1972 FJ40 Alternator Won’t Charge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. I am trying to iron out some electrical issue in my 11/72 FJ40. This has the original in-line 6 in it, with an externally regulated alternator.

Here is the story:
Vehicle was recently moved states. It was at my father in laws house before we got it, and he would start it up and drive it around but it wasn’t driven long distances and not at night. When it arrived here, it was nighttime, and it started up but with the lights on it would not stay running unless you kept the idle high. I thought it might be some carb issue as it rose about 4,000 feet in elevation. I messed with the air/fuel screws just a hair the next night, seemed to be running better. Drove it around for a bit, and then came to a hill, with lights on. When I let off the gas to shift it died. Turned the lights off, jumped it, and was able to get home with the lights off.

Here is what I’ve checked:
Pulled voltage regulator apart to look for any damage. Visually it looked okay.

Battery is new as of 11/21. So 8 months old. I put the battery on the trickle charger over night. That temporarily solves the problem, I can run the lights, it fires right up, does not stall when the idle drops. It seems to fix the problem, until you drive for long enough and the voltage in the battery drops enough.

With the Fj40 idling, I have no change in voltage to the battery. I tried running the RPM’s up, and voltage still remains the same. No change.

I figured it could potentially be a bad alternator. Father in law had never replaced it in 10 years of ownership, so figured it could be time. Purchased an alternator from napa that is externally regulated. Voltage at battery did the same thing.

Engine fuse is good. Battery voltage was 12.4 when I did these tests, and I have 12.4 Volts to the IGN wire running to the voltage regulator. I cleaned out the grounds for the voltage regulator, pulled the bolts and shined them up. I pulled the grounds from the battery cables to the frame, cleaned them up.
Positive battery cable was able to wiggle free with my hand. I thought that might be the ticket, however no dice.

I ordered a new OEM voltage regulator from VintageTEQ. Japanese part, figured if it didn’t fix the problem it could be my spare as many of the posts I have read about this have suggested. It arrived today, and I was so hopeful that would turn this thing around. I fired it up, and still no change at the battery voltage while idling, or while revving it up. Voltage on battery was 12.1 today, and voltage remained 12.1 at all RPMs.

I also verified that I had good voltage on either side of my fusible link. Speaking of fusible links… I am wondering what some of you might think of this setup. To me, this wire looks too big to be a fusible link. I thought the rule was to have a wire less than 4 inches long and 4 Guages smaller. I attached a photo below.

I have noticed on the ammeter that it is always ticked slightly to the negative side. When I turn the lights on, it ticks a little further left. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that for the battery to be charging it needed to be slightly positive.

Thanks

8A57DCF7-686E-4A5D-A725-63D1C7A4AF8D.jpeg

The black wire is what I determined to be the “fusible Link”. The second small red wire runs to an aftermarket radio someone installed into the jockey box.
317EA766-5701-4896-983A-C96159579DCE.jpeg

A Photo of the voltage regulator that came off of it.
192B5514-405A-413A-B45D-E066A177489A.jpeg
new alternator

I unplugged the original voltage regulator for a bit and Landcruiser ran exactly the same. Battery takes a charge… it has been doing the same problem with both the old and new alternator, and old and new voltage regulator. Somehow the battery is still not being charged.

Three images that may be useful for diagnosis.. two to verify your regulator, a 3rd to verify your regulator to alternator wiring. When checking for 12V+ use a test lamp with an incandescent globe to confirm any reading you take with a digital meter.

1649900987136.png

1649900998593.png

1649901023015.png

Three images that may be useful for diagnosis.. two to verify your regulator, a 3rd to verify your regulator to alternator wiring. When checking for 12V+ use a test lamp with an incandescent globe to confirm any reading you take with a digital meter.

View attachment 2980883

View attachment 2980884

View attachment 2980885

he stated :

he just got a new one from some place called , VintageTEQ ?

ordered a new OEM voltage regulator from VintageTEQ. Japanese part,

I unplugged the original voltage regulator for a bit and Landcruiser ran exactly the same. Battery takes a charge… it has been doing the same problem with both the old and new alternator, and old and new voltage regulator. Somehow the battery is still not being charged.

i think i know your issue .......

i have had this scenario my self more then one time

please PM me , ill go over the Remedy in detail with you

matt

View attachment 2980883

View attachment 2980884

View attachment 2980885
Thanks for the photos, I have the regulator that is 3 pronged. I will run through this on both of my regulators, new and old just to check the difference and post what I find. I also have the regulator that is 3 pronged, I believe that started in late 72 and ended in 78 or something like that

i think i know your issue .......

i have had this scenario my self more then one time

please PM me , ill go over the Remedy in detail with you

matt
Just PM’d you. I have read through just about any thread I can find on here regarding these charging issues. Gotten about as far as I can.

Posting some tests as I knock them off the list.

1. Ground running from battery to frame, and ground running from frame to engine block have been cleaned up and both will show same voltage as the - battery terminal. OHMs are also at 0 on both of these cables.

2. Checked my fusible link again. OHMs are 0 and same voltage there as when connected to the + battery terminal.

3. I tested for resistance on my White/green (field?) and white black (ground) wires running from the regulator to the alternator. Both were .01 ohms.

This afternoon I will run through a couple of alternator tests and see what I find.

Here are a couple of threads I have combed through:

So on the ground or “E” running from the alternator to the voltage regulator, this diagram shows it grounds somewhere in between the two. It is my understanding that the ground for the regulator is also the bolts that mount into the firewall. Where would the additional ground, like this diagram shows be?

Went out today and ran through a few tests.

Battery is 12.47 after I let the trickle charger sit on it for a while. With truck on, battery is still 12.47.

At the B+ I am getting 12.28V (B+ and negative battery terminal with the alternator turning. From what I understand that indicates an issue… either bad alternator/regulator or something within that circuit. Basically alternator is not being told to put out higher voltage?

I ran through my basic checks again just to verify everything… and with the engine running I realized I am getting 0 volts to the IGN (red/white) entering the regulator. I shut it off and kept the key in the ON position. I was shocked because prior to installing my new regulator I had power there, and my engine fuse was good. I double checked to make sure my volt meter was working by checking battery voltage. 12.5 volts. Checked the engine fuse… good to go.

I wiggled the fuse box to see if something would happen and sure enough… the flasher solenoid that had been not working started making noise, as the blinker was left on. I checked the IGN voltage and had battery voltage there.

Fired it back up, ammeter is now positive!

Checked my battery voltage while running, getting a nice 14.5 volts.

Happy days.

I will post what I find when I take that fuse box apart to examine it and clean some stuff up. It’s working now but I’m thinking it could get wiggled “off” again some how

22 caliber bore brush does wonders on fuse clips. As does a whole new fuse panel from city racer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom