1971 FJ40 Complete Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gmac1

SILVER Star
Threads
I'll start by saying I am not a mechanic and learning (with a lot of mistakes) along the way.

I am doing a complete frame up rebuild. Next step is to figure out how to check the frame (rumor is that my wife's dad more than a few times...) and then sandblast it and paint it with something like POR or Chassis Saver. Also starting to look at:

1) Rear axle rebuild including disc brake conversion.
2) Front axle rebuild with disc brakes also. Hopefully the donor axle from a mini truck works out.

Definitely interested in thoughts/opinions from folks that have WAY more experience than I do. I'll post pictures and information along the way.

IMG_1134.jpg

Cut off that booty fab tow hitch before you start on the frame. Double your planned spend. It's hard to take shortcuts when you start out doing a thorough job on the foundational elements. Body work will be the biggest budget item. Electrical will be the biggest time item. Get them both right the first time. 10-15 years from now, those will be the two items most likely needing work.

It requires a mental commitment, stick with it and you will be rewarded. If you think you will make a lot of money when you sell it, think again. You are about to invest some serious coin, enough for a decently nice used car.

Have fun

I imagine you could check the frame for symmetry with a tape measure, or a piece of string

Thank you for the tips/feedback thus far. Luckily I'm doing this with the intent of NOT making money. It's a vehicle that her dad purchased new in Arkansas (first Toyota in his town). I'll check the frame as mentioned. I'm in the process of ordering parts from Cruiser Brothers and Steve (aka Poser) for rear axle rebuild. Hope to start that this weekend :)

Yep as mentioned you can check the frame with some string a tape measure and a level.

So.... your not a mechanic.....is this how you received the vehicle or did you at least assist in taking it all apart?

Anyways good project, you will need patience, much time and possibly tens of thousands of dollars dependent on the shape of the body, drivetrain and everything else at least that's been my experience so far on my frame up.

More pictures!

Yep as mentioned you can check the frame with some string a tape measure and a level.

So.... your not a mechanic.....is this how you received the vehicle or did you at least assist in taking it all apart?

Anyways good project, you will need patience, much time and possibly tens of thousands of dollars dependent on the shape of the body, drivetrain and everything else at least that's been my experience so far on my frame up.

More pictures!
My wife's dad had bought it new in Arkansas and about 20 years ago we trailered it up here to Northern Virginia. Found it didn't run and many parts were missing so sat in the woods under a car cover for most of that time. With Covid started taking it apart about 6 months ago so at least I took lots of pictures and labeled things as I was taking it apart. One bonus is it doesn't have a lot of rust :) As you mention - definitely not a cheap endeavor !!! Will find the pictures from before I started and upload some. Thanks for the encouragement!

Didn't realize you were in Manasas until now. Come to the Capital Land Cruiser Club Swap Meet on Oct 2, 2021 in Annandale. Details are on the CLCC club house forum. Lots of 40 owners with a lot of experience to help you along the way.

I did a frame off on my 71 back in 2009-2010. I can point you to some good local services providers.

Didn't realize you were in Manasas until now. Come to the Capital Land Cruiser Club Swap Meet on Oct 2, 2021 in Annandale. Details are on the CLCC club house forum. Lots of 40 owners with a lot of experience to help you along the way.

I did a frame off on my 71 back in 2009-2010. I can point you to some good local services providers.
Will do. It's on my calendar :)

I'm currently working on the rear axle differential so I can get the axles removed (C-clips). One mud article (I looked at as many as I could find) suggests I need to "slide" the cross shaft out to remove the center spacer block - makes sense. Where I am stuck is that cross shaft isn't "sliding" out. I've hit it with a brass drift so that about 3/4 of it is out (not enough to get the spacer block out yet...). I've pulled, twisted, hit the ridge a bit near where the bolt threads and just am not getting it to "slide out".

Just keep hitting it? The video shows how far I have the cross shaft out thus far. Also, the picture of the cross shaft shows more scoring than I was expecting. Is that normal or need to get a new cross shaft? Learning as I'm going so suggestions welcomed on questions above. Also, observations of what might else I should be fixing as I have the cover off?

IMG_1149.jpg

My guess is the other end of the shaft is worn just like the one in your pic, and its grooves are acting like a hook, catching on the edges the other parts it goes thru. You need to get it out, try wiggling it, twisting it, and possibly pound it out. You might try to remove it from the other end. The shaft wlll need to be replaced along with the spider gears that wore the grooves at a minimum. You may be looking for another 3rd member or a complete rebuild with some replacement parts. There's been a lot metal shavings floating around for a long time.

My guess is the other end of the shaft is worn just like the one in your pic, and its grooves are acting like a hook, catching on the edges the other parts it goes thru. You need to get it out, try wiggling it, twisting it, and possibly pound it out. You might try to remove it from the other end. The shaft wlll need to be replaced along with the spider gears that wore the grooves at a minimum. You may be looking for another 3rd member or a complete rebuild with some replacement parts. There's been a lot metal shavings floating around for a long time.
Thank You for the ideas and what I'm looking at. Will update in a bit ...

Your first shot of the axle focussed on the black plastic. So we can't see the teeth on the shaft. The outer end looks good. Normal dark signature on the seal area. I did a full frame up and complete redo on a 70. It's in my signature. You might look through that build for reference on some of your steps. There are other builds that you could look through too. Go through a few of them and you might have all the reference you need. That offer on the local chapter is your best bet though. Best of luck to you taking on this challenge without much experience. Get through this and you'll have something to be proud of.

Your first shot of the axle focussed on the black plastic. So we can't see the teeth on the shaft. The outer end looks good. Normal dark signature on the seal area. I did a full frame up and complete redo on a 70. It's in my signature. You might look through that build for reference on some of your steps. There are other builds that you could look through too. Go through a few of them and you might have all the reference you need. That offer on the local chapter is your best bet though. Best of luck to you taking on this challenge without much experience. Get through this and you'll have something to be proud of.
Thank You. I'll definitely go through your build pages. I have a LOT to learn here...

Thank You. I'll definitely go through your build pages. I have a LOT to learn here...
I've made it through page 5 of your build. 9 more pages to go. I hope to be at the rolling frame stage by spring. We'll see. I am moving a LOT slower than you did... Thanks for the inspiration.

You're welcome. PM me if you have any questions I can help with. I'm full of Cruiser knowledge but don't claim to be the top dog here by any means. Just years of experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom