miles on it that was in storage for 26 years. The only thing I had to do was a carb rebuild. Looks good to me......."

That is good information to know. I had no idea. I thought several systems would need a overhaul. I stand corrected. You didn't buy new tires and flush fluid systems?

Having recently plied the E-bay Motors waters I suggest the following:
  1. ask for new date stamped pics with today's paper in them to confirm that these are not a years old.
  2. I possible travel to look at it. Take trusted knowlegeable person with you.
  3. Have a couple independant inspections performed. Around $100.00+ a pop for the inspections.
  4. Escrow or payment & delivery in person. The seller has a feedpback of only +4.
  5. Perform a background check on the seller and title holder. $40.00 on line to gain significant info
  6. If shipping the vehicle do even more homework
Not saying there is anything to worry about here. Just beware as remote purchases can be tough. Personally went through 5 sellers who had various issues before finding a like mindedindividual who was interested in selling exactly what he represented both in the description and other comunications.

Just my $.02. Best of Luck

I havent read everything so dont flame me if I missed it, but where are the floor matts?

Where is the sound proofing on the floor too?

Maybe the early ones in the US did not have it?

Last edited:
ashtray hole cut foir CB of course.

I'd say its the real deal, look at the frame pic where they endercoating was removed to find the VIN #.........and you can see on the orignal recipts the charge for undercoating. I see nothing from these pics that makes me think its not genuine.

survivor cars(in great shape) are IMOP worth more than restored, they are only orignal once.

I wouldn't worry about the mechanicals much, yeah there might be a bad hose here or there, but when I drug that 72 El Camino out of the barn a few years ago with 28K on it......it only need a rear wheel axle seal and water pump......after sitting for years

front on frame looks like it says ROW 12 on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom