1972 FJ40 Doors- Refurb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to refurb the doors as best as possible for a 1972 FJ40. There is rust at the bottom that is starting to pop up but the overall condition is pretty decent. I was wondering if anyone had any tips. I took apart the doors based on a thread in this forum and it was great.

Has anyone had success maybe pouring in some rust killer and plugging the bottom holes?

I also noticed there is some weird foam or something on the very bottom of the door. Should I remove that?

Right now I am trying to figure out how to get rust remover on certain parts because it did wonders to the tracks. And it looks like the weather stripping for the glass won't keep out water so should I spray some paint on the inside of the door once the rust has been removed? Thanks!

Greg

can you post a link to the thread about taking apart the door? I have not been able to find it through searching

Any idea how to get the rust out of the inside of the door? I thought about plugging the holes and just dumping in rust remover and just spray some paint...

Update; the first door most off the rust has been removed but pouring a bottle of rust remover in the inside and put in a few garbage bags. Did pretty good and now I will just spray some paint in. Doesn’t look like they are meant to keep out water. The second door had this problem; the window mechanism is shot. Can I take apart and buy the gear or do I have to buy it all? Thanks!!!

38C47925-4CAA-4084-8326-F3E296EFB21B.jpeg

98285EF5-3587-4AEC-BC76-EE5F047CDB65.jpeg

Is the gear shot or just that tab? If just the tan fabricate a new one. Mark’s Off-road probably has one. Imagine you have to buy complete assembly.

Is the gear shot or just that tab? If just the tan fabricate a new one. Mark’s Off-road probably has one. Imagine you have to buy complete assembly.

85% of the gears teeth are shot. Everything else looks functional. The paint of the outside would be the issue since it’s a color from previous owner. I could always just do black I guess. Thanks.

You do t need the entire door, just the crank mechanism. They are out there.
I was wondering if you could get just the gear for the crank mechanism or if you have to buy the part all together which seems to be the answer. Thanks.

First door start, not great, not awful. A lot of weatherstripping to replace in these things haha.

4A3DBE0E-E374-4279-8C61-DA38CEDACC19.jpeg

DEE54129-8CAD-4E46-9587-25AAA7CA247D.jpeg

Just spray a whole can in there. Will have to do more but that should at least help with the rust getting worse. Now to get some new weather stripping!

DF639840-4BBE-4823-8A0B-FE2E8261417E.jpeg

83E110AC-2914-4A23-9122-ED9FE37E1FAA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom